Author Topic: AI and evolution  (Read 554 times)

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
  • Religion: Catholic
AI and evolution
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
Interesting result from AI.  When scientists tried to program perception, they thought that was the easy part.  Turned out it was extremely difficult.  The problem was called the framing problem.  It seems intelligence has to give intelligence, and it can't evolve.  I'm just getting in to this, perhaps others have comments on it.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"If what they are saying is true, the problem is not that they are the ones saying it: the problem is that we are not the ones saying it."

The following users thanked this post: Habitual_Ritual

Offline Habitual_Ritual

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Papist
Re: AI and evolution
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:03:06 PM »
Seems a similar quandary to simple biological forms giving rise to more complex ones
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith.

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
Seems a similar quandary to simple biological forms giving rise to more complex ones
How about life itself coming from lifeless matter?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

Online red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »
Hawking thinks it's a threat to our future.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
I am pretty sure that the first thing a hard logical robot would do would be to kill all Muslims with a massive neutron bomb strike.

Then all democrats and other welfare spongers.

The conservatives can get jobs as slaves polishing its microchips.

Hopefully it will kill Stephen Hawking too.  He's annoying enough to humans. But to a super-intelligent robot he has to sound like a retarded angry mother-in-law with that horrible computer voice of his.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Online red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
I had the chance to use the ACAT system (Stephen Hawking's assistive technology) a few times and it was pretty amazing.  Much less fatiguing than using your finger.  After partnering with Hawking for many years Intel recently made it open source which will likely have a trickle effect on the whole assistive technology market.  Unfortunately, Hawking lost his voice before speech synthesis was "a thing."  I have been looking into banking my voice but the recording process is a little intense and it's very expensive.  But when you get a diagnosis where you know you're going to lose your voice, you do have that option now and the technology is getting better and better.  I have recorded some commonly said phrases that we imported into my AAC app so it sounds like me, though.it's a start.  This is called "message banking" and you can just press a button and it will play the recording of your voice

There is also what's called "Voice donation" which is when you donate your voice and allow someone else to use it in their augmentative communication program.  children can record different sentences and donate it to help a child who has never spoken a word, etc

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:03:12 PM by Chestertonian »
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline Non Nobis

• By my staff!
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »
I had the chance to use the ACAT system (Stephen Hawking's assistive technology) a few times and it was pretty amazing.  Much less fatiguing than using your finger.  After partnering with Hawking for many years Intel recently made it open source which will likely have a trickle effect on the whole assistive technology market.  Unfortunately, Hawking lost his voice before speech synthesis was "a thing."  I have been looking into banking my voice but the recording process is a little intense and it's very expensive.  But when you get a diagnosis where you know you're going to lose your voice, you do have that option now and the technology is getting better and better.  I have recorded some commonly said phrases that we imported into my AAC app so it sounds like me, though.it's a start.  This is called "message banking" and you can just press a button and it will play the recording of your voice

There is also what's called "Voice donation" which is when you donate your voice and allow someone else to use it in their augmentative communication program.  children can record different sentences and donate it to help a child who has never spoken a word, etc

I think it is wonderful that such technology is being developed to help you and others with similar problems with speaking. It sounds much better than Steven Hawking's original artificial voice. 
Children say that people are hung sometimes for speaking the truth.

If I am not in the state of grace, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me

- Saint Joan of Arc

The following users thanked this post: Chestertonian

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 04:25:52 PM »

We can't even do that with technology.

But there's a more basic question: What is life?  If I view a vitamin in a cell, it is "alive".  If I extract it and put it on a plate, it is "not alive".  If I put it back in a cell, it again is "alive".  So I've derived this principal:  Life is that which comes from Life.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"If what they are saying is true, the problem is not that they are the ones saying it: the problem is that we are not the ones saying it."

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:53 PM »
An interesting question, and the one that made Berlinski abandon evolution.  It's a mathematical question and it can't be solved.  I hope to one day study this, but it is low priority right now.  I did take a few courses at the Kahn academy.  Search for "Shannon Entropy" at Kahn if you want to learn about it.

Offline MiserereDomine

• Sir Lord Master Chief Sir
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hellebardier
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »

We can't even do that with technology.

But there's a more basic question: What is life?  If I view a vitamin in a cell, it is "alive".  If I extract it and put it on a plate, it is "not alive".  If I put it back in a cell, it again is "alive".  So I've derived this principal:  Life is that which comes from Life.
Wellll, I mean, I don't think we could call a vitamin alive even if it is inside a cell. The cell as a whole is alive, but a single vitamin inside of it is not--that vitamin does not itself reproduce, metabolize, adapt, die, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
So point to me in a cell the part that is "life".  That's the problem.  Life is immaterial, but it exists.  And yes, the vitamin is part of "life" when it is in a cell.  How about NADH or Acetyl-Co-A?  Are they alive?  How about LactoDeHydrogenase?  Is it alive?