St Patrick Catholic Church, Seattle. Liturgy, not for the faint of heart

Started by Parresia, December 06, 2014, 09:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

I went to an English NO today (don't ask)....I forgot how terrible they were. All I could think of was how uninspiring it is.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Parresia

Quote from: Pheo on December 07, 2014, 07:27:41 AM
Funny enough, it was the terrible music at the NO that made me think there had to be something better out there.

Same here.  It was that, combined with a few other things, which really got me looking at Catholicism with a more critical eye. 

Miriam_M

Weird.  Yesterday I was able to watch it, although I chose to mute it.  Today I can't get it going on either of my computers.  It says "This video is private."

(Yeah, I'd be embarrassed, too.)

Parresia

Quote from: Miriam_M on December 07, 2014, 10:25:03 AM
Weird.  Yesterday I was able to watch it, although I chose to mute it.  Today I can't get it going on either of my computers.  It says "This video is private."

They started off by deleting comments that people were making. I guess the next step is blocking views from people who don't agree with you so that the word doesn't get out about your liturgical abuses to the point that the Bishop has no choice but to step in. 

Miriam_M

On the parish homepage they brag about their "tradition" [cough] of "liturgical dancing" and invite readers to look at that on youtube, which they link.  So even though the OP video is not available on that linked page, there are a couple of dozen other videos of similar liturgical abuses, including one unbelievable one on Thanksgiving Day, titled "Lean on Me," and danced (you guessed it) to the Bill Withers' song.  I( mean, that's not even 2014-style liturgical abuse.  That's flat out 1970's-recent-V2 liturgical abuse.  If I lived anywhere near Seattle I would so report this parish to the Bishop and ask him directly why he is doing nothing about it, if he does know.

That ^ + the OP's video + all the rest of their stuff on youtube is just profane and scandalous, period.

If you have other choices than a parish like this, say your prayers of thanksgiving today, and not to "Lean On Me."   ::)

Parresia

They have one from Easter which looks like Lion King on Broadway, or something similar. 

SamVanHouten

Quote from: Parresia on December 07, 2014, 11:29:04 AM

They started off by deleting comments that people were making. I guess the next step is blocking views from people who don't agree with you so that the word doesn't get out about your liturgical abuses to the point that the Bishop has no choice but to step in.

I looked on the parish's Facebook page and the people like the liturgical abuse. They think it's NORMAL. The bishop doesn't just need to step in, he needs to close the bloody parish down.

Parresia

Quote from: SamVanHouten on December 08, 2014, 09:29:13 AM
Quote from: Parresia on December 07, 2014, 11:29:04 AM

I looked on the parish's Facebook page and the people like the liturgical abuse. They think it's NORMAL. The bishop doesn't just need to step in, he needs to close the bloody parish down.

Did you look at the congregation?  It will be closed down regardless before too long.  I didn't notice anyone in there under 60, and not a single kid that I could see. 

Relicario

Relicario

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Miriam_M

Quote from: Relicario on December 08, 2014, 11:58:45 AM
Glass chalices... What is this 1977?
http://www.stpatrickseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/first_communion.jpg

Until a few months ago, a N.O. parish near us had been using glass probably since (yes) V2.  Only because the diocese got a new bishop as well as a desperately needed change of clerical staff (the latter in love with V2) did the parish finally start using gold chalices.  Incidentally the previous staff also was very much into 2 liturgical abuses:  dancing and lay preaching.  Separately, the staff discussed their sexual orientation (!) from the pulpit. For all these reasons the new bishop booted the pastor and his associate to different parts of the country.  Despite still being, of course, N.O. as far as liturgies go, the parish is much more orthodox in its practices and messages than before.

This all underscores what I'm sure everyone here sees:  the bishop can make all the difference.

Miriam_M

There's something just repulsively pagan about the extended-arm bow just posted today, above.  Even if dancing were liturgical (isn't), there is nothing Catholic or even Christian about the above, including in the early Church.  Nothing in the practices of First Century Judaism ---> first-century Christianity included any such postures.  And the style of dancing --such as the processional stuff and the circling stuff around the altar-- also rather imitates ancient pagan dancing.

I'm too weak-hearted and weak-stomached to read the aforementioned Facebook page.  But the fact that there's such support for it underlines the widespread ignorance among modern Catholics.