Insightful sermon on "Divine Mercy Sunday" and surviving difficult times

Started by TradGranny, April 14, 2024, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TradGranny

To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Miriam_M

Two points:
1.  Yes, he made some important points at the beginning about the modern DM devotion.  Although previously on the forum I said that I don't have a strong objection to it for those who seem to find it inspiring, I cannot disagree with the priest about how this devotion is treated -- with a kind of general universality instead of particularity.  All I can say is that apparently not all Catholics understand or interpret it in that loose manner. Some --especially those with very grave past sins and who struggle with despair -- are apparently comforted by just "dwelling" in God's mercy, and somehow, a special feast for that keeps them hopeful and faithful.  I do recognize that it is not an ideal context for understanding mercy as we should.  I also found the fact that at one point Faustina's writings had been placed on the Index enlightening.

2.  I continue to adjust poorly to today's near-WW3 realities, despite priests telling me I should be "grateful" for this "opportunity for sanctification."  That includes this priest.
 :lol:

TradGranny

Quote from: Miriam_M on April 17, 2024, 02:04:07 AMI continue to adjust poorly to today's near-WW3 realities, despite priests telling me I should be "grateful" for this "opportunity for sanctification."  That includes this priest.
 :lol:

I agree Miriam; I too am adjusting poorly. I don't like the emerging wars between Russia and Ukaraine, between Israel and the Moslems, between Tawain and Communist China. Nor do I like the fact that O'Biden is allowing cells of trained military over what used to be our border.

My concern is for our children and their families. I'm working on detachment from wordly concerns. As Padre Pio said "Pray, hope and don't worry."
Saint Teresa of Avila

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Miriam_M

james03

Sweet Meteor of Death.  I discovered it when I was looking for some funny pictures of The Great Comet of Chastisement(TM).

Seems like one of those crazes people have fun with like the Zombie Apocalypse, which was popular a few years ago.  Adherents predict a hidden meteor is going to strike the Earth.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

TradGranny

Today Father Starbuck continues his discussion of the troubled history of "Divine Mercy Sunday."

Saint Teresa of Avila