Members You Wish Would Come Back

Started by Bonaventure, August 15, 2023, 11:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

Quote from: dellery on October 21, 2023, 10:13:27 PMI miss Pon De Replay or whatever his name was. He wasn't some 4chan bot like so many of the pussies on here today are, and his posts were always thought provoking.
He wasn't Catholic, but played the role of Devil's Advocate in a way that made you a better one.
He is still here but he changed his user name when he returned to the faith; I think its Decem Rationes.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Kent

Quote from: Michael Wilson on October 22, 2023, 08:38:50 AM
Quote from: dellery on October 21, 2023, 10:13:27 PMI miss Pon De Replay or whatever his name was. He wasn't some 4chan bot like so many of the pussies on here today are, and his posts were always thought provoking.
He wasn't Catholic, but played the role of Devil's Advocate in a way that made you a better one.
He is still here but he changed his user name when he returned to the faith; I think its Decem Rationes.

Isn't he Mono No Aware?

When did he revert? Was that disclaimed on the forum?
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

Michael Wilson

Kent,
you are right it is Mono!
I think it was this year,
I will look up his old posts.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mono no aware

Je suis le user formerly known as Pon de Replay.  Thank you, dellery, for not associating me with 4chan.  I do hate that stuff.  I actually consider Wojack memes as evidence for the demonic, but strangely a lot of traditional Catholics are fine with it.  Anyway, I am still here.  "Pon de Replay" was the dumbest user name on the forum, but I chose it and I was willing to stick with it.  Fortunately, though, when the forum software changed over to this inferior format, there was one benefit: it gave us the option to change our display names, and I took full advantage of it.  I have no intention of changing it back.

Michael, I'm sorry to report that I haven't reverted to the faith.  I think the confusion on this stems from the fact that I do attend Mass on Sundays and even on most weekdays, but this is owing to a family obligation rather than a religious one.  And it is (aggravatingly) a Novus Ordo Mass.

dellery

Glad you're still here. Gonna have to catch up on your posts.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on October 22, 2023, 07:43:18 PMGlad you're still here. Gonna have to catch up on your posts.

There won't be much to catch up on; I only post sporadically anymore.  I think the forum atmosphere has changed a good deal, and your mention of 4chan more or less sums it up.  In the spirit of the thread, there are former posters whose contributions I miss, but I can't imagine any of them returning, given the current "bro" tenor: users such as Daniel (if his ban were to be lifted), Chestertonian, PatrickG, and Miles Contra Mundi.  In my view, the two most combative would probably be the most welcome: erin is nice and Quaremerepulisti.  But the poster I'd most like to see come back would be the finest poster who ever registered, AustrianOrthodoxCatholic.

dellery

To me it doesn't seem like a "bro" tenor, but more so a bleak, masochistic, incel tenor mixed with elements of Waspy, American, reactionism. All of which is now supposedly part of the online Trad magisterium and all who fall outside of this spectrum are deemed to be heretics.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Heinrich

I wish the moderators would come back.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

M.N.A.
You are going in the right direction. I will continue to pray.  :pray2:

Bonaventure

Quote from: drummerboy on October 06, 2023, 12:59:53 PMOn this topic, Bonaventure himself has been very quiet as of late.  Family obligations perhaps

Petite, et dabitur vobis
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

Quote from: Maximilian on October 06, 2023, 11:42:31 AMErin is Nice

The forum has been boring without her.

To be fair to her, she didn't leave, but rather kept getting banned, which I thought was unjust.

In the words of Randy Jackson, it's a no for me dog.

I'll never forget her taking the time to post to me, maybe the miscarriage was a good thing.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."