Meum ac vestrum sacrificium

Started by Laurentius Ioannes Vong, June 17, 2020, 02:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurentius Ioannes Vong

The Orate fratres mentions of "the sacrifice of mine and yours" (meum ac vestrum sacrificium). What does this actually mean? I understand the "sacrifice" as the sacrifice of the Mass, but why is it "of mine and yours"? Isn't it the priest alone sacrificing the Mass in persona Christi? We participate in the sacrifice, but we do not offer it. Or does it mean that it is ours, because Jesus (and the priest) offers it on behalf of us and for us?

I've been pondering what this means, since I find the vernacular translation by the Diocese used in the local Novus Ordo missal to be heretical. It translates "meum ac vestrum sacrificium" as "???????????" in Chinese, which means "the holy sacrifice offered together by me and you" in English. It's as if saying that the lay people present at the Mass are concelebrants. I should first understand the meaning implied by the Latin accurately, before judging the translation and probably reaching out to the higher levels of the hierachy if needed.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Laurentius Ioannes Vong on June 17, 2020, 02:16:04 AM
The Orate fratres mentions of "the sacrifice of mine and yours" (meum ac vestrum sacrificium). What does this actually mean? I understand the "sacrifice" as the sacrifice of the Mass, but why is it "of mine and yours"? Isn't it the priest alone sacrificing the Mass in persona Christi? We participate in the sacrifice, but we do not offer it. Or does it mean that it is ours, because Jesus (and the priest) offers it on behalf of us and for us?

There are two sacrifices joined together in the mass: the one offered by the priest alone in the person of Christ and the one offered by the assembly and the angels. Our sacrifice is one of praise and thanksgiving which is also an essential part of the Catholic liturgy. Hence, meum ac vestrum sacrificium.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The Harlequin King

Incidentally, Peter Kwasniewski published a piece on this very subject today: "We, Too, Are the Sacrifice We Offer". https://onepeterfive.com/we-sacrifice/

John Lamb

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXqjqigHKc[/yt]

A Catholic nun who was brought up Jewish and became Protestant, then eventually Catholic.

The section in the video relevant to the thread starts around 11 mins.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Jayne

Quote from: John Lamb on June 18, 2020, 08:31:55 AM
A Catholic nun who was brought up Jewish and became Protestant, then eventually Catholic.

The section in the video relevant to the thread starts around 11 mins.

I didn't notice anything wrong with what she was saying in relation to the thread, but she has some problematic ideas regarding "Jewish Catholics". She is associated the Hebrew Catholic Association which arguably promotes judaizing, so I recommend caution about anything she says.

I don't want to derail this thread, so if anyone wants to discuss my concerns around this, please start a new thread.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.