What's on your Amazon wishlist? :)

Started by Bernadette, June 26, 2017, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Surely everyone has something that they'd like, right? Feel free to share.
My Lord and my God.

Mono no aware

The one that has languished for the longest time on mine is The Red Book, by Carl Gustav Jung.  It's prohibitively expensive.  160 USD new, 132 used.  Second place would be the E.R. Dodds commentary edition of Proclus' The Elements of Theology (it's 180 USD in hardcover).

dymphna17

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 26, 2017, 10:03:01 AM
The one that has languished for the longest time on mine is The Red Book, by Carl Gustav Jung.  It's prohibitively expensive.  160 USD new, 132 used.  Second place would be the E.R. Dodds commentary edition of Proclus' The Elements of Theology (it's 180 USD in hardcover).

If you don't mind my asking, why "The Red Book" by CG Jung?  Are you interested in psychology?

As for my Amazon Wishlist, there are several drones on it because Hubby doesn't have his own account.   :lol:  Next on the "to buy" list:

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Bebop-2-FPV-White/dp/B01K4U4O9S/ref=pd_ybh_a_45?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CFA0R6YHEXN1WD6772NB

That and a bunch of fidget spinners.   ::)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Mono no aware

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 26, 2017, 11:28:18 AMIf you don't mind my asking, why "The Red Book" by CG Jung?  Are you interested in psychology?

I wouldn't say I'm interested in psychology, because a lot of modern psychology seems to consist of inventing disorders in order to mitigate personal responsibility.  But I do like Jungian psychology, because it's based on traditional narratives and symbols.  Some of Jung's ideas are patently outrageous, but others are quite fascinating.  The Red Book is like his personal illuminated manuscript.

My nephew would probably like your wish list.  He loves fidget spinners and badly wants a drone.

OCLittleFlower

-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

dymphna17

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 26, 2017, 11:47:35 AM
Quote from: dymphna17 on June 26, 2017, 11:28:18 AMIf you don't mind my asking, why "The Red Book" by CG Jung?  Are you interested in psychology?

I wouldn't say I'm interested in psychology, because a lot of modern psychology seems to consist of inventing disorders in order to mitigate personal responsibility.  But I do like Jungian psychology, because it's based on traditional narratives and symbols.  Some of Jung's ideas are patently outrageous, but others are quite fascinating.  The Red Book is like his personal illuminated manuscript.

My nephew would probably like your wish list.  He loves fidget spinners and badly wants a drone.

I don't know very much about psychology, but I do know that because Karl Menninger wasn't a fan of his, you would be hard pressed to find someone in the field here that is.  A psychiatrist from Brazil that came to work at the hospital I worked at, railed against this bias, only for it all to fall on deaf ears.  Needless to say, it made for spirited Medical Staff meetings as well as my having to come up with a Portuguese to English translator for the minutes.

I do not understand the fascination with fidget spinners at all.  Where did these things come from?  Was it a movie?  It seems like they just suddenly burst upon the scene and are everywhere.

I have a couple of drones I'd gladly give your nephew!  Hubby might hunt him down if I did that, though.  :lol:  Does he want to get into racing them or just have fun flying them?
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bernadette

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 26, 2017, 03:17:06 PM

I do not understand the fascination with fidget spinners at all.  Where did these things come from?  Was it a movie?  It seems like they just suddenly burst upon the scene and are everywhere.

People got tired of all of the leg-jiggling and pen-clicking, I guess.  :-\ I've got a couple of polished stone necklaces (from ebay) on my Amazon wishlist, because I like rubbing the beads on my rosary but am terrified of accidentally leaving it somewhere.

But this is what I'm really coveting: instead of the one that I have now, which was listed as a Japanese style futon but is actually stuffed with upholstery cotton (which is heavier and more liable to compressing). Plus, just look at it. So pretty.  :P And for once I don't want to make my own!  :lol:

My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bernadette

I use my Amazon wishlists to collect things from all over the internet. There's a plugin that allows you to add stuff from any site. Most convenient. :) I actually have multiple wishlists, each devoted to a specific type of item: books, movies, snacks, etc. I like lists.  :tinfoil:
My Lord and my God.

Mono no aware

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 26, 2017, 03:17:06 PMI have a couple of drones I'd gladly give your nephew!  Hubby might hunt him down if I did that, though.  :lol:  Does he want to get into racing them or just have fun flying them?

I have no doubt that my nephew would want to arm his drone and "go all President Obama" on his personal enemies, reducing them to charred and smoking piles of ash (like most of his schemes, this is in the service of impressing the girl he likes).  But I've recently been looking into getting my eggs from a local chicken farm, and he offered that instead of my driving out to pick them up, he could fly his drone (were he to have one) to the farm and they'd just load it up, and then he would direct the egg-laden drone to me for drop-off.  I have no idea what the range of a personal drone is, and when I questioned this, he said emphatically, "it's do-able!"  I think he just wanted an altruistic reason to ask his parents for a drone.

Fidget spinners are definitely annoying.

Chestertonian

They're toys.  It seems like most "adults these days" have spent the last few years complaining about how kids these days spend too much time in front of iPads smartphones,tv.. then all of a sudden the kids are all enjoying a simple low tech toy and what do old people do?

I remember the slinky commercial promising hours of fun watching the slinky roll down stairs and so so on.  A cheap metal or plastic spring with one purpose.  Every time a kid in our household got a slinky it broke within 30 minutes.  You had one job, Slinky.  My son got his fidget spinner a month ago and it's still spinning
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

martin88nyc

Books and movies. And at least a couple of natural "supplements" ;)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mono no aware

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 26, 2017, 05:22:44 PM
They're toys.  It seems like most "adults these days" have spent the last few years complaining about how kids these days spend too much time in front of iPads smartphones,tv.. then all of a sudden the kids are all enjoying a simple low tech toy and what do old people do?

It might be a mild improvement from video games, I guess, but it's still pretty mindless.  I think the complaint is generally that they're not reading instead, or going outdoors, or playing with something creative, like Legos or model airplanes.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 26, 2017, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on June 26, 2017, 05:22:44 PM

It might be a mild improvement from video games, I guess, but it's still pretty mindless.  I think the complaint is generally that they're not reading instead, or going outdoors, or playing with something creative, like Legos or model airplanes.

It's no more mindless than a slinky, silly putty, POGs, or a yo-yo

I recall going to colonial Williamsburg as a kid.  We used  to go for 4th of July weekend.  My favorite was the colonial toy shop where you could engage in old fashioned play

Theres the Bilbo:

Plus beating a hoop with a stick and chasing it.  In the 1800s there actually was a lot of hysteria about chess corrupting the youth.  Many worried it was mindless amusement but now the research shows that it supports the development of higher order thinking skills.  As for reading my son usually goes through about 3 novels a week and is already obsessively logging his reading hours for summer reading club at the public library.   You  get prizes for every 10 hours you read.  If he reads for 300 hours he wins a fidget CUBE
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"