Author Topic: Dinosaur skeleton found with skin and soft tissues intact  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
Dinosaur skeleton found with skin and soft tissues intact
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
What do you think about this?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/05/rare-dinosaur-with-preserved-skin-and-bone-crushing-tail-found-in-montana/

Rare dinosaur with preserved skin and bone-crushing tail found in Montana

One of the most exciting things about this find is how much of Zuul's soft tissues were preserved, giving scientists a unique opportunity to see the texture of its skin imprinted on the rock that encased it. Zuul's spikes and scales were embedded in its skin, so now we have a very clear picture of just how dragon-like this animal appeared. Spines protruded from its body, much like the sharp plates that run down Godzilla's spine.

Arbour and Evans will also be able to run chemical analyses on the mummified skin, searching for proteins that will hint at Zuul's molecular biology. Writing on the Royal Museum of Ontario website, the researchers map out their next moves:

The incredible preservation of Zuul’s skeleton gives us the opportunity to use cutting-edge molecular palaeontology techniques to search for original proteins and other organic biomolecules in the soft tissue. We’ll also be using radiometric dating analyses to study the age of Zuul and the surrounding rocks, and will describe the other plants and animals from the quarry that lived in the same ecosystem as Zuul.

The following users thanked this post: Habitual_Ritual

Offline GloriaPatri

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Unam Sanctam Catholicam Apostolicam Ecclessiam
Re: Dinosaur skeleton found with skin and soft tissues intact
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
Under certain conditions organic tissue can be preserved for extremely long periods of time. This isn't too schocking.

The following users thanked this post: ABlaine

Offline dymphna17

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Be still and know that I am God
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:08:42 PM »
Did it answer to the name of 'Jimmy Carter'?  If so, leave it be, he's just shedding his old skin so he can look like a real boy again.  He says a Shaman in Wyoming told him to do it.   :shrug:

/Sorry Maxamilian.  I'll delete if it's too intrusive.
ن
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

“Don’t waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you’ll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master.”– Mother Angelica

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:31:33 AM »

Under certain conditions organic tissue can be preserved for extremely long periods of time.

Like 60 million years? Really?

The following users thanked this post: clau clau, Bl. Karl Hapsburg, misericonfit

Offline GloriaPatri

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Unam Sanctam Catholicam Apostolicam Ecclessiam
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »

Under certain conditions organic tissue can be preserved for extremely long periods of time.

Organic tissue decays because of exposure to the elements or the presence of bacteria that consume the dead material. Eliminate those and organic material can be preserved indefinitely.

A similar, though much more recent, example would be Wolly Mammoths that end up frozen and preserved for tens of thousands of years. When they end up frozen the bacteria that would normally decompose their bodies end up frozen as well, stalling the process indefinitely. And while this dinosaur may not have been frozen, it is still possible for a situation to occur in which its bacteria never got through the entire decomposition process.

The following users thanked this post: Prayerful, ABlaine

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »

Organic tissue decays because of exposure to the elements or the presence of bacteria that consume the dead material. Eliminate those and organic material can be preserved indefinitely.

A similar, though much more recent, example would be Wolly Mammoths that end up frozen and preserved for tens of thousands of years. When they end up frozen the bacteria that would normally decompose their bodies end up frozen as well, stalling the process indefinitely. And while this dinosaur may not have been frozen, it is still possible for a situation to occur in which its bacteria never got through the entire decomposition process.

There is no comparison between thousands of years and millions of years. There are at least 3 orders of magnitude differential, so the comparison is meaningless.

According the accepted paradigm, the entire earth has shifted and been transformed since this particular dinosaur died. Mt. Everest has grown from nothing into the tallest mountain in the world. Entire seas have vanished while new continents have been formed.

Yet soft tissue with organic proteins has been preserved?

The following users thanked this post: rbjmartin, Habitual_Ritual, misericonfit, PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline Habitual_Ritual

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Papist
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:59:33 PM »
Under certain conditions organic tissue can be preserved for extremely long periods of time. This isn't too schocking.
Millions of years? Getta town you clown .

Also partial DNA samples have been take from dino bones. No way DNA survives millions of years, under any conditions
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith.”

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »

Like McDonalds french fries perhaps ...

Is the Pope Catholic ?  (shouldn't that be: Are the Pope's Catholic ?)

