May be delayed in entering seminary. Some updates.

Started by Xavier, July 09, 2018, 05:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

So, folks, have an update of sorts. Partially bad but also ok in one sense. The Good news first: At home, there is no more opposition to me pursuing a vocation. There was one condition, or request, however, it was that I continue working this year, and go to pre-seminary next year. I thought it over, spoke to my priest, and said yes. Slightly disappointing, as I wanted to do nothing more than dive deep into my studies, but I try to do all my parents ask as far as possible; it's also reasonable, this way I'll have more than enough for my seminary education fees for all 6 years. My only fear is that I may already be slightly late, compared to many of my future brother seminarians, at 29, but I'm resigned to God's will on that now. Every day of serving as a priest for however short or long a time as God wills for me will be the greatest joy and highest honor of my life.

My current job is in Finance Consulting, is a 9-7 role and has comfortable pay, decent benefits and lot of learning along with some traveling. I may actually be scheduled for a project in the Middle East in a couple of months, as one of our main clients is from that region. I've always wanted to go to Jerusalem for a couple of days at least! To visit some of the places where Our dear Lord and Lady walked, where They shed blood and tears for our salvation, where Their bodies rested before being gloriously taken up. I may do that when I visit the Middle East, where I have been once before. So all that'll probably keep me occupied for the next year or so. I can also work more on my Latin before entering.

I usually sleep early and wake up around 2 or 3.  That way, I have plenty of time to study. Before I discerned a call, I used to mostly study for my career. I completed two levels in certifications like CFA and FRM, as those were desirable to BNY-M where I worked. They're also highly regarded in the investment and consulting industries and get you higher pay and more opportunities in abundance.

Now, I'm not interested in pursuing any of that anymore. My deep desire is to take vows as a Franciscan one day, and devote my life to God and humanity. I want to write a book defending the Catholic Faith against Protestantism and Orthodoxy one day, and also explaining to pagans and Jews why they should become Christian.

Latin of course is absolutely necessary for a priest. That has first priority over the next 3 or so years. Some texts in the Fathers and Latin Doctors are best read in Latin; a little can be lost in translation. After that, the Greek Fathers have next priority. So I would like to learn Greek as well. I want to submit a thesis and scholarly research toward ending the Byzantine Greek schism. That should keep me occupied until 2026 at least! And that's when I hope my seminary studies will be complete.

Thanks for all your prayers and support, dear brothers and sisters. Please continue to pray for me, and be assured I will keep all the SD family in my prayers all the days of my life. God bless.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

ServusMariae

Welp, my entry into sisterhood has also been pushed back by months of illness & a whirlwind of events, so we are more or less in the same boat. Also, my spiritual director expects that I must remain a faithful Catholic in this secular world, not only when I step my foot into the convent.

Keeping you always in my poor little prayers, dear Xavier.  :pray1: :pray2: :pray3:

Kaesekopf

Why the hell are your parents dictating your vocation?

You're 29 years old.  If there's no impediment to enter now, do so.

And, didn't you say you're going to sspx seminary?  How do you intend to write books and theses while in formation?  And how do you intend to become a Franciscan?   Your post raises so many questions.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Xavier

Does not St. Paul say, Eph 6:1" Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is just. 2Honour thy father and thy mother, which is the first commandment with a promise: 3That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest be long lived upon earth."

Also, there are some specifics about my family situation you are not familiar with, Kaese, and if you knew them, you may have a different opinion. Not going to go into all that now but suffice to say my family will be very happy if I go to seminary after one more year of working. And I want to honor that.

As for the rest, sorry for the confusion, I will be going to the SSPX. I thought there were some Franciscans (my favorite monastic order) affiliated with the SSPX and that it was possible to enter that. I haven't really checked that recently, maybe it's not so. In that case, I'll go with normal seminary life, and try to live Franciscan spirituality along with it. Hope that clears it up.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

mikemac

I think you will make an excellent priest Xavier.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Xavier on July 10, 2018, 04:11:24 AM
Does not St. Paul say, Eph 6:1" Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is just. 2Honour thy father and thy mother, which is the first commandment with a promise: 3That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest be long lived upon earth."

