Funny German Words

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, January 24, 2019, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleur-de-Lys

There are so many! Here are some of my favorites:

I especially like the ones with  -wagen: Krankenwagen, Einkaufswagen, Lastwagen...

Stinktier

Eisbär

Bustenhalter

Krankenschwester

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

aquinas138

What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Fleur-de-Lys

Zuckerkrank  - diabetic, literally sugar-sick

The terms der Diabetiker and diabetisch  also exist, but the native Germanic compounds are always more fun than the Latinate equivalents.

Vetus Ordo

Kopfkino (head cinema)

The word Kopfkino refers to mentally playing out an entire scene in your mind, as if in a movie theater.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on January 24, 2019, 10:34:23 PM
There are so many! Here are some of my favorites:

I especially like the ones with  -wagen: Krankenwagen, Einkaufswagen, Lastwagen...

Stinktier

Eisbär

Bustenhalter

Krankenschwester

I should have provided translations for these:

-wagen: -wagon

Krankenwagen   - ambulance, literally, sick-wagon

Einkaufswagen   - shopping cart

Lastwagen  - truck (but it looks and sounds like lust-wagon )

Stinktier  - skunk, literally, stink-beast

Eisbär  - polar bear, literally, ice-bear

Büstenhalter  - bra, literally, bust-holder

Krankenschwester   - nurse, literally, sick-sister

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on March 18, 2020, 04:18:25 PM

Apparently the word Lustwagen  also exists and aptly means pleasure car.   :D

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on March 18, 2020, 04:24:43 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on March 18, 2020, 04:18:25 PM

Apparently the word Lustwagen  also exists and aptly means pleasure car.   :D

This is the best picture I could find of a Lustwagen:

Vetus Ordo

Erklärungsnot (explanation poverty)

Erklärungsnot describes the state you might find yourself in when no excuse will get you out of the trouble you're in. No sufficient explanation for failing to do the grocery shopping you told your wife you'd do for her? That's Erklärungsnot.

Heinrich

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 20, 2020, 12:15:39 PM
Erklärungsnot (explanation poverty)

Erklärungsnot describes the state you might find yourself in when no excuse will get you out of the trouble you're in. No sufficient explanation for failing to do the grocery shopping you told your wife you'd do for her? That's Erklärungsnot.

die Erklärungsnot
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

Kummerspeck = grief bacon. To gain weight from stress eating.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on April 07, 2020, 07:22:31 PM
Kummerspeck = grief bacon. To gain weight from stress eating.

DER Kummerspeck.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jayne

A while ago, I signed up for a German word of the day email service.  Today's word is

Verstopfung haben: to be constipated

(I have barely learned any German yet, but it is already enough that I appreciate how Heinrich supplies the article when people omit it.  I have been making flashcards of the words I receive and always include the articles.)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

In that veign:

durch = through(preposition + accusative)
fallen = to fall(intransitive verb)

der Durchfall = diarrhoea

aquinas138

Quote from: Heinrich on April 08, 2020, 12:50:17 PM
In that veign:

durch = through(preposition + accusative)
fallen = to fall(intransitive verb)

der Durchfall = diarrhoea

Which is fairly etymological; "diarrhoea" is comprised of the Greek words for "through" and "flow."
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.