What kind of music is appropriate for a wedding reception?

Started by Laurentius, February 17, 2018, 08:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Have "dollar dances" ever been a thing at Catholic weddings where people go up and pay a dollar to dance with the bride or groom?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2018, 06:56:25 PM
Have "dollar dances" ever been a thing at Catholic weddings where people go up and pay a dollar to dance with the bride or groom?

Ahem.   Or pay five dollars not to dance with the mother of the bride.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Graham

I saw it done at a sedevacantist wedding reception. One of the bride's relatives drunkenly accosted me and demanded to know why I hadn't paid to dance with her yet. I'd never heard of the custom and thought he was trying to prank me. He wound up paying for me himself and dragging me over to her. Point being I've seen it done.

OCLittleFlower

Depends on the culture.  I associate this strongly with SOUTHERN Italy.  We're Northern Italian, and since most Italians in the US are of Southern origin, a lot of people tend to assume all Italian-Americans follow certain Southern Italian traditions.  No St. Joseph's table (sweets in the middle of Lent) or dollar dance in my family, because our region of Italy doesn't *do* those things.  Not because it's bad, but because it isn't our culture.  Though my Latina friend who teased me because she didn't get an invitation to our St. Joseph's table is a funny story. (That's actually how I found out about the tradition -- I googled it after she gave me crap for not inviting her to a party I'd never even HEARD OF let alone actually hosted.)

Bottom line?

It isn't good or bad or whatever -- it's just a tradition that some traditionally Catholic regions practice.  To our region, it seems strange, foreign, and tacky.  But we aren't right and the Sicilians aren't wrong (and thank God my grandma doesn't read this forum -- she'd kill me for saying Sicilians aren't wrong) -- it's just a matter of culture.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.