Christian Civilization: Daily Pictures

Started by Vetus Ordo, November 18, 2017, 04:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumen Christi

Regina Mundi
A 19th century French statue of Mary as Queen of the World.

Lumen Christi

Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
San Jose, California

Carleendiane

Quote from: Lumen Christi on January 03, 2018, 07:22:38 AM
Regina Mundi
A 19th century French statue of Mary as Queen of the World.

Beautiful. Now that's what I mean about a face that is not the girl next door. I've seen much more beautiful renderings of our lady, but beautiful in this sense, I mean it is not a common looking face. I do love Mary faces that meet that standard and also portray her as other worldy beautiful. I am convinced our Lady was unspeakably beautiful on her exterior as well as her interior.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

PerEvangelicaDicta

St. Michael atop the cathedral in Kiev.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Vetus Ordo

St. Peter's Priory in Berlin, run by the SSPX.

I've been there last weekend and took this picture during mass. Lovely church.

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Vetus Ordo

I went to Fátima today with my folks. It was slightly crowded in the Apparitions Chapel since we're approaching May.

I took some pictures that I thought I'd share with you. Enjoy.

The new UFO basilica with its "crucifix":

The old basilica on the opposite side:

Inside the old basilica, facing the main altar:

A typical side altar with one of the Stations of the Cross. In this case, the crowning with thorns:

A statue of Paul VI commemorating the first ever papal visit to Fátima in 1967. The statue was built precisely on the spot where he knelt:

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Heinrich

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 01, 2018, 11:48:25 AM
St. Peter's Priory in Berlin, run by the SSPX.

I've been there last weekend and took this picture during mass. Lovely church.

Yes. In West Berlin. On the corner, right across from an Ubahn and overpass to the north of them. Gorgeous wooden doors. I miss Berlin. October, 2016:  My Muslim/Turk cabbie turned to me upon arrival, switched to English, and said:" You never see this in Germany. . . your brothers will help you [get a ride back to East Berlin]." He was right and had a sense of respect in his voice. I went to the 18.00 Mass.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Lumen Christi on January 03, 2018, 07:26:10 AM
Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
San Jose, California

Can't wait til McGrath is gone.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

aquinas138

The iconostasis at St. Michael's Byzantine Catholic Church in Pleasant City, Ohio

What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: aquinas138 on April 20, 2018, 07:37:12 AM
The iconostasis at St. Michael's Byzantine Catholic Church in Pleasant City, Ohio

The greatest iconostasis I've seen so far was in the Church of St Clement of Rome in Moscow (the irony of that is beautiful eh?) It is awe inspiring. Orthodox don't mess around. Pictures don't do it justice - it is huge.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Vetus Ordo

Mass of the Immaculate Heart of Mary at the SSPX Priory in Fátima, Portugal:

Vetus Ordo

Pentecost Sunday in Oporto, northern Portugal.

SSPX Mass.

Vetus Ordo

Shower of rose petals on the feast of Pentecost, Pantheon, Rome - The ancient tradition of showering down rose petals into the interior of the Pantheon through the oculus or opening in the massive second century dome dates back to 609 AD when the Pantheon was consecrated as a Christian church. On that occasion the Emperor Phocas granted the Pantheon to Pope Boniface IV, asking it to be consecrated to the Virgin Mary and the martyrs. During the consecration ceremony, Boniface had thousands of rose petals dropped through the oculus as a sign of the descent of the Holy Spirit into the space.

In the years following its consecration, the tradition of showering rose petals was repeated on the feast of Pentecost, commemorating the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles fifty days after Easter. The tradition continued for centuries and was interrupted for a time but was resumed as an annual tradition in 1995.

The Pantheon was built in the second century AD by the Emperor Hadrian and it is one of the best preserved buildings from the ancient world. It was saved from abandonment and destruction during the medieval period, a fate that most of the other ancient buildings in the city of Rome suffered, because of its continued use as a church.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LHjz7n0-8Y[/yt]

Vetus Ordo

Feast of Ss. Peter and Paul in Malta.

awkwardcustomer

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.