Sin and immorality

Started by Clare, July 21, 2017, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Are the words "sinful" and "immoral" interchangeable? Or can a thing be sinful without being immoral? I would imagine a thing can't be immoral without being sinful, or can it?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Daniel

Sin is moral evil (and vice versa), so I think the two terms are more or less interchangeable.

But in everyday speech the word "sinful" carries the connotation of divine retribution (i.e. an action is sinful because it offends God, and because a person has done the sinful act he is worthy of punishment for it), whereas "immoral" is more vague and neutral (i.e. something is immoral because it's contrary to the moral order); an atheist would probably not go saying that e.g. murder is "sinful" even if he does admit that murder is "immoral". But if you acknowledge that the moral law is because of God, and that God is just, there really isn't any distinction as far as I'm aware.