Gospel of Matthew and the Talmud

Started by drummerboy, March 23, 2024, 09:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So, I've been thinking (disclaimer: you've been warned): the Gospel of Matthew is the only Gospel that gives a detailed history of the conception of Jesus.  Namely, His Divine Conception, but most importantly Joseph's response to finding Mary suddenly pregnant, and his own righteousness in the situation he found himself in.  Given that Matthew addressed his Gospel to the Jews, is it possible he gave this detailed narrative partly in reaction to the slur Jews were spreading that Jesus' conception was the result of Mary being raped by Roman soldiers? Was this rumor being spread at the time?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

clau clau

I liked Brother Nathaniel's take on it. He describes in this passage his first reading of the New Testament, starting with the Gospel according to Matthew (Levi).

see: 29:08 in the video below (but the whole talk is marvelous - unfortunately the sound is a bit distorted).
... and the guy is seriously funny.  He has missionary zeal!

Outspoken Russian Orthodox monk, Brother Nathanael Kapner was raised Jewish but accepted Christ later in life as well as his mother and father.  PTL!  Eye opening talk, frank and uncensored Kapner tells what he has found to be the reason for the moral decline of America and the world.  Recorded in Okamos, Michigan April 6, 2013.

He did a podcast with E Michael Jones recently. I loved that too.

EMJ Live 64: A Discussion with Brother Nathanael

https://cozy.tv/emichaeljones/replays/2024-03-01

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

drummerboy

I had no clue Brother Nathaniel was Jewish by birth

diaduit

TradGranny

Quote from: diaduit on March 25, 2024, 02:56:37 AMWhat Jews reject the Talmud?

There are some. They call themselves Biblical Jews or Old Testament Jews.
Some Jews convert to Catholocism.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

aquinas138

Quote from: diaduit on March 25, 2024, 02:56:37 AMWhat Jews reject the Talmud?

Karaite Jews, for instance, do not believe the "Oral Torah", i.e., Talmud and Midrash, to be binding. According to them, only the Tanakh is supreme in halakha and in theology.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Gardener

Quote from: drummerboy on March 24, 2024, 08:01:55 PMI had no clue Brother Nathaniel was Jewish by birth

Dude looks like he'd risk running in traffic to grab a penny from the road. Lol
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

drummerboy

Quote from: Gardener on April 16, 2024, 02:09:23 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on March 24, 2024, 08:01:55 PMI had no clue Brother Nathaniel was Jewish by birth

TradGranny

Instead of judging a book by its cover, why not try listening to him? You may like what he has to say.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Gardener

Quote from: TradGranny on April 18, 2024, 04:40:03 PM

Instead of judging a book by its cover, why not try listening to him? You may like what he has to say.
You assume I haven't listened to him as well as researched him. The man is disavowed by Orthodox. His former synagogue said he's a certifiable nutcase, and his behavior in Colorado affirms that.

But anyway, as for what I replied to: he looks like he should have a part in Fiddler on the Roof. He straight up looks like posters in Germany describing the physiognomy of Jews.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

TradGranny

Quote from: Gardener on April 24, 2024, 10:23:33 AM

You assume I haven't listened to him as well as researched him. The man is disavowed by Orthodox. His former synagogue said he's a certifiable nutcase, and his behavior in Colorado affirms that.

But anyway, as for what I replied to: he looks like he should have a part in Fiddler on the Roof. He straight up looks like posters in Germany describing the physiognomy of Jews.

Sorry. I did not know that. What did he do in Colorado?
Saint Teresa of Avila

Gardener

Quote from: TradGranny on April 24, 2024, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: Gardener on April 24, 2024, 10:23:33 AM

Sorry. I did not know that. What did he do in Colorado?

He used to stand out on public streets dancing around, waving a crucifix, and making a general ass of himself.

The Orthos can't stand him and he's not recognized as a Monk by any main Ortho Church: https://old.reddit.com/r/OrthodoxChristianity/comments/1icltl/brother_nathanael/

I feel bad for the guy. If he truly believes in Christ that's great, but he needs help.