Humility: Good or Bad?

Started by Probius, October 12, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Probius

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 25, 2014, 09:06:10 PM
Being insulted has everything to do with authority...mush head.,,,you feel insulted because you assume I should know better.

Don't get me wrong, I feel no insult.  This is because I put no stock into the opinions of others.  However, insults and name calling detract from the search for truth.  Instead of tackling ideas, you are more interested in hurling insults.

And no, I don't assume you should know better.  Louis IX knows better, he doesn't insult others, instead he follows the example of your God.  Didn't Jesus say to love your enemy?  Didn't he say to turn the other cheek?  How should a Christian treat an atheist?
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

Greg

Crimson.  If you are an idiot then how can it be a distraction from the truth to insult you by calling you what you are?

The truth cannot distract from a search for the truth.  That makes no sense.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Probius

Insults detract from the truth for at least two reasons.  One, they are a waste of time.  Two, they tend to push others away.  This doesn't push me away, but keep in mind that if you hurl insults at others, you will just push them away from The Church.

On a side note, do you care nothing about imitating your Lord?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

lauermar

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 26, 2014, 09:50:34 AM

Apparently neither do you.

:deadhorse:
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Jayne

It would be really great if Catholics behaved better than non-Catholics.  It makes sense that there we should have different standards.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Probius

Quote from: lauermar on April 26, 2014, 09:59:35 AM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 26, 2014, 09:50:34 AM

Apparently neither do you.

:deadhorse:

I have no lord.

Greg

Quote from: Jayne on April 26, 2014, 10:07:35 AM
It would be really great if Catholics behaved better than non-Catholics.  It makes sense that there we should have different standards.

So what do most polite liberal non-Catholics say today about transsexuals?

Practicing Catholics do behave better.  We don't sleep around before marriage, we don't have abortions and we don't take it up the bum.

Are you taking about being "nithe" or behaving better?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Probius

Quote from: Greg on April 26, 2014, 12:54:27 PM

Practicing Catholics do behave better.  We don't sleep around before marriage, we don't have abortions and we don't take it up the bum.

I can't speak for Jayne, but I am talking about treating people well.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 25, 2014, 09:22:35 PM

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 25, 2014, 09:06:10 PM
Being insulted has everything to do with authority...mush head.,,,you feel insulted because you assume I should know better.

Don't get me wrong, I feel no insult.  This is because I put no stock into the opinions of others.  However, insults and name calling detract from the search for truth.  Instead of tackling ideas, you are more interested in hurling insults.

And no, I don't assume you should know better.  Louis IX knows better, he doesn't insult others, instead he follows the example of your God.  Didn't Jesus say to love your enemy?  Didn't he say to turn the other cheek?  How should a Christian treat an atheist?
Oh please you whine about being insulted...accuse me of not following Christ and then say laughingly that you only wish to avoid distracting from the search for Truth! I would never lend you 10 bucks because you could find a rationel for not paying it back. You have to be the most self decived soul I have yet to encounter...and Ive met ALOT of people.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

m.PR

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 24, 2014, 08:15:41 PM
I recognize no authority.

You obviously recognize the authority of You. Which means what exactly? Your passions? Your reason?

Greg

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 26, 2014, 04:12:31 PM

I treat people as I find them.

And you are a fool.

Jayne

Yes.  I agree with your observations about insults.  The outstanding characteristic of Christians is supposed to be charity.  When we fail at that, we fail Christ.  I can't imagine Him excusing us with, "That's OK.  At least you were straight and didn't have an abortion."
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

ResRev

Quote from: Jayne on April 27, 2014, 07:07:27 AM

Yes.  I agree with your observations about insults.  The outstanding characteristic of Christians is supposed to be charity.  When we fail at that, we fail Christ.  I can't imagine Him excusing us with, "That's OK.  At least you were straight and didn't have an abortion."
I try to understand charity and what is just secular "nice" but not charity (in speech) and get very confused. What is charitable? (I feel like Pilate...anyway...) I read our Lord say,

Quote from: Matthew 23:27Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; because you are like to whited sepulchres, which outwardly appear to men beautiful, but within are full of dead men's bones, and of all filthiness.
If I said someone was "full of...filthiness" I would most likely be said to be uncharitable. I don't get it. Just thinking out loud here.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Probius

Would Jesus approve of hurling insults at others, or would he rather a Christian say that someone is wrong and do so in a polite manner?  Do you convince someone of truth by calling that person disgusting names?  Or do you just push them farther from The Church?

zork

Well Jesus did call the pharisees "vipers" and took an "aggressive" tone in rebuking them.

As far as punishing people further from the Church--Would that even matter when dealing with those who have no inclination to be open to conversion or reversion or repentance? The chaff who stubbornly refuse to come to God, be it due to pride or enmity towards God, will persist in not truly listening no matter how 'kind' they're being spoken to by their opponents.

(Crimson Flyboy, please note I am not referring to you as one of the 'chaff'. You seem earnest and respectful, and I pray you return to the Faith at some point. By chaff, I mean those nonbelievers who will ultimately be damned for persisting in their willful hostility towards God and arrogance.)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.