Is Joseph a moderator?

Started by Padraig, March 21, 2022, 09:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Justin Martyr on March 28, 2022, 02:16:28 PM
You don't interact with protestants much, do you?

These days, no. But interacting with ideologies is different from interacting with insanity.

I have experience with both and this is very much one more than the other.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Baylee on March 28, 2022, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 28, 2022, 01:03:48 PM
PM replied to, but the Forum Staff are listed in the Rules, as Joseph quoted.

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 08, 2013, 12:03:04 PM
The Forum Staff:
1) The moderators must be respected. When moderating they will use an italicized dark green font. For example: Please remain calm and charitable during all debates. Arguing with their decisions will not be tolerated. 
2) If you have a concern with a moderator decision, private message a member of the staff to address your concern.
3) The Moderator of Suscipe Domine forum is also the Administrator, Kaesekopf.

So, I take the bolded to mean there is only one moderator? You?

Are there other ways of taking it?  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Padraig

The inconsistency between plural and singular in the Forum Rules is a source of confusion, at the very least.

Unless you forgot to include your pronouns :lol:

Baylee

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 28, 2022, 03:02:13 PM
Quote from: Baylee on March 28, 2022, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 28, 2022, 01:03:48 PM
PM replied to, but the Forum Staff are listed in the Rules, as Joseph quoted.

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 08, 2013, 12:03:04 PM
The Forum Staff:
1) The moderators must be respected. When moderating they will use an italicized dark green font. For example: Please remain calm and charitable during all debates. Arguing with their decisions will not be tolerated. 
2) If you have a concern with a moderator decision, private message a member of the staff to address your concern.
3) The Moderator of Suscipe Domine forum is also the Administrator, Kaesekopf.

So, I take the bolded to mean there is only one moderator? You?

Are there other ways of taking it?  :lol:

Well, "forum staff listed" implies a ... list...as in more than one person.  Also, it might be clearer  if there was a title of "moderator" below those members' names who are actually mods.

Heinrich

Quote from: TerrorDæmonum on March 28, 2022, 02:12:31 PM
I have never seen such a simple and clearly expressed thing belaboured so much.

The reference to this forum as a type of asylum is perhaps more appropriate than I thought.

That's insulting to pious and fine folk who post frequently here. Of course, you'll be your inveterately insufferable and pedantic self in your reply. Can't wait.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Padraig on March 28, 2022, 03:20:25 PM
The inconsistency between plural and singular in the Forum Rules is a source of confusion, at the very least.

Unless you forgot to include your pronouns :lol:

:lol:

That's fair. 

I only recently updated it, and haven't gone through the rest of it for coherency.  Whoops!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

It is difficult to believe that anybody was truly confused unless they chose to be.

This thread was started after I referenced your rules and clarifications in a discussion, that still remains.

A forum is only defined by its stated policies to a degree: it is primarily defined by its activities. If one were to rewrite the forum rules and policies to describe the forum as it actually is in practice, they would be very different. The forum rules and policies should be prescriptive: moderator activity should bring forum activity in line with the stated description.

This forum is prescribed one way as a primarily traditional Catholic forum, but it is described another way. Moderator activity is what dictates this. Users can only be blamed for their individual posts. Moderators may not be so responsible for each post so quickly, but they are ultimately responsible for all of them and the more they allow or disallow posts, the more they are responsible.

If people rely on moderator activity to know the boundaries, then they will act accordingly and use the "are you a moderator?" cliche when someone protests such things on the forum. It is very selectively done.