interesting purchase you made recently?

Started by diaduit, May 22, 2021, 03:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clau clau

Somebody gave me a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Machine but the pods for it are stupidly expensive.

I managed to find some refillable ones that you can just fill with ground coffee which work just as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225907557318
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Melkor

Quote from: Greg on February 20, 2024, 05:31:30 PMAnd the jowls.

Make a pantsuit for her.

I laughed too hard. Thanks for the chuckle G
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

So I sold my Sierra (lol thanks Holy Souls and SD 😁). Got forced to work a shortage in Alberta and since I was planning on driving out; I had to get a reliable means of transportation... The old Honda civic won't quit but I didn't want to chance taking it 1800 plus kms across the country. So I got myself a clean 2000 Lexus LX 470. For those that don't know, this thing is a fancy Toyota Landcruiser. Fully loaded, full time 4x4; center locking diff, solid rear axle, limited slip etc. It's an off-road machine wearing a suit essentially lol.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Mushroom

Quote from: Melkor on February 21, 2024, 12:27:36 PMSo I sold my Sierra (lol thanks Holy Souls and SD 😁). Got forced to work a shortage in Alberta and since I was planning on driving out; I had to get a reliable means of transportation... The old Honda civic won't quit but I didn't want to chance taking it 1800 plus kms across the country. So I got myself a clean 2000 Lexus LX 470. For those that don't know, this thing is a fancy Toyota Landcruiser. Fully loaded, full time 4x4; center locking diff, solid rear axle, limited slip etc. It's an off-road machine wearing a suit essentially lol.

We're planning on selling my husband's truck (Chevy 2016) in the future since there aren't back seats, and it's only two-wheel drive. We're currently looking for a 7-seater like a Yukon that's 4x4 and that can haul heavy loads. My FIL gifted us with his used Nissan Qashqai 2017 but it's not really useful out here. It's smaller but it is 4x4. Hopefully we can sell that in the future to some retiree or someone who lives in the city. Just hoping we can find some durable vehicles that can handle unplowed roads.

Greg

Quote from: clau clau on February 21, 2024, 11:06:26 AMSomebody gave me a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Machine but the pods for it are stupidly expensive.

I managed to find some refillable ones that you can just fill with ground coffee which work just as well.

I have a nespresso vertuo, where you can put one gutted pod inside another and use you own coffee.  But in my view nothing beats a drip coffee machin with a washable nylon filter. They make great hot coffee and are easy to clean and you can gpbrew 3 pints litres in one go
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Hannelore

Quote from: Greg on February 21, 2024, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: clau clau on February 21, 2024, 11:06:26 AMSomebody gave me a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Machine but the pods for it are stupidly expensive.

I have a nespresso vertuo, where you can put one gutted pod inside another and use you own coffee.  But in my view nothing beats a drop coffee machine
My sister has a Nespresso. Makes pretty bad coffee. Very weak. But I expect it was dying.
My Lord and my God.

Melkor

A sweet rig would a Yukon or Suburban etc with a 3.0 Duramax. Not sure of your budget but it would offer great performance and decent fuel economy. I was  considering getting a used Escalade or Yukon but they don't have a solid rear axle. (Which won't really matter for your situation cause it's more for serious off-road scenarios). A good option would be a used Toyota Sequoia or 4runner. Or a Landcruiser/Lexus LX but maintenance/finding parts is a bit harder on those (as I'm finding out lol)

2wheel drive trucks are hard to sell. Good luck.

Greg

There's an interesting scam here in Europe to get a good car cheap.

Modern diesel cars come with some bullshit bureaucratic emissions standard where they need to be fitted with a DpF diesel particulate filter.  Because this robs the power, the manufacturer gives it a larger turbo charged engine than normal then sticks an EGR and DPF on it.  Every 40,000 to 80,000 these clog up and need to be cleaned for about 300 dollars or replaced for 1600 dollars but what people do is take them off gut the inside so they look like an ordinary muffler boxk refit them and the have the ECU remapped.

You get a 20% to 25% boost in power and significantly better fuel economy.  The only difference being that the soot the engine produces is being expelled to the atmosphere as produced and not held captive and dumped during a fast freeway drive.  But you are using less fuel so overall there is less soot

At first you think you are doing something highly illegal but when you speak to the engine tuners  who are booked 2 weeks solid in advance, you realise that a huge number of people are doing the same thing.  If it is done properly they cannot see it has been done at the annual safety inspection.

Hard to see how you would ever be caught

Once stripped out it can never go wrong again so you have a more fuel efficient, more powerful and more reliable car
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Mushroom

Quote from: Melkor on February 21, 2024, 02:31:30 PMA sweet rig would a Yukon or Suburban etc with a 3.0 Duramax. Not sure of your budget but it would offer great performance and decent fuel economy. I was  considering getting a used Escalade or Yukon but they don't have a solid rear axle. (Which won't really matter for your situation cause it's more for serious off-road scenarios). A good option would be a used Toyota Sequoia or 4runner. Or a Landcruiser/Lexus LX but maintenance/finding parts is a bit harder on those (as I'm finding out lol)

2wheel drive trucks are hard to sell. Good luck.

Around $10K is the budget. We might have to look in Alberta or dealership maybe. Alot of the listings have rust or are unsaftied.  In the future, I was thinking of getting a shuttle bus since they're cheap and would make grocery hauls easy.

Melkor

Here in the free world Greg we just send out diesels to a shop to get deleted (EGR def and DPF). Not much sounds better than a straight piped deleted diesel.

But that's a pretty cool work around.

?

Melkor

For 10k you can easily get something saftied and clean if you look and are patient. Toyotas tend to fetch a larger premium so unless you find a great deal I'd probably try to find a decently clean GMC or something like that.

Greg

Which states have emissions standards where it is illegal to delete the DpF?

California for sure. Anywhere else?

Melkor

Quote from: Greg on February 21, 2024, 04:19:32 PMWhich states have emissions standards where it is illegal to delete the DpF?

California for sure. Anywhere else?

It's pretty much illegal everywhere (talking Canada). Of all the provinces only Ontario really tries to catch people for deleting as far as I know.

drummerboy

A stainless steel Saint Benedict medal and "dog tag" chain, so it won't tarnish and turn green on me!
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Hannelore

Quote from: drummerboy on February 26, 2024, 09:25:53 AMA stainless steel Saint Benedict medal and "dog tag" chain, so it won't tarnish and turn green on me!
So far I've stuck to silver for my religious jewelry (crucifix, Miraculous Medal, St. Teresa of Avila medal). I find them secondhand on ebay.
My Lord and my God.