Is There ANY way to Get Previous Versions of an App?

Started by Bernadette, May 11, 2014, 04:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I have a first generation iPad, which can only be upgraded to iOS 5.1.1. The Adobe Reader app for PDFs requires iOS 6.0, and there is no option (as there was with the Kindle app) to download a previous version. Is there any sneaky way to circumvent this, or is Apple subtly putting the crunch on me to upgrade to a newer device whether I like it or not? :huh:
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

RealPresents

Same issue with me: tried to up-date the Pontificate App on my soul's hard-drive, and the 'last compatible version' turned out to be Pius 12.0...also, the logo of the apple with a bite taken from it reminds me of some-thing...
(please excuse the de-rail; it was time for my annual post...)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Akavit

Try checking into alternative PDF readers to see if any are available.  After a recent reformat of my computer I was hesitant to install any Adobe products since they tend to be full of bugs, exploits and hog excessive system resources for such simple programs.  It turns out there are plenty of better readers out there and the one I'm using is Foxit.

They might have an iPad app.

Being Adobe free is great and my 6-year old computer runs better than most people's new computers when all that junk is left uninstalled.

Gardener

Quote from: Akavit on May 11, 2014, 01:10:45 PM
Try checking into alternative PDF readers to see if any are available.  After a recent reformat of my computer I was hesitant to install any Adobe products since they tend to be full of bugs, exploits and hog excessive system resources for such simple programs.  It turns out there are plenty of better readers out there and the one I'm using is Foxit.

They might have an iPad app.

Being Adobe free is great and my 6-year old computer runs better than most people's new computers when all that junk is left uninstalled.

Salient observations, and chiefly in the last one.

Are you running Windows? If so, what version. If not, what OS?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Akavit

Windows 7 pro 64-bit on an AMD Phenom II 3Ghz (quad core) system with 4 gigs of ram.  I'm not exactly a Windows expert, but that version of Windows is the only one I recommend based upon my experience with older operating systems and hearsay regarding the newest one.

It was better than average when new but is a little dated now.  It doesn't have the raw power of newer systems for cpu intensive tasks but for multi-tasking, photo-editing, 3D modeling, browsing and other basic tasks it responds instantly.  So long as I don't install a bunch of rarely used applications such as Skype, Dropbox, Adobe products and over-intrusive MacAfee clones, this computer will keep up with my working pace without bottle-necking me.

Edit:  I should clarify that I've not actually owned my PC for 6 years.  The tech is 6 years old since I always buy the previous year's technology for maximum cost vs benefit.

Gardener

Sounds like a very workable system. Windows is a very stable platform if, as you have noted, it is not overloaded with junk.

Do you backup your stuff in case the hard drive goes?

Akavit

Yes and no.  I need to get Carbonite running again.  The subscription is active but I haven't reinstalled the software yet.  There's also an external IOSafe hard drive for local backup but I'm not very good about keeping that backup on schedule.

Gardener

Quote from: Akavit on May 11, 2014, 01:40:59 PM
Yes and no.  I need to get Carbonite running again.  The subscription is active but I haven't reinstalled the software yet.  There's also an external IOSafe hard drive for local backup but I'm not very good about keeping that backup on schedule.

If you are using that machine for your business I'd think about adding the local backup to the schedule and reinstalling the Carbonite software. Nothing worse than losing productivity needlessly.

Akavit

You're right of course.  I have a little margin of safety in that my laptop also has copies of the most important files and that's not kept in the same building.  I got a little lax over the years because it used to just be a personal computer and building my own machines has practically eliminated hardware malfunctions (false sense of security).

Bernadette

Quote from: Gardener on May 11, 2014, 09:41:47 AM
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1462706

do you get the "last compatible version" message?

No. I get the "You need to update to iOS 6 in order to download this app" message.  :-\
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on May 11, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
Quote from: Gardener on May 11, 2014, 09:41:47 AM
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1462706

do you get the "last compatible version" message?

No. I get the "You need to update to iOS 6 in order to download this app" message.  :-\

Someone else recommended getting another pdf reader app.

That's a good suggestion (if they don't have the same issue as Adobe with the OS version).
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

I downloaded the Foxit app, and so far I LOVE it! I can finally re-name the files and get rid of those irritating Archive titles! ;D I just hope that there isn't a limit to how many files I can "store" in the app, s I've seen with some of the other PDF apps.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on May 11, 2014, 04:05:06 PM
I downloaded the Foxit app, and so far I LOVE it! I can finally re-name the files and get rid of those irritating Archive titles! ;D I just hope that there isn't a limit to how many files I can "store" in the app, s I've seen with some of the other PDF apps.

I downloaded it too to my Kindle Fire.  :D
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"