40 days for life

Started by Perpetua, September 17, 2017, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perpetua

What do you all think about the campaign "40 days for life"? Would you go pray outside an abortion clinic with your little ones?

Kaesekopf

I've done it before in the wee hours of the night with my Knights of columbus council. 

I'd do it again, just not coordinated enough.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Daniel

I wouldn't because I've done it in the past, years ago, and the atmosphere was just too NO. Too much so-called "conservative" Catholicism, too much Divine Mercy devotion, too much interest in non-approved private revelation, and I'd say the whole event was too "charismatic" in general. In some cases the prayers were improvised and lead by Protestants and probably constitited an act of false worship.

That said, for the most part we were just chitchatting or praying the rosary. So I suppose it could depend on who's running it and how much non-Catholic stuff they choose to allow. But there's no guarantee it'll be entirely Catholic.

edit - There is one essential problem though, and that's that the event itself had a set of 40 pre-written prayers/reflections (a different one for each day), and, if I recall, some of those prayers/reflections carried the Vatican II spirit.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Daniel on September 18, 2017, 05:01:29 AM
I wouldn't because I've done it in the past, years ago, and the atmosphere was just too NO. Too much so-called "conservative" Catholicism, too much Divine Mercy devotion, too much interest in non-approved private revelation, and I'd say the whole event was too "charismatic" in general. In some cases the prayers were improvised and lead by Protestants and probably constitited an act of false worship.

That said, for the most part we were just chitchatting or praying the rosary. So I suppose it could depend on who's running it and how much non-Catholic stuff they choose to allow. But there's no guarantee it'll be entirely Catholic.

edit - There is one essential problem though, and that's that the event itself had a set of 40 pre-written prayers/reflections (a different one for each day), and, if I recall, some of those prayers/reflections carried the Vatican II spirit.

The Catholics I prayed with thought the 40 days for life prayers were pretty faggy and we didn't bother with them. 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Chestertonian

I have gone to such things, but I would not bring young children.  Ourchildren do not know what an abortion is and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

TradGranny

We say the rosary on the day they do late-term abortions. Most of them are N.O. (they know we don't say the lumimous, so sometimes they leave it out.)
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

christulsa

Quote from: Perpetua on September 17, 2017, 08:49:48 PM
What do you all think about the campaign "40 days for life"? Would you go pray outside an abortion clinic with your little ones?

The Diocese keeps their land across the street very tame.

You should be good going to the FSSP Tulsa coordinated hours. 

There used to be a billboard overlooking that abortion mill that said "Dr. Pepper for Life."

Carleendiane

Just a note. Our energies are sucked up in the preservation of tradition. This is our mission. Many prolifers complain the traditionalists do not participate in their scheduled events. I say many are giving freely their time in adoration,  praying their rosarys, raising their large families, facilitating the old Mass, and all that entails. Should they be marching? Maybe, but the need for workers in the traditional movement keeps us very busy.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Perpetua

Thank you for your input! Nobody seemed interested in this around here and I wondered why. I'm having mixed thoughts about it and agree with both the pro's and con's. I do have enough on my plate and I don't want my children growing up knowing what an abortion is. I don't want anything to do with the Protestant/NO prayers either. When I've gone I've just remained silent.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Carleendiane on September 18, 2017, 04:58:18 PM
Just a note. Our energies are sucked up in the preservation of tradition. This is our mission. Many prolifers complain the traditionalists do not participate in their scheduled events. I say many are giving freely their time in adoration,  praying their rosarys, raising their large families, facilitating the old Mass, and all that entails. Should they be marching? Maybe, but the need for workers in the traditional movement keeps us very busy.

And these are indeed the better things. I'd rather be a "Mary" than a "Martha" any day of the week.

The Pro Life Movement made too many of us political activists. I eschew it and throw this snake off of my neck. I have been tempted, and have succumbed. But I just don't see it as the office of a Catholic.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Gardener

Then those in the NO milieu need to look harder, or perhaps schedule things in a method which allows people the ability to get there.

Both FSSP parishes in CO are HIGHLY involved in pro-life work. Heck, when Abp Aquila in Denver did a walk around Planned Parenthood doing the minor exorcisms, it was with an FSSP priest he did so -- because that priest says Mass outside PP regularly and often does the minor exorcisms each time.

The FSSP priest is the one who started celebrating the Mass and the Diocesan priests started doing it as well:
http://www.courageouspriest.com/priest-offers-tlm-planned-parenthood-make-demons-quake

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/over-2400-catholics-process-with-eucharist-at-planned-parenthood

"Following the procession, Fr. Joseph Hearty, FSSP, celebrated the Traditional Latin Mass across the street from the abortuary."

In COS, the parish is much smaller, but there is still a big contingent of pro-life work being done in relation to the size.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

TradGranny

Quote from: Innocent Smith on September 21, 2017, 09:07:12 AM

And these are indeed the better things. I'd rather be a "Mary" than a "Martha" any day of the week.

The Pro Life Movement made too many of us political activists. I eschew it and throw this snake off of my neck. I have been tempted, and have succumbed. But I just don't see it as the office of a Catholic.

God calls some of us in different directions as we seek to know, love and serve Him. When babies are being murdered, of course it is part of being Catholic to stand up to evil. That doesn't mean that you have to become "political." Standing up to evil may mean being "political," or it may mean praying in front of an abortion clinic or doing sidewalk counseling or folding envelopes for a pro-life group, or it may mean raising a big Catholic family.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Non Nobis

I've prayed with 40 days for life a (very) few times. Yes, they do say NO prayers; I just remain silent during them. Without a family to raise and with a SSPX chapel that has few people or activities I probably ought to go more often (and the local FSSP does pray with 40 days too).

They are Catholic and while I wouldn't go to their Mass I don't feel guilty praying with them when I'm only committing to publicly praying for the unborn (I don't socialize much afterwards).  I think it continues to be a good cause, no matter how poorly the Pro-Life movement has handled it (if that is the case).

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Kaesekopf

For what it's worth, just today I was involved in a procession in my hometown from a park, down the sidewalk, in front of the abortion mill, and then back down to the park.  Blessed Sacrament in a monstrance, canopy, thurifer, crucifer, and two (very solid and very young) priests were the organizers/pushers for this.  It was part of the 40 Days for Life.  (We were also a little ecumenical as the Orthodox had a cleric there, although he just processed in his black clothing). 

No idea how proper or 'licit' or approved this was, BUT ...  nothing like a Eucharistic procession in front of a demonic place.   :cheeseheadbeer: