TLM construction workers

Started by diaduit, May 20, 2014, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaduit

We need an extension built onto our house which will be a new bigger kitchen for us but it has been roughly costed at 30k euros.  We only have half that in savings.  We still have a mortgage which we are aiming to finish in 9 years instead of 14 so we are upping the payments to do this.
Money is tight so I began to think are there any construction workers on the traditional Catholic forums who would like to come to Ireland for free room and meals and a small weekly wage (I mean small).  You would have no bills , access to mass (20 mins away), free time at weekends and evenings.  Not sure how transport would work out and it will need further investigation but we could probably get you access to a car for yourself.  It would suit a single man who has no responsibilities but wants to see another part of the world.  They would need some experience and be able to read and follow the plans.  Now since last March the Government have brought in new rules where you need a competency cert for different jobs and the overall engineer would have to make sure that the work complies with all the new regulatons , I see this as a major stumbling block for this idea of calling TC workers to come here and that is why I am throwing out here on this forum just to see if I could men to come.  I will check out the new rules and if I thought there was an interest in someone doing this I will double check if it could work for both of us.
We are only at drawing plans stage so it will definitely not be until summer 2015.

Looking for
Blocklayer
Roofer
Plasterer
Electrician
Plumber
Cabinet maker

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks in advance

Akavit

While it's quite possible to transport a cabinet-maker, that's one of those trades that typically requires a properly equipped shop.  You can't drag 3,000lbs. of equipment around.  Were you planning to use pre-fab boxes then simply install them?  If so, somebody who's handy with a level and drill/driver could pull it off though it would take some time.

In the USA, people who are trying to get cabinets on the cheap tend to talk about IKEA boxes.  I've no experience with them but that's what people talk about.

Bonaventure

You're looking to find a handy man to do all those trades?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

diaduit

Quote from: Bonaventure on May 20, 2014, 01:19:29 PM
You're looking to find a handy man to do all those trades?

One or many, maybe stagger who comes etc.  But one man fits all would be fantastic.

and yes I do mean the flat pack kitchens.  I did the whole expensive kitchen once before and to be honest never again.  They take the same wear and tear as MDF flatpack. I am really trying my best to do this as cost effective as possible and I was even thinking of re using my current kitchen carcus but replacing the doors etc.

All ideas welcome :)

MilesChristi

If I had any skill, I would consider it.

Enviado desde mi SCH-I545 mediante Tapatalk

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Akavit

With cabinets, you want to put the money into hardware and countertops and the finish to get the best value.  Boxes aren't an issue unless you are dealing with the threat of water damage.  Most grades of MDF and particle board fall apart in that situation but the plywood boxes don't always survive either.

Cabinets tend to degrade starting with the finish and hardware.  Full-extension, ball-bearing drawer glides are worth getting.  Euro style hinges should be replaceable if you know where to source them so that's a positive.  Nothing more annoying than being unable to fix a door that needs just one hinge.  Countertops take most of the abuse so make sure they can handle it.

Heinrich

Doesn't sound like you can afford the extension. I would advise to not have it done and deal with the situation. Keep with the mortgage plan and use the monies for the unaffordable extension to pay it down more.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Arun

Quote from: Heinrich on May 20, 2014, 08:50:50 PM
Doesn't sound like you can afford the extension. I would advise to not have it done and deal with the situation. Keep with the mortgage plan and use the monies for the unaffordable extension to pay it down more.

this is good advice

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih