Kit Kat...... What's going on?!

Started by angelcookie, December 18, 2014, 07:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

I tried my first Kit-Kat from the UK vs US.... What a difference! The UK kit Kat is the best and I now I am a kit Kat snob. Santa may just bring some for the kids this year :)

If you have a chance try the UK Kit Kat, bet you'll love it.

The Curt Jester

I used to like Kit Kats a long time ago, but recently I tried some and I was appalled at how SWEET they are.   Sickeningly so.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Greg

Generally speaking US candy bars are terrible.

Here is an article that describes the differences.

http://www.quora.com/Why-do-British-and-American-chocolate-taste-different

Britain is a pretty mild climate.  A hot summers day is only 80.  It rarely hits 90' and 100' is a once in 20 year event for any particular location.

Obviously, you get used to any taste but I bought a load of candy bars in the US for my children on a recent trip just so they could have fun with the differences and they threw most away.

The worst thing of all are the chewy sweets.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: angelcookie on December 18, 2014, 07:53:33 PM
I tried my first Kit-Kat from the UK vs US.... What a difference! The UK kit Kat is the best and I now I am a kit Kat snob. Santa may just bring some for the kids this year :)

If you have a chance try the UK Kit Kat, bet you'll love it.

As a non citizen living in the US, I have to tell you guys your chocolate sucks really really bad. Only imported stuff allowed in our house.

Everything Hersey's makes tastes like soured milk was used.  Things are not great overseas either however. Snickers bars used to taste awesome, but manufacturers have been tinkering with recipes for years now. All to save a dollar, and all to the detriment of quality and taste.

[Edit]

I just looked on the interweb, there are entire forum threads dedicated to why chocolate bars taste so crappy these days.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

QuoteSince we wrote about Hershey's reformulating some of their products into "mockolate" that can't legally be called "milk chocolate," the story has been getting some play in the media, prompting Hershey to respond to the controversy. So, why did they reformulate their candy? Because you like fake chocolate better!

http://consumerist.com/2008/09/24/hershey-responds-consumers-love-our-new-fake-chocolate/
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Deirdre

I've always hated Hershey's chocolate.  :ack:
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

i never ate chocolate for the longest time but i went to israel once and the chocolates were different and i liked them better used to find them in certain stores around here
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Daniel

Kit Kat isn't my favorite candy, but I don't have any problem with Hershey's chocolate.  I think it generally tastes better than Nestlé's, so I'm guessing I'd probably like the American Kit Kat (Hershey's) more than the British one (Nestlé's).  Besides that, I'm now trying to avoid Nestlé after finding out that some of their products include ingredients that were developed by Senomyx using cells from aborted children (http://www.cogforlife.org/fetalproductsall.pdf).  Their chocolate (and other candy) is not on that list, so it's probably safe though.

Johnny Midnight

i might try some non-american chocolate if someone gave it to me, but i usually only eat candy if its free anyways.  i am fond of skittles but still not enough to pay for them.  the taste difference between mass produced processed food is going to be negligible i suspect. 

except pringles.  im sure british pringles are far superior to their american counterpart.  ya.   
"We are all the walking wounded in a world that is a war zone.  Everything we love will be taken from us, everything, last of all life itself."

JubilateDeo

We have a few Irish stores that sell kitschy Irish themed gifts and things.  They usually sell some Catholic stuff as well--rosaries, Communion dresses, baptismal gowns and candles--and imported candy from Ireland and the UK.  I sometimes stop there and get my candy fix.  We're lucky to have a lot of multi-ethnic groceries that have imported stuff.  I like the Milka bars with hazelnuts, and the Ritter bars with the cornflakes.  The best candy bar of them all, is the Toblerone.  Every year Santa brings me one in my stocking. 

I studied in Glasgow for a semester and took SO much candy home with me :) 

verenaerin

Violet Crumble bars re my all time favorite

Armor of Light

Nestles is way too sweet, but I have never understood the proclivity of Europeans to dis our chocolate and desserts. It's not supposed to be the same all over the world! Just because it's European does not mean it's better, so don't be snobby about it!

Euro Kit-Kats are also delicious. My favorite is Ritter Sport Marzipan from Germany..Mmmmmmm

The big companies have substituted PGPR for Cocoa Butter as an ingredient, and the difference in flavor is noticeable. I don't like it.
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Johnny Midnight

europeans cant help being snobby. its what they do. lol  :)
"We are all the walking wounded in a world that is a war zone.  Everything we love will be taken from us, everything, last of all life itself."

Mattock

The Japanese absolutely love kitkats. They're a much bigger deal over there than in the US. Such a random thing.

Yeah, American chocolate bars are crap.
For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire.

Akavit

The USA has good chocolate but the manufactured stuff isn't it.  Around the country, small candy shops dot the landscape and they will make and sell the good stuff.  Hershey's and Nestle sell cheap products at low prices to people who want a cheap fix for the sweet tooth.