World Cup 2018

Started by LausTibiChriste, June 17, 2018, 02:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: JackoPaul on July 13, 2018, 01:31:50 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 13, 2018, 09:17:29 AM
Quote from: JackoPaul on July 12, 2018, 07:30:23 PM
I may be English and a football supporter but I just hate the English national team and really cant support them.

(...)

Your whole post is a staggering display of football ignorance.

On all sorts of levels (evaluating players, teams, the nature of the tournament, etc.). It's a textbook example of someone who doesn't know a flying rat about the game and yet rants non-stop.

Delicious.

I didn't realise Jose Mourinho was a member of this forum wow I am not worthy.

If you know better and got something to say then say it don't make sweeping know all statements like that genius.

If I was you I would just keep my big mouth shut

Don't take offense, Jack, most football fans have a poor understanding of the game. It's normal.

There's little to add when you say things like Colombia being "not that good" when they're easily the third most talented South American team, just a little behind Brazil and pretty much level with the current Argentina squad that is, unfortunately, in organizational shambles right now.

Or claiming that none of the Swedish players are top flight regulars when their squad has well established key stars like Forsberg and Ekdal, RB Leipizig and Hamburg midfielders, Lindelöf, Man Utd starting center-back or Toivonen and Guidetti, Toulouse and Alavés strikers. More importantly, Sweden had a very well balanced team and were able to knock out Italy from the World Cup in the qualifiers and Germany in the group phase. They were genuinely hard to beat, as recent games have shown. England was able to win the game thanks to a superb midfield organization - Henderson made a fantastic WC by the way - and tactical pressure that constantly forced the Swedes to play long ball, making them uncomfortable when in possession.

Then, you make assumptions of character about football players that are completely out of touch with reality. Sure, some of the players are spoiled brats, or seem like it. Others, on the other hand, are really good professionals. England has a young squad and the FA has been working very well on the U21 level for the past few years. This squad overachieved in this WC but you can tell they're on the right track. You have super quality players like Delle Ali and Sterling, just 22 and 23 years old. Kane, a well established star in Tottenham, just 24. Rashford, promising star at Man Utd, just 20 years old. Pickford seems to be a genuine talent on goal, finally someone worthy of the place since the great Peter Shilton. Solid talent on the back with Stones, Maguire and Walker and super talented youngers like Trent Alexander-Arnold from Liverpool (19 years old) waiting for their chance.

Southgate, far from being a "useless manager" like you said, took the time to change the team's tactical identity to a 3-5-2 with much sucess. Being a national manager is completely different from being a club manager, you have less time to practice, less time to work out drills and instill genuine routines and he was able to do that. England was also the best team in the tournament when taking set pieces (corners, free kicks), there was a lot of homework done there, something that the common fan often doesn't notice.

I could go on but I believe your rant was pretty self-explanatory, Jack. You're understandably frustrated about the result but the attacks on the English team are completely unwarranted this time.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

awkwardcustomer

JackoPaul,

Emotions are running a bit high at the moment, especially mine.

I wasn't questioning your patriotism.  Only your choice of football team.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

JackoPaul

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on July 13, 2018, 06:13:02 PM
JackoPaul,

Emotions are running a bit high at the moment, especially mine.

I wasn't questioning your patriotism.  Only your choice of football team.

Fair enough mate we will leave it at that and I wont continue the debate we obviously have different irreconcilable views.

I wont mention the "wild over the top accusations" ooops  :)

JackoPaul

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 13, 2018, 05:07:52 PM
Don't take offense, Jack, most football fans have a poor understanding of the game. It's normal.

I certainly haven't mate. You're obviously intelligent and passionate about your team. But I have to disagree with you on most things.

There's little to add when you say things like Colombia being "not that good" when they're easily the third most talented South American team, just a little behind Brazil and pretty much level with the current Argentina squad that is, unfortunately, in organizational shambles right now.

Lets face it Columbia aren't that special they are never going to win the cup. I don't think being third best team in S. America is significant considering there is only about 8 real teams anyway. As for third best well I really rate Uruguay myself and Chile won the last Copa América.

Or claiming that none of the Swedish players are top flight regulars when their squad has well established key stars like Forsberg and Ekdal, RB Leipizig and Hamburg midfielders, Lindelöf, Man Utd starting center-back or Toivonen and Guidetti, Toulouse and Alavés strikers. More importantly, Sweden had a very well balanced team and were able to knock out Italy from the World Cup in the qualifiers and Germany in the group phase. They were genuinely hard to beat, as recent games have shown. England was able to win the game thanks to a superb midfield organization - Henderson made a fantastic WC by the way - and tactical pressure that constantly forced the Swedes to play long ball, making them uncomfortable when in possession.

I am sorry mate I take it back about Sweden they aren't bad they are absolutely awful and make Iceland look world beaters. Their players are at very very best Championship standard. If as we do these days and judge by wages then I reckon the whole Sweden squads wages add up to less than Sterling's. England should have won by a mile. As I said "I think only one of them played in a top flight league, the premier league and he never gets a first team place.  " and thats
Lindelöf – just 13 appearances how many as a sub? certainly not starting centre back as you say
Forsberg -  Leipizig  6th in Bundesliga with just 15 appearances how many as a sub?
Ekdal – Hamburg Relegated from Bundesliga with just 12 appearances how many as a sub?
Toivonen - Toulouse  Ligue 1, 18th of 19  just 13 appearances
Guidetti – Alaves La Liga, 14th of 20. Just 15 appearances He was on loan there
There's no mistaking the facts that is pretty dismal and not much better than a pub team.

