Any CompSci grads here?

Started by Basilios, November 13, 2013, 11:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veritas

You shouldn't waste your time on such imaginary things. Learn something practical and real.

Basilios

Quote from: Veritas on November 15, 2013, 10:01:52 AM
You shouldn't waste your time on such imaginary things. Learn something practical and real.

Computers are imaginary?

TIL that learning programming and computer science is imaginary.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Veritas

Quote from: Basilios on November 15, 2013, 10:11:50 AM

Computers are imaginary?

Computers are real, duh. I'm talking about maths and science. They don't exist, are made up, distract us from the faith.

Basilios

Quote from: Veritas on November 15, 2013, 10:13:13 AM
Quote from: Basilios on November 15, 2013, 10:11:50 AM

Computers are imaginary?

Computers are real, duh. I'm talking about maths and science. They don't exist, are made up, distract us from the faith.

You're a troll from the atheist forum. I am almost 100% certain of it.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Veritas

"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell"
- Saint Augustine

Veritas

You are the troll, by ignoring the advice of Saint Augustine.

Cesar_Augustus

Mathematicians is what astrologers and numerologists were called in Saint Agustine's time.

Veritas

Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on November 15, 2013, 10:21:40 AM
Mathematicians is what astrologers and numerologists were called in Saint Agustine's time.
There is still no difference. Statistics and astrology, it is all the same.

Aquila

Quote from: Veritas on November 15, 2013, 10:22:55 AM
Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on November 15, 2013, 10:21:40 AM
There is still no difference. Statistics and astrology, it is all the same.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

Aquila

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 14, 2013, 02:58:54 PM
Quote from: Aquila on November 14, 2013, 09:47:57 AM
EE major in progress here.

Awesome.

What's your specialty/concentration?

I've been putting that off, but I am leaning towards Communication Systems. Have to decide next semester....
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

Recovering NOer

Was that troll (under both his names) really from the atheist forum after all?  That wouldn't surprise me.

Heinrich

I have a friend who is a very successful Software engineer. Knows his stuff, makes good $(supports 13 people), has security clearances, and majored in English and Latin.  :o
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

I doubt there is any geometry required.  Also, find out the difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering.  I see no need to learn Calculus for Computer Science, though maybe it is a weed out course.  Logic is probably a requirement.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Gardener

Talk to the Security guys, Server and Network Admins, and the hiring managers of IT depts.

I have a buddy from near Nottingham that works in the industry here in the States. If you want, I can put you in contact with him to be in contact with those across the pond. However, if I set that up, DO NOT DARE forsake contact.

The secret is not so much what you have on the cert/degree side, but what you can do. The certs/degree get you the interview. The applicable knowledge is the key. As it stands, you have minimum 2 years based on stateside paths: 1 year certification path and 1 year help desk job. The help desk is eh... but it's experience. Beyond that, all on you. I know a hiring manager who turned down a guy with a Doctorate in CompSci but hired a dude who had zilch save experience. Dr. Stick up his bum had a chip, whereas Mr. Experience was a go-getter sans-'tude. He's just NOW getting a single cert (Comp forensics) and is at 60k dollars. No degree, no certs. Just chutzpah and a break.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

The Harlequin King

Gardener: yeah, that's a pretty common theme within the computer science industry.

You know how people on trad forums often somehow manage to acquire more knowledge of theology and other things Catholic than priests, all on their own free time? The same can be said for people who work in the computer industry. However, IT is kind of like low-church, American style Protestantism where anyone can be ordained provided you can quote crazy amounts of Bible verses from memory... or in compsci land, code.

Still, for my own part, I'd rather go to school because I'm not techy enough to learn what I need to know just from tutorials on the Internet. I'm guessing Basilios is the same, since I gather we have much the same kind of personality. Also, an advanced degree may still be in order if you want to go on to do things like, say, design new graphics cards for nVidia or something like that.