Funny German Words

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, January 24, 2019, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

My German word of the day today was  "der Spitzbart."

That is a beard like this:
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Machaut1377

Heinrich

Quote from: Machaut1377 on May 08, 2020, 03:20:29 PM
der Scheibenkleister.

Does that mean wall paper paster? I had never heard of this compound.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Heinrich on May 08, 2020, 03:45:57 PM
der Scheibenkleister.

It is a minced oath used to replace the vulgar word that begins with the same five letters.

Machaut1377

der Scheibenkleister.

Here is the context in which I found the word

Da stolperte er über seinen Hund und stieß den Sarg von der Tafel herunter! Schneewittchen rollte aus dem Sarg heraus und auf das Gras.
,,Oh nein! Oh verflixt! So ein Scheibenkleister!", rief der Prinz. From a retelling of the Snow White fairy-tale from the FableCottage https://www.thefablecottage.com/german/schneewittchen

The dual-language dictionary site Dict.leo.org says it a dated euphemesism for scheiße. 

Duden.de gives its meaning as being the second meaning of scheiße, which they give as  etwas sehr Schlechtes, Unerfreuliches, Ärgerliches.
Link to the Duden.de entry https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Scheibenkleister

It seems to be a polite kid-friendly way of saying oh shit.

Machaut1377

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 08, 2020, 04:14:43 PM
der Scheibenkleister.

It is a minced oath used to replace the vulgar word that begins with the same five letters.

Pretty much this.

drummerboy

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on March 18, 2020, 04:00:22 PM
Zuckerkrank  - diabetic, literally sugar-sick

The terms der Diabetiker and diabetisch  also exist, but the native Germanic compounds are always more fun than the Latinate equivalents.

There is a specific term for these actually, it is kenning
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Greg

untermenschen - That word is hilarious.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Quote from: drummerboy on September 29, 2020, 12:12:52 AM

The terms der Diabetiker and diabetisch  also exist, but the native Germanic compounds are always more fun than the Latinate equivalents.

I am going to have to dust of the history of the German language notes. I have never heard of this German word and that many at all with the -ing suffix. "Ken" is an old Germanic(English) word(verb) that means to be familiar with. Of which comes the familiar German verb "kennen." But "Kenning"? Never heard of it. To this topic, I believe in an old epic the word Durstleidender is also metaphoric for diabetic. "Thirst sufferer."
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Heinrich on September 29, 2020, 09:54:38 AM

I am going to have to dust of the history of the German language notes. I have never heard of this German word and that many at all with the -ing suffix. "Ken" is an old Germanic(English) word(verb) that means to be familiar with. Of which comes the familiar German verb "kennen." But "Kenning"? Never heard of it. To this topic, I believe in an old epic the word Durstleidender is also metaphoric for diabetic. "Thirst sufferer."

I've never heard the term kenning used in this way. To my knowledge, a kenning is a poetic device associated with Old Norse and Old English poetry. It's a compound word coined by the poet and used metaphorically. What I was referring to is the fact that in German there are often native German compound words that are in common use alongside Latinate equivalents.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenning#Modern_usage

Heinrich

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 29, 2020, 10:55:43 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on September 29, 2020, 09:54:38 AM

I've never heard the term kenning used in this way. To my knowledge, a kenning is a poetic device associated with Old Norse and Old English poetry. It's a compound word coined by the poet and used metaphorically. What I was referring to is the fact that in German there are often native German compound words that are in common use alongside Latinate equivalents.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenning#Modern_usage

Now that I read a little more closely I see that. Yes. Kenning. Duh, H.

Lucas and Spielberg's writers used one here(first seven seconds):

[yt][/yt]

Fleur-de-Lys

The Wikipedia article gives a nice example of a kenning in Modern German: Stubentiger - "parlour-tiger"  for cat:D

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 29, 2020, 05:09:04 PMThe Wikipedia article gives a nice example of a kenning in Modern German: Stubentiger - "parlour-tiger" for cat:D

That has to be one of the best descriptions I've seen for cats so far.

German has some redemptive traits here and there.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The Theosist

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on March 18, 2020, 04:18:25 PM
Krankenwagen   - ambulance, literally, sick-wagon

Krankenschwester   - nurse, literally, sick-sister

In case anyone misunderstand, it's the genitive, as in of the sick.