Holy Communion at CMRI mass

Started by Tradiphil, November 17, 2017, 04:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

It's not traditional for Mass, and for that reason alone shouldn't be at a TLM.

But don't people do this in some pilgrimages?  I think I heard of it from someone who recently returned from a pilgrimage in Europe.

And if it were done in a Mass, perhaps it would be like saying "Lord I am not worthy" before Communion, but not afterwards, because afterwards you have God within, united with you, and as such are worthy (in some respect; by God's gift of Himself). It seems it could be well intended.

It does seem excessive for most people... And it is definitely not traditional for Mass.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

joe17

I second Kayla Veronica. Been to many of their chapels and know all their priests. Like someone else said, they must have gone to some other chapel not affiliated with the CMRI.

Kephapaulos

If there is ever any walking on knees, it has to do with the tradition of a pilgrimage or visit to a shrine, such as many who visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City.

Miriam_M

THIS:
Quote from: Non Nobis on November 18, 2017, 10:37:45 PM

It's not traditional for Mass, and for that reason alone shouldn't be at a TLM.

QuoteBut don't people do this in some pilgrimages? 

I have only seen it in ethnic settings, such as a Mexican Good Friday procession.  I have also seen stationary kneeling not on kneelers at Church by some Filipinos, for example, from time to time.

Jayne

Quote from: Miriam_M on November 19, 2017, 03:01:30 AMI have also seen stationary kneeling not on kneelers at Church by some Filipinos, for example, from time to time.

The OPs username is tradiphil which might indicate some connection to the Philippines.  Apparently there are some CMRI Mass centers there.  I did a bit of googling around and apparently this is an existing custom in that country of Catholics in general, not just CMRI.

It is not surprising that those who have only attended CMRI Masses in US would not have encountered it and that it would seem weird to people from cultures that don't do anything like this.

I am not sure to what extent a local custom may be incorporated into the Mass like this.  If the priest is allowing it, I'm guessing it is permissible.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Jayne on November 19, 2017, 04:06:40 AM

I am not sure to what extent a local custom may be incorporated into the Mass like this.  If the priest is allowing it, I'm guessing it is permissible.

Thank you for the information and possible explanation.  However, "permissible" is not necessarily advisable or prudent -- i.e., in keeping with the authentic Latin Mass.  There are lots of Filipinos who attend our apostolate TLM's, yet -- again -- our priest would not approve of the practice, let alone recommend it. The TLM is not about multiculturalism; that's what the N.O. loves to do.
;)

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Miriam_M on November 19, 2017, 11:02:41 AM
The TLM is not about multiculturalism

Strictly speaking, no.

But there have been approved instances of some liturgical inculturation in the past. Especially in China and Africa.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jayne

If this is a case of a priest allowing a permissible local custom, I do not feel qualified to second guess his prudential judgement on the matter.

Miriam_M

Well, that's nice.
I do feel qualified.   ;)

Jayne

I am not qualified to say whether or not you are qualified.   :)

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Southern Ascetic

Insert something witty here + Bee's Knees.

Jayne

Quote from: Bonaventure on November 20, 2017, 11:40:19 AM
Seems a little strange.

Could you please ask your wife if she has seen anything like this in the Philippines? I was actually just thinking about you, wishing you were around to ask that question.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Jayne on November 20, 2017, 02:37:30 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on November 20, 2017, 11:40:19 AM
Seems a little strange.

Could you please ask your wife if she has seen anything like this in the Philippines? I was actually just thinking about you, wishing you were around to ask that question.

I will!
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Santantonio

CMRI is a cult. I would avoid them.