Then, you make assumptions of character about football players that are completely out of touch with reality. Sure, some of the players are spoiled brats, or seem like it. Others, on the other hand, are really good professionals. England has a young squad and the FA has been working very well on the U21 level for the past few years. This squad overachieved in this WC but you can tell they're on the right track. You have super quality players like Delle Ali and Sterling, just 22 and 23 years old. Kane, a well established star in Tottenham, just 24. Rashford, promising star at Man Utd, just 20 years old. Pickford seems to be a genuine talent on goal, finally someone worthy of the place since the great Peter Shilton. Solid talent on the back with Stones, Maguire and Walker and super talented youngers like Trent Alexander-Arnold from Liverpool (19 years old) waiting for their chance.

Of course I over generalise that a lot of them are scum bugs and leave hedonistic lifestyle. But I can guarantee that it is true in quite a number of cases that I know about. Just google some current and past England players and see some of their antics. So do I really want to support these guys and wish them well and achieve more glory and riches? No! Am I jealous of them? no not in the slightest I wouldn't trade places with them and if I had a son I would hate for him to become a prof footballer. If I had a daughter and she came home with one well lets not even go there.
Would they care about me or you and stop their car for us if we broke down on a dark country lane I doubt it. Yes some of the England lads do look decent sorts for example Kane. I have also heard good stories of footballers that have gone out of their way to help people even financially. But them stories are few and far between but when they are publicised that is a real concern. I must admit I haven't heard anything like that about the current generation.

Southgate, far from being a "useless manager" like you said, took the time to change the team's tactical identity to a 3-5-2 with much sucess. Being a national manager is completely different from being a club manager, you have less time to practice, less time to work out drills and instill genuine routines and he was able to do that. England was also the best team in the tournament when taking set pieces (corners, free kicks), there was a lot of homework done there, something that the common fan often doesn't notice.

I couldn't disagree more! He has no experience he only got the Middlesbrough job by default because McLaren left. He done nothing and took them down and got himself the sack. Another failed Manager like Stuart Pearce (also Pizza Hut) and the many others before him ends up on the England gravy train as U21 coach. Then being the perfect Yes Man gets the England job by default (again) when Allardyce gets the boot. Do you honestly think any Prem club would have him as manager? Would you want him at your club? Will Chelsea try and sign him? not a chance

Agreed yes set pieces are important but if that's all your team has got then you're screwed. For a start you have to get in good positions to win a set piece that you are capable of creating a chance from. That isn't going to happen against a top team that has lots of possession. You also have to admit they were not fit enough, they looked tired especially in the Croatia match. That is no excuse and down to the manager, surely its the first thing you have to get right.

As for getting a knighthood well surely Sir Elton is more worthy than Gareth lol

I could go on but I believe your rant was pretty self-explanatory, Jack. You're understandably frustrated about the result but the attacks on the English team are completely unwarranted this time.

I am really not frustrated about the result, what frustrates me is the hype and people jumping on the bandwagon. The flags, "footballs coming home" ringing in my ears constantly, people who never watch football acting like sheep. Just because I am English why does it mean I have to support people with lifestyles I despise? The sort of people that would look down on me with contempt. Are you going to see any of them in mass on Sunday what do you think they would say to you if you told them that's where you was going?

I am trying to be realistic and not over rate the players. Yes they are obviously talented especially Kane but they are never getting into that world 11. Do I think any of them will develop into absolute World Class players and make it into that world 11, I don't at all. Hand on heart do you? You said they over achieved I just think they got lucky getting to the semis. The results to me reflected the level of the team. Which is better than Sweden, similar to Columbia and worse than Croatia. People just never really analysed the facts and let their hearts rule their heads

I didn't see the same patriotic people supporting the English boxer Tyson Fury and waving flags when he became the undefeated Unified world heavyweight champion. They couldn't wait to have a go at him. Just because he is a practising Catholic against homosexuality and abortion. Okay he is a bit of a plonker but he seems to have much better morals than most footballers.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Greg

Married in 1992, so his wife Darla was early 20s, and just 2 kids?

He might be "holding onto" his Rosary but let's not pretend God cares about the results of sporting events.

For some people and cultures the Rosary is little more than a magic amulet or lucky charm.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Sempronius

Will he take the players to the 11 o'clock mass before the preparation starts?

SamVanHouten

vive la france and all those good things

Sempronius

How strange to have the next world cup in Qatar. The fans that are there will be so uncomfortable. Maybe a symptom that football is fading out..

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Sempronius on July 15, 2018, 12:53:04 PM
How strange to have the next world cup in Qatar. The fans that are there will be so uncomfortable. Maybe a symptom that football is fading out..

Have you been to Qatar?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Sempronius

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 15, 2018, 01:26:37 PM

Have you been to Qatar?

No

Lynne

My husband said that it's been reported that the 2022 World Cup will be played in November because July is too hot in Qatar (currently 113 degrees F). That won't disturb the players' regular football season or anything.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Philomena

Quote from: Lynne on July 15, 2018, 04:16:21 PM
My husband said that it's been reported that the 2022 World Cup will be played in November because July is too hot in Qatar (currently 113 degrees F).

But it's a dry heat.  ::)

awkwardcustomer

Many congratulations to France for winning the World Cup.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Lynne on July 15, 2018, 04:16:21 PM

My husband said that it's been reported that the 2022 World Cup will be played in November because July is too hot in Qatar (currently 113 degrees F). That won't disturb the players' regular football season or anything.  ::)

That is correct.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.