Also, there are some specifics about my family situation you are not familiar with, Kaese, and if you knew them, you may have a different opinion. Not going to go into all that now but suffice to say my family will be very happy if I go to seminary after one more year of working. And I want to honor that.

As for the rest, sorry for the confusion, I will be going to the SSPX. I thought there were some Franciscans (my favorite monastic order) affiliated with the SSPX and that it was possible to enter that. I haven't really checked that recently, maybe it's not so. In that case, I'll go with normal seminary life, and try to live Franciscan spirituality along with it. Hope that clears it up.

Matthew 4:20 - And they immediately leaving their nets, followed him.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Before you leave you should use your connections at bony to land some deserving young man (or woman if you will excuse the heresy) a job.  This is a no lose proportion for you since you don't need to worry about your professional reputation if they don't work out.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Serviam

With fear and trembling work out your salvation.

Xavier

Thanks for the tip, Greg. I once took a class informally for some final year MBA students preparing for interview, and one of my friends made it and is still working there. You're right, I could just unload a bad employee on them and run away : D, but in all seriousness he's working well and they're very happy with him.

Kaese, thanks for that; it was perplexing for a while to know what to do for certain. When I first discerned, I thought my call may be two years away. After a while, it seemed to be immediate. Finally, it seems to be one year from now. I'm not absolutely sure but I try to do as my parents or superiors direct in all things. Isn't that a means to know the will of God for your life? My view is a person should obey his parents in all things except sin before he is married or becomes a Priest and if he is to be a Priest, he should obey his superiors in all things except sin after he enters seminary. Isn't obedience one of the 3 monastic vows along with poverty and chastity? Are monks exempted from obeying the 4th commandment and honoring reasoning requests from their parents? There are certain financial reasons for my decision.

Hi Heinrich. I love the FSSP. I believe their general chapter is going on. The SSPX General Chapter starts today, July 11th. Hope His Excellency Bishop +Fellay is re-elected and continues his bold stand for Catholic Tradition in the Church for 12 more years. As for why SSPX, I think part of it is because I already know quite a few SSPX priests and am very happy within the Society. So I see no reason to change. But, I know our brother Serviam is going to FSSP seminary, and I believe he will be a great Priest of God one day soon. God grant we see blossoming friendships and brotherly love among SSPX and FSSP Priest in the future (including on this forum!) as we all, Priests, Fathers and Mothers of families, and all Catholic laity, work for the restoration of our beloved Church.

And thanks a lot, Mikemac. That's very kind of you. I won't let you down, Mike. Pray for me, brother, and I will be praying for you and for all our SD family always.

Thanks a lot also, Sisters ServusMariae and Philomena, for your kindness and your prayers. God bless you all.

Christe Eleison

Dear Xavier,

Please watch this short video. Approx. 7 minutes long. May God bless you.

You are in my prayers.

A Eucharistic miracle took place in this Church.

"On Easter of 1171, a Eucharistic miracle occurred when blood spouted from the host during consecration"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6rlLIuxK8E&list=RDx6rlLIuxK8E&t=144

:pray2: :pray3:

Deus Caritas Est "La Santa Messa: il Miracolo dei Miracoli"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_in_Vado,_Ferrara#cite_note-1

Michael Wilson

Xavier,
if at all possible, do not delay your entry into the seminary until next year. Kaese is right.
:pray2:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Xavier

Wow, thanks for the beautiful video, Christe Eleison. I love where Christ is shown in the Priest as offering Mass and bleeding and sacrificing for us.

Fr. S also mentioned Eucharistic miracles when he was here.

Thanks, Michael, for your prayers and your advice. Fr. H just wrote me a few days ago to tell me to keep doing what I'm doing for now, as there is no urgency. He will be back after some time and will let me know what to do after that. My Superiors are aware of the situation and I'm ready to do as they say. Will give an update if something changes. God bless.