Eastern rite

Started by Rob, June 02, 2018, 12:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I'm looking for any advice or suggestions for my first visit to an Easter Byzantine service. I don't have a Latin mass close enough and I don't really want to go to NO Mass anymore.
I'm just a troubled soul living in a modern world who is greatly misunderstood

jovan66102

Just follow what everyone else does. Don't worry about how you cross yourself. No one will pay any attention. Also, I strongly suggest not worrying about keeping up with the multiple Signs of the Cross the people will be making. If you start attending regularly it will all start coming naturally.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Patriarch

What Jovan Said. A hint for the Sign of the Cross is everytime one prays: "Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit" or mentions the Trinity, feel free to cross your self. It's a Holy Mass, a wondrous  Qurbana: Divine Liturgy.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

aquinas138

In addition to the previous suggestions, I also recommend not worrying about following along with a book. Watch the liturgy, pray along with parts you know, etc. If you attend regularly, you'll know the fixed parts very soon – the Byzantine Divine Liturgy changes very little Sunday-to-Sunday, and we're entering a stretch of the year where changes are minimal. Attend for several months, and you'll likely be familiar with much of the music, the bulk of which rotates on an 8-week cycle for Sunday Liturgies.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.