Author Topic: Eclipse in two months  (Read 480 times)

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
Eclipse in two months
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:04:41 AM »
Where are you now and where will you travel to to see this event.

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Eclipse in two months
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:53:59 AM »
I'll be between a 0.8 and 0.9 magnitude area.  I intend on watching it overlooking a Great Lake from a high vantage point.  I won't be able to travel to see the complete eclipse, sadly.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:48 AM »
I am not travelling since it is already a pretty interesting partial. Just staying here in Southern Ontario.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
I am near Philly :( And I'm probably not going to bother travelling all the way down to South Carolina just to see it.

There is, however, a small possibility that I could be in St. Marys at that time. And St. Marys is just below its path.

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »
We're thinking about going camping somewhere in western Kentucky.  (Not in Hopkinsville, but apparently August 21st is already an 'interesting' anniversary date for that town. :D)

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
We're thinking about going camping somewhere in western Kentucky.  (Not in Hopkinsville, but apparently August 21st is already an 'interesting' anniversary date for that town. :D)

Great piece of God's earth, there.
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Lydia Purpuraria

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.

I went just now and reserved a hotel room for 30 miles away from Hopkinsville KY. All the hotels along the path of totality are booked up and/or charging triple their usual rates. But only 30 miles away the hotels were normal.

I'm looking at Shawnee State Park on the Illinois/Kentucky border as a good viewing location. The path of totality will pass right over, and the park is large enough that there will not be hordes of people. Probably best to arrive early in order to get to the good viewing spots, however.

This link below is also an interesting option. For $50 you can reserve tickets to the best spot in the US with the longest maximum duration, up on a hill with 360 unobstructed views, and located under a giant cross.

https://www.baldknobcross.com/solar-eclipse/tickets/

Edited to add: The "Miles Away" shown by the hotel booking site must be as very clever crow flies. Turns out I'm actually about 70 miles away from the path of totality. Still, it will be a quick trip on Monday morning, and not near the major centers of population where the largest number of people will be gathering, and a very nice hotel was available at a very reasonable rate.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:17:03 PM by Maximilian »

The following users thanked this post: Lydia Purpuraria

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
That's a beautiful view there, Maximilian!  And thank you for the info.  (Might be an understatement to say that we should probably plan our camping trip sooner rather than later.)

Did you see about Hopkinsville that: "On this very day of August 21st, the town of Hopkinsville whimsically celebrates a purported alien encounter with a Little Green Men festival, so the world of solar eclipses and alien encounters will conflate in Hopkinsville on this day."  I bet the Hopkinsville Chamber of Commerce is thanking their lucky stars this year!  LOL

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline Akavit

• Wachtmeister
    • Traditional Catholic Furniture and Woodwork
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »
Not sure if I can pull it off but I'm sort of planning on being on the back roads near Carbondale during the eclipse.  Scheduling such things is always difficult and I've got many other traveling obligations this summer that eat up time.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 05:47:10 AM »
High on a hill is a good spot, because you can see where the moon's shadow stops in the distance.  It looks like sunset in all directions.

I was on a hill in a campsite in Cornwall in Aug 1999

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, Lydia Purpuraria

Offline Akavit

• Wachtmeister
    • Traditional Catholic Furniture and Woodwork
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:00:19 AM »
High on a hill is a bit relative when discussing Illinois.  I took a picture of the highest elevation in my county a couple months ago.  It's in the middle of the attached picture about three miles distant.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:04:14 AM »
The hill advice only applies if you are in the centre of the path of totality.  Otherwise you won't see what I saw.  At the edge of the path the eclipse lasts less than half of the time so it is well worth trying to get to the centre.