Green leafy vegetables and other 'healthy' foods could be bad for us

Started by awkwardcustomer, April 30, 2019, 08:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on May 14, 2019, 08:54:39 PM
for what its worth, Nourishing Traditions recommends you soak nuts.  Then you dry them in a dehydrator or very low in an oven.  I have done this and they are tasty.

Perhaps soaking nuts does reduce their phytic acid content a bit, depending on how long they're soaked for.  Some websites say 3 days.  A quick google survey showed this may be the case - for phytic acid.  But what about the other antinutrients?  We could post contrary links endlessly.  I found two research papers which showed no substantial decrease in the antinutrient contents of nuts after soaking.

Perhaps the traditional way of eating nuts is best, which is when they're in season locally.  Same goes for fruit. This would give the body time during the rest of the year to eliminate the build up of antinutrients that these delicious foods contain.

I may be going through an oxalate detox right now.  I say "may be" because I don't have the equipment necessary to test whether or not the hard-as-glass gritty bits coming out of my eyes and mouth really are calcium oxalate crystals or not. Apparantly this is quite common, according to those warning of the dangers of oxalates in particular.

On one occasion, I had an intense, piercing headache on one side, followed by piercing spot pains on the same side of my face moving downwards.  And then, I was suddenly crunching on something, which I spat out.  Then it happened again, that gritty sensation in my mouth, but this time I managed to catch whatever it was.  It looked tiny, white and square with defined edges.  Also it didn't dissolve, or soften or crunch up. 

On another occasion, after a similarly piercing headache, I was wiping fingerfuls of gritty stuff out of my eyes, and also managed to catch one.  Again, it looked tiny and white with defined edges.

I don't know if these were calcium oxalate crystals being eliminated as a result of my new low-oxalate diet.  All I know is that I was eating lots of high anti-nutrient foods thinking they were healthy - wholegrains, fruit, nuts, veggies, seeds etc - and had also reduced my meat intake.  For some reason, my health also collapsed, and since I eliminated about 90% of these foods from my diet, I have felt much better.

And despite the not so pleasant effects of the detox, my mind and my eyes haven't felt so clear for ages. 

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Traditionallyruralmom

thats great!  I think for most people, our own body is the best guide for health, if we know how to listen to it. 
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

awkwardcustomer

Actually, such obvious symptoms are the result of cutting out too much, too soon, according to those who are warning about the dangers of high antinutrients foods.  I should have tapered off gradually.

The good news is that it's easy to moderate symptoms if they become too unpleasant. Just eat some cranberries or drink a cup of tea.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  

Graham

Crystals are traveling from your brain, through your face, and out through your eyes and mouth?

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Graham on May 15, 2019, 10:10:11 PM
Crystals are traveling from your brain, through your face, and out through your eyes and mouth?

I know it sounds crazy, but if the oxalate awareness people are right, then that's what's happening.  Sally K Norton describes this in one of her videos, not necessarily the one I posted earlier though. 

It's called 'oxalate dumping'.

http://oxvox.com/oxalate-dumping-symptoms-what-to-expect/
http://lowoxalatefoods.com/blog/oxalate-muscle-pain/

Basically, I was eating a ton of high oxalate foods and less and less animal protein, and I developed a range of symtoms which brought me to the edge of collapse, although no medical cause could be found for them.  Since the symptoms were uncannily similar to those experienced by others who overate such foods, and since the effects of cutting out those foods has followed the trajectory described by the oxalate campaigners, I can only assume that I am now 'dumping' the oxalate crystals which had accumulated throughout my system.  Of course, that's in the absence of the testing equipment necessary to know for sure.

Calcium oxalate crystals are known to accumulate in the brain, in the thyroid gland, in heart muscle, in the breast, around the joints, in the kidneys.  Regular, daily, intake of high oxalate foods means that the body cannot keep up with the elimination process and so stores the calcium oxalate instead.  When I stopped eating all the 'healthy' foods that are loaded with oxalic acid and oxalates, my system started eliminating the build up, hence the symptoms described. 

And the result of my oxalate detox so far - a substantial reduction in all symptoms, by 80 per cent, and in particular the brain fog is lifting, my eyes feel clear and free of floaters and clouding, the glands under in my neck which were swollen for a year no longer are, etc etc. 

The Standard American Diet, which should probably be renamed the Standard Western Diet, is overloaded with plant foods.   

http://allergiesandyourgut.com/2014/07/13/standard-american-diet-sad/

awkwardcustomer

According to U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates, 32 percent of our calories comes from animal foods, 57 percent from processed plant foods, and only 11 percent from whole grains, beans, fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/standard-american-diet/

It seems that Americans, and probably most Westerners, are already getting 68% of their calories from plant foods, and only 32% of their calories from animal foods.  Yet we are all being persuaded to eat fewer animal foods.

Perhaps too many plant foods is the problem.