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 01:00:57 AM »
What do ya'll think the agenda is?
I used to collaborate with paleontologists in a limited manner, a dream come true for a little girl who studied dinosaurs since early childhood.  But I have many doubts now about all variety of scientific discoveries and research findings, since junk science rules the day, and with outcome driven funding so predominant. 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, ABlaine

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 02:36:35 AM »
Surely 60 million years of gamma rays and background radiation would break down soft tissue in anything.  Airline crews are noticeably exposed to ionising radiation compared to non frequent flyers over a 30 year career.  Over 60 million years a dead reptile in the ground would have enough gamma rays and high energy particle blasting through the earth and through it, plus radiation from the earth itself that I would have thought that no soft tissue could last.

The following users thanked this post: OCLittleFlower, rbjmartin, Larry

Offline Quaremerepulisti

• Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
Surely 60 million years of gamma rays and background radiation would break down soft tissue in anything.  Airline crews are noticeably exposed to ionising radiation compared to non frequent flyers over a 30 year career.  Over 60 million years a dead reptile in the ground would have enough gamma rays and high energy particle blasting through the earth and through it, plus radiation from the earth itself that I would have thought that no soft tissue could last.

Yes, but you need to take into account the soft tissue being surrounded by bone and/or minerals from fossilization, which will attenuate the radiation.
The real purpose of traditionalist polemics is not to find truth, but to attempt to construct an epistemological fortress rendering one's worldview impervious to attack.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 01:01:19 AM »
Gamma rays past through many feet of concrete.  They are not likely to be "attenuated" by minerals.

The following users thanked this post: rbjmartin

Offline Elizabeth

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
What do ya'll think the agenda is?
I used to collaborate with paleontologists in a limited manner, a dream come true for a little girl who studied dinosaurs since early childhood.  But I have many doubts now about all variety of scientific discoveries and research findings, since junk science rules the day, and with outcome driven funding so predominant.
Thank you for asking, dear PerEvangelica.  I flat out believe these are dragons.  I think the millions given to the Smithsonian Institution to promote atheism/evolution have worked to change the truth.  The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History is a temple of masonic propaganda here in DC.
(I often go, and when I check, they are still dragon skeletons there. 8))
St. Margaret, pray for us.

Offline Quaremerepulisti

• Feldwebel
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
Gamma rays past through many feet of concrete.  They are not likely to be "attenuated" by minerals.

Please rejoin this discussion when you have at least a basic understanding of the physics involved.  And no, putting attenuated in scare quotes doesn't change the fact that it happens.
The real purpose of traditionalist polemics is not to find truth, but to attempt to construct an epistemological fortress rendering one's worldview impervious to attack.

Offline ABlaine

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »
Geology was my field of study in university and this is one of the single most frustrating threads I've seen in a while.

Regarding gamma rays

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/142005/how-earth-protected-from-the-gamma-rays-generated-by-sun

Fewer than you think even reach Earth, those that do are dealt with in the upper atmosphere.

---

Regarding the fact that over the last 60 million years mountains have grown and oceans have vanished.

Yeah, and? Certain parts of the earth are very geologically active (Hawaii, the Himalaya, etc) some are not active at all (Canadian Shield, etc). Plate tectonic theory allows for some areas to be changing incredibly rapidly, while others aren't at all. The earth is a complicated environment and, just as the weather and climate very by location, so too does the geological environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

-----

Regarding DNA, as far as I am aware the only substantial DNA recovery has been from Wolly Mammoths. But either way, DNA can last a long, long time but it is limited.

http://www.livescience.com/23861-fossil-dna-half-life.html

Obviously partials of DNA might last even longer. This is not something that I studied in depth.

Either way, the point is moot as DNA is far more fragile that other forms of organic matter. So it doesn't really matter as they are not claiming to have recovered DNA in this case, just skin and some other tissue.

---

Lastly, soft tissue preservation in sedimentary rock that was rapidly deposited is not that uncommon. If you are interested in reading about other instances of where this has happened, how it has happened, and what the processes are that allowed for it and why they are rare, I'll refer you to this paper (it reviews several different instances where this has occurred):

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lezanno/Research_files/annurev-earth-final-published_1.pdf

The fact that this happens doesn't somehow negate the fact that God created the universe nor the general teachings of the Church so I don't really see the point of constantly grasping at these straws.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:50:31 PM by ABlaine »

The following users thanked this post: LouisIX, Prayerful