Ringing the Church Bell before Mass

Started by St. Columba, June 18, 2017, 01:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Columba

Hey all.  Our Latin Mass Community has moved into a new Church (we are renting for now), and there is a church bell that can be manually operated from the choir loft.

So, I am wondering what are the rubrics pertaining to ringing the Church bell before Mass.  How many minutes before Mass should they be rung?  How many times should they be rung?  By whom, preferably?

Fr Ripperger said ringing the bells literally chases demons away from the Church, so it seems like a good idea...plus it just seems really cool to ring them!

Thanks!   :)
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

St.Justin

when we were kids we used to stand outside the Church while the men smoked and chatted. When the bells rang cigarettes got put out and we all went in. The bells get rung before Mass and at the Consecration at our Church. Our Priest is Cuban so time means nothing to him.

Prayerful

I rang the bell before Mass at the SSPX chapel in Dun Laoghaire once, and I think that was ten rchimes, but I certainly know nothing of campanology.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The Harlequin King

The ringing of bells before Mass is a  matter of custom, not rubric. At my parish, if I'm serving Mass, I ring the bell for about a minute 10 minutes before Mass myself or (better) ask a junior altar server to do it.

St. Columba

Thanks for the replies thus far...

Does anyone know what is done at an FSSP, SSPX, or ICRSS seminary just prior to Mass?
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

Gardener

Quote from: St. Columba on June 19, 2017, 11:09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies thus far...

Does anyone know what is done at an FSSP, SSPX, or ICRSS seminary just prior to Mass?

FSSP/SSPX:

Morning bells are ringing, morning bells are ringing

ICRSS:

Sonnes les matines, sonnez les matines
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Matamoros

Quote from: Gardener on June 19, 2017, 11:35:59 AM

FSSP/SSPX:

ICRSS:

I might be missing the point of your post, Gardener, but the lyrics to Frère Jacques, "Sonnez les matines," are referring to the bells that announce morning prayers, matins, not the Mass.

Gardener

Quote from: Matamoros on June 19, 2017, 12:10:00 PM

FSSP/SSPX:

ICRSS:

I might be missing the point of your post, Gardener, but the lyrics to Frère Jacques, "Sonnez les matines," are referring to the bells that announce morning prayers, matins, not the Mass.

yes, I know. It was more a joke about the Institute using French.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Matamoros

Quote from: Gardener on June 19, 2017, 12:20:06 PM
Quote from: Matamoros on June 19, 2017, 12:10:00 PM

FSSP/SSPX:

ICRSS:

yes, I know. It was more a joke about the Institute using French.

Yep, I did it again, being too literal. Sorry, Gardener! It is actually a good joke, now that I see it!  :D