C++

Started by LausTibiChriste, October 15, 2023, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

Anyone here proficient in C++?

I've dabbled in programming (mostly Python + Javascript) but I want to start developing aircraft for flight sims (ladies keep your skirts on, please). C++ and Java are the big contenders for developing aircraft systems, but C++ seems the better option for a myriad of reasons.

Gonna get started with the freeCodeCamp tutorials on Youtube, but if anyone here knows anything about it, would love to hear your insight + suggestions.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Mushroom

I asked my husband and he said C++. He's been programming since he's been a kid and he does it for work. But you could also use C- with a game engine.

andy

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 15, 2023, 07:19:17 AMI want to start developing aircraft for flight sims (ladies keep your skirts on, please). C++ and Java are the big contenders for developing aircraft systems, but C++ seems the better option for a myriad of reasons.

You mean aircraft models for existing flight sims (like flightgear https://github.com/FlightGear/flightgear/tree/next/src/Aircraft ) or flight simulator from scratch?

The Curt Jester

Once upon a time I knew some basics.  I'm fairly certain I couldn't remember a single thing about it now.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: andy on October 15, 2023, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 15, 2023, 07:19:17 AMI want to start developing aircraft for flight sims (ladies keep your skirts on, please). C++ and Java are the big contenders for developing aircraft systems, but C++ seems the better option for a myriad of reasons.

You mean aircraft models for existing flight sims (like flightgear https://github.com/FlightGear/flightgear/tree/next/src/Aircraft ) or flight simulator from scratch?

Aircraft for Microsoft's Flight Simulator (maybe XPlane too), such as Fenix, PMDG or the like.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

andy

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 15, 2023, 09:15:59 PM
Quote from: andy on October 15, 2023, 08:23:50 PM

Aircraft for Microsoft's Flight Simulator (maybe XPlane too), such as Fenix, PMDG or the like.

Not sure about others, but https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/mergedProjects/How_To_Make_An_Aircraft/Contents/Files/The_Flight_Model.htm does require any coding it seems.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 15, 2023, 07:19:17 AMAnyone here proficient in C++?

I've dabbled in programming (mostly Python + Javascript) but I want to start developing aircraft for flight sims (ladies keep your skirts on, please). C++ and Java are the big contenders for developing aircraft systems, but C++ seems the better option for a myriad of reasons.

Gonna get started with the freeCodeCamp tutorials on Youtube, but if anyone here knows anything about it, would love to hear your insight + suggestions.
It's a similar syntax style to JavaScript, so you should be able to read programs relatively quickly. Biggest difference is that you manage what's in memory yourself while python and JavaScript have a garbage collector. I think you're looking in the right spot for tutorials, but I would recommend something on the FCC site itself rather than videos- I find it's easy to trick myself that I know what I'm watching. Hope it goes well!

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Hat And Beard on October 16, 2023, 08:55:23 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 15, 2023, 07:19:17 AMAnyone here proficient in C++?

It's a similar syntax style to JavaScript, so you should be able to read programs relatively quickly. Biggest difference is that you manage what's in memory yourself while python and JavaScript have a garbage collector. I think you're looking in the right spot for tutorials, but I would recommend something on the FCC site itself rather than videos- I find it's easy to trick myself that I know what I'm watching. Hope it goes well!

Thank you!

- MaximGun

andy

It's a similar syntax style to JavaScript, so you should be able to read programs relatively quickly.
[/quote]

You have no idea what you talk about. Yes, the JS syntax is kind of derived from Java (which in turn got it from C/C++) but the style is absolutely opposite. JS is build on the Schema paradigm actually.

Mushroom

Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 15, 2023, 08:49:07 PMOnce upon a time I knew some basics.  I'm fairly certain I couldn't remember a single thing about it now.

Same, I learned some in university in a programming class (Intro to C++) but they teach you out of a textbook. Personally, I don't think everyone can program because it's something you have to be passionate about. I did take a class by some Game Programming students and they taught you how to do a simple game using C++ which was cool.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: andy on October 16, 2023, 10:18:01 AM
QuoteIt's a similar syntax style to JavaScript, so you should be able to read programs relatively quickly.

You have no idea what you talk about. Yes, the JS syntax is kind of derived from Java (which in turn got it from C/C++) but the style is absolutely opposite. JS is build on the Schema paradigm actually.

:toth:  I simply mean in the way that java/c++ are visually similar as opposted to the styles of python/ruby/etc. There are huge differences in certain areas, but when it comes to scanning code and parsing it in your head, I think C++ makes sense to a JS programer. Especially at the intro tutorial level that I suspect the OP is embarking on. Hopefully having a desired application/need to learn it will be good for bridging the rest of the gaps. 

andy

Sorry, I perhaps overreacted. I have done professionally C++ for may years in top telcom teams. It takes a longer while to learn how to write a good code in C++, especially once you involve more advanced libraries with a lot of implicitness build in.