My 18 year old is moving to Kazakhstan to attend the university of life.

Started by Greg, October 22, 2023, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

My 18 year old graduated from grammar school in July and since has had a 3 week holiday in Thailand and 2 more weeks in Fatima helping to build a house for his godfather.  Last 3 weeks he has been grape picking in Kent for a local winemaker called Chapel Down.  Hard graft.  None of the English workers lasted the hard work and so they brought in pickers from Kazakstan, Turkmenistan and other places.  They worked much harder.  Because my son is bilingual he translated to the foreman

Now he is getting ready to move to Kazakhstan in April 2024 where he plans to teach English to the children of the oil and gas rich locals and fake it till he makes it.  Plan is to stay at least 3 years.

Luckily there is a healthy Latin Mass community there under Bishop Athanasius Schneider.  Lots of Volga Germans, Latvian, Poles were exiled to the steppe under Stalin and these are their offspring.

I am jealous.  Should be an adventure at 18.

Anyway, should be an interesting insight into that Latin mass community.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LausTibiChriste

That is awesome, good for him!

We do a lot of work in Kazakhstan...great people
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

As I understand it, the Volga Germans speak a dialect of German far removed from modern day German.

And I guess most speak Russian as their first language by now.

Greg

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 22, 2023, 02:45:11 PMThat is awesome, good for him!

You fly to Kazakhstan in the private jet?

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Greg on October 23, 2023, 02:31:20 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 22, 2023, 02:45:11 PMThat is awesome, good for him!

You fly to Kazakhstan in the private jet?

I wish. But we routinely organize handling across the country. Astana, Almaty, etc

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Greg

drummerboy

Lucky him.  He'll learn more there than at university, plus the experience
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Greg

He got a gang of Kazakh pickers 2 extra weeks of work today.  He said to the foreman "what is the point of keeping the other people when they are picking half of the grapes that the Kazakhs are" and the foreman took his advice and kept the Kazakh workers.  The women who ran the Kazakh team was really pleased and has exchanged social media details so he can give them English lessons on line.  There is also a gang from Turkmenistan attached to them.  They are staying in caravans somewhere near Ashford and basically want to earn as much money as possible so they can return and support their families.

Everyday they are not working is a big loss to them as they have nothing else to do here in the UK.

I think they are very surprised to find a well educated Englishman grafting like they are and picking grapes.  All the other English have fallen by the wayside.  Mind you I don't blame them at £10 per hour.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Greg on October 23, 2023, 04:49:24 AMWhat does handling across the country mean?

Handling is the generic term for accepting an aircraft. Have a marshaller there, parking is booked, customs is ready to receive pax etc etc. We only work with non-scheduled flights, so all this stuff is taken for granted when it comes to scheduled flights.

Company works across central and Eastern EU. I'm good friends with our KZ manager - if your kid gets sick of teaching English/picking grapes and wants to work at the airport, I'll see if I can hook him up. If he's native level in English and Russian he'll be worth his weight in gold.

Plus he'll get to hob-knob with all the billionaires walking off their private jets.

- MaximGun

awkward customer

Quote from: Greg on October 23, 2023, 12:07:34 PMHe got a gang of Kazakh pickers 2 extra weeks of work today.  He said to the foreman "what is the point of keeping the other people when they are picking half of the grapes that the Kazakhs are" and the foreman took his advice and kept the Kazakh workers.  The women who ran the Kazakh team was really pleased and has exchanged social media details so he can give them English lessons on line.  There is also a gang from Turkmenistan attached to them.  They are staying in caravans somewhere near Ashford and basically want to earn as much money as possible so they can return and support their families.

Everyday they are not working is a big loss to them as they have nothing else to do here in the UK.

I think they are very surprised to find a well educated Englishman grafting like they are and picking grapes.  All the other English have fallen by the wayside.  Mind you I don't blame them at £10 per hour.

Why is your son helping to drive down wages in the UK, Greg, by advising local farmers to use cheap foreign labour?

Driving out the lazy English in favour of gangs of workers from abroad. 

Your son needs a good talking to.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

drummerboy

Quote from: awkward customer on October 23, 2023, 02:08:33 PM
Quote from: Greg on October 23, 2023, 12:07:34 PMHe got a gang of Kazakh pickers 2 extra weeks of work today.  He said to the foreman "what is the point of keeping the other people when they are picking half of the grapes that the Kazakhs are" and the foreman took his advice and kept the Kazakh workers.  The women who ran the Kazakh team was really pleased and has exchanged social media details so he can give them English lessons on line.  There is also a gang from Turkmenistan attached to them.  They are staying in caravans somewhere near Ashford and basically want to earn as much money as possible so they can return and support their families.

Why is your son helping to drive down wages in the UK, Greg, by advising local farmers to use cheap foreign labour?

Driving out the lazy English in favour of gangs of workers from abroad. 

Your son needs a good talking to.

Same reason farmers hire Hispanics in the US: most whites simply refuse to do the work
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

awkward customer

Quote from: drummerboy on October 23, 2023, 05:12:48 PMSame reason farmers hire Hispanics in the US: most whites simply refuse to do the work

They refuse to work for the low wages that the migrants are willing to accept?