Is baptism invalidated by lack of faith?

Started by Daniel, August 28, 2017, 05:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I think I read somewhere that baptism is invalid if the recipient lacks the faith. Is this correct?

Gardener

It's much more nuanced...

St. Thomas covers this exact question.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4068.htm#article8

What do you mean by invalidated? The proper definition, or ineffectual?

What do you mean by lack? In total, or in part?

What do you mean by faith? Right faith, or a misunderstanding which allows an intention to receive the Sacrament "according as Christ instituted, and as the Church bestows it."?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Daniel

Suppose the recipient had no faith at all, and his sponsors had no faith either. My question is, would the recipient's guilt then be forgiven? And would he receive sanctifying grace? When would he receive the faith, if ever?
edit - I guess St. Thomas is saying that the baptism would not be valid, in such a scenario.

Gardener

You're entering into Donatism. The Sacrament is received if it follows form, matter, and intent. Intention is simply to receive Baptism and to do what the Church does. Baptism IS conferred and thus not invalid.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

christulsa

Quote from: Gardener on August 28, 2017, 06:59:15 PM
You're entering into Donatism. The Sacrament is received if it follows form, matter, and intent. Intention is simply to receive Baptism and to do what the Church does. Baptism IS conferred and thus not invalid.

The Bavarian cream form of Donut-ism?  My favorite.  ;D 🍩

- Holographic Chris

St.Justin

I believe  intent, as regard validity, has to do with the minister and not the recipient.

Gardener

Quote from: St.Justin on August 28, 2017, 08:43:08 PM

I believe  intent, as regard validity, has to do with the minister and not the recipient.

Yes. But as St. Thomas elucidates, the recipient must have an intention as well though not the same. However, Daniel has yet to define terms.

I understand it's not Donatism per se. But it has the flavor of it the way he is approaching it.

christulsa

Quote from: Gardener on August 28, 2017, 08:46:19 PM

Yes. But as St. Thomas elucidates, the recipient must have an intention as well though not the same. However, Daniel has yet to define terms.

I understand it's not Donatism per se. But it has the flavor of it the way he is approaching it.

Chocolate flavor? 

- Holographic Chris

Gardener

Quote from: christulsa on August 28, 2017, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Gardener on August 28, 2017, 08:46:19 PM

Chocolate flavor? 

- Holographic Chris

All heresies have the look of that which might taste like chocolate, but is not.

"He who touches pitch shall be wholly defiled by it" - Sirach

Non Nobis

Quote from: St. ThomasJust as the sacrament of Baptism is not to be conferred on a man who is unwilling to give up his other sins, so neither should it be given to one who is unwilling to renounce his unbelief. Yet each receives the sacrament if it be conferred on him, though not unto salvation.

I think a man who receives Baptism in this way is validly Baptized (he receives the Baptismal Character), but remains in the state of Mortal Sin (his baptism is "not unto salvation").  He is a Catholic, in the state of Mortal Sin; but like any other Catholic he can go to confession and gain the grace he should have got in Baptism. He shouldn't have received the Sacrament, but if he does it has these effects. But the mortal sin he commits by being baptized in that state is terrible indeed; if he dies before confessing or having perfect contrition he might have a worse hell than if he had not been baptized (or so I speculate).
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!