Geocentric retrograde motion seems a lot faster than heliocentric?

Started by Thomas1901, October 04, 2017, 06:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matto

Quote from: Gardener on November 18, 2017, 12:25:01 PMAn an engineering student, Kaesekopf was fully open to the idea of scientific discussion, but he wasn't open to the idea of The Internet Inquisition headed by Neckbeards and Nutjobs.
I have always enjoyed the geocentrism debates on the forums. I like Cassini who was banned from all the Catholic forums except for Cathinfo for his upholding of the Holy Inquisition's condemnation of heliocentrism and opposing the latter backpedaling. I see his crusade as very similar to that of other traditional Catholics except that his beef with the hierarchy begins with 1820 instead of 1958 or 1963. All of us have our issues that are important to us and are seen as neckbeards and nutjobs by 99 percent of the Catholics in the world just like Jerome was treated like a nutjob for being scrupulous about movies and condemning those who watched immodest movies and used the internet without image blockers. So you oppose evolution? Nutjob. So you oppose contraception? Nutjob. So you will not go to your twice divorced cousin's third civil marriage? Neckbeard. So you kneel down to receive Communion at a Novus Ordo Mass? Neckbeard. So you like going to Mass that is in a language you cannot understand? Nutjob. I could go on as you all know how we are treated by the world.

I think one of the most fascinating things to me about Father Joseph Pfeiffer is his geocentrism and his sermon about it called "The Heresies of Science" was kind of mind-blowing. And I am not a geocentrist, though I kind of wish I was one.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Quaremerepulisti

It's a pretty strong litmus test of the distinction between devotion and fanaticism.  Fanaticism comes about when one's devotion to religious authority overshadows one's devotion to the truth, which should be paramount.  Yeah, I get it, you would desperately like for the Holy Office under Bellarmine to have been correct and for Galileo to have been wrong.  Things would have been much nicer were that the case.  The Church could have decisively triumphed over science, which would made things a lot easier in the forthcoming battles.  Besides, you (most of you anyway) hate science to start with, because you are at bottom ideological thinkers and science has this annoying habit of forcing one to take stock of one's prior assumptions - or, if one refuses to do so, one becomes a bad scientist, for instance, a global warming apostle.

But guess what?  The truth of the matter is the Holy Office was wrong and the earth does in fact move.  The fact that you refuse to admit this doesn't make it not true.  Reality is not determined by what you would like to be the case.  It's also the case that the Magisterium has admitted this was a mistake for quite some time.  The implications of all of this can be debated.  But the facts are the facts.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: GloriaPatri on November 18, 2017, 01:02:22 PM
Quote from: Markus on November 18, 2017, 12:21:31 PM
Geocentrism is a banned topic...
Hm, that reminds me of another forum that bans certain things from being discussed. >:(

As Gardener has mentioned, the topic was banned because its supporters have proclaimed internet anathemas against anyone who didn't hold to the geocentric position.

What GP and Gardener said. 

It's an interesting debate, but I'm more interested in the "the science and research and studies say X", and not "hey this document that was recently uncovered says you're all heretics, ya filthy animals!"

The major proponents of Internet forum geocentrism debate generally devolve into the latter, sadly. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.