Obligation to Attend Mass (Banned from Home Parish)

Started by NightGuardianAngel, June 01, 2022, 12:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightGuardianAngel

I was wondering, if somebody was trespassed and banned from their home Catholic parish for life which includes a trespass warning by police. does that mean that the banned person is dispensed of the obligation to attend mass on Sundays and Holy Day of Obligation since by attending mass, they would be arrested for criminal trespass?  I was wondering because this happened to a woman in Dallas, Texas at Holy Trinity Catholic Church just only because she was not wearing a mask.  This happened back in 2021, but according to Texas Penal Code 30.05, a person can be banned for life since a church is private property according to Texas state law.

Here is the source

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/deirde-hariston-holy-trinity-catholic-church-mask/

OzarkCatholic

Quote from: NightGuardianAngel on June 01, 2022, 12:35:31 PM
I was wondering, if somebody was trespassed and banned from their home Catholic parish for life which includes a trespass warning by police. does that mean that the banned person is dispensed of the obligation to attend mass on Sundays and Holy Day of Obligation since by attending mass, they would be arrested for criminal trespass?  I was wondering because this happened to a woman in Dallas, Texas at Holy Trinity Catholic Church just only because she was not wearing a mask.  This happened back in 2021, but according to Texas Penal Code 30.05, a person can be banned for life since a church is private property according to Texas state law.

Here is the source

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/deirde-hariston-holy-trinity-catholic-church-mask/

There are more than one locations in Dallas to assist at Holy Mass.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Reader

Quote from: NightGuardianAngel on June 01, 2022, 12:35:31 PM

Here is the source

What Catholic church would ban someone for life over something that stupid? If I were any of the other parishioners, I'm pretty sure I'd change churches.

Justin Martyr

One is not obligated to attend mass if it is morally or physically impossible.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Elizabeth

I would say this is a scandal, the priest is unfit for ministry, and there are probably all kinds of bad things going on in that parish.  It is really hard to go against zealous insanity and public censure, but may God bless this lady from Texas.  She still needs the Sacraments no matter what, and prayers.  Especially if children and family are involved - and her husband's protection if she is married.

Miriam_M

matt

At one point in time one was bound to fulfill their Sunday obligation at their parish church; assisting at Mass at any church would not suffice. This is no longer the case (as with confession).

No matter what one thinks of masks, wearing one isn't contrary to the Faith. Moreover, such recklessness risks having the authorities close the church to all parishioners; it is quite a selfish act just to make some political statement. Getting banned from the church over something so trivial is itself sinful.

QuaeriteDominum

I would call it divine mercy to be banned from a church which places the religion of the mask over the salvation of the soul.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: matt on June 03, 2022, 03:34:44 PM
At one point in time one was bound to fulfill their Sunday obligation at their parish church; assisting at Mass at any church would not suffice. This is no longer the case (as with confession).

Even in those days, there were exceptions for travel, etc. Being banned from church property would likely generate such an exception, even under the older canon law.

Quote from: matt on June 03, 2022, 03:34:44 PM
No matter what one thinks of masks, wearing one isn't contrary to the Faith. Moreover, such recklessness risks having the authorities close the church to all parishioners; it is quite a selfish act just to make some political statement. Getting banned from the church over something so trivial is itself sinful.

It's not contrary to the faith, but it also isn't medically possible or advisable for everyone. We have a few in our family (myself included) who can't wear a mask or who have to modify them. Luckily, the mandates are over (for now) in our area, but it was very difficult for a while.

In this woman's case, she claims her parish didn't require it but only recommended it, and then she was kicked out at the end of Mass. Not sure what the true story is here, or what.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

dymphna17

As a Traditionalist, it's not always possible to get to Mass every Sunday. My elderly Uncle live 2 hours away from a Tradirional Mass and cannot attend most of the time. Once per year he drives down to go to confession and attend Mass, otherwise he just reads the Mass from his missal. This person that was "banned" from Mass (how does this even happen? Unlesss they are a Traditionalist that is) could possibly do that. Also, I don't know if they are still doing this, but we used to attend Mass in hotels and people's basements. They could call around to see if there are any of those close by. Just an idea.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica