SIBO 101: A Comprehensive Guide to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth

Started by martin88nyc, April 14, 2017, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

This is a thorough explanation of SIBO and its effects on the whole body. If anyone of you is interested in finding out more about it you could research it for yourself as more and more people around the world suffer from some type of GI issue which most likely is caused by SIBO. I will quote a specific part of this article as it pertains to my own psychological and cognitive symptoms.

http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/sibo-101-a-comprehensive-guide-to-small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth/

QuotePsychological or Cognitive Symptoms Associated with SIBO

A wide variety of psychological disturbances are experienced by people with SIBO, which are often not discussed in the literature. These symptoms can be much more frightening and disruptive than the gastrointestinal symptoms. Your gut bacteria can have a profound impact on your brain in a variety of ways which manifests as cognitive or psychiatric symptoms.

When the gut lining is compromised, then toxins from the bacteria or other microbes that may reside there like Candida get into the bloodstream, once in the bloodstream, then they can travel to the brain where they may impair neurotransmitter production or function that regulates our moods, thoughts, and behavior. Additionally, bacteria may use the vagus nerve to transmits signals to the brain that may impair neurotransmitters. The vagus nerve consists of a variety of branches that travel from the brain to the gut and it is used by the brain to send messages to the gut and vice versa, and it comes in contact with the heart and other organs along the way. Signals from the vagus nerve help modulate mood, fear, and anxiety. The vagus nerve is also believed to be associated with neurogenesis (the formation of new neurons) and increasing brain derived neurotrophic factor, a substance involved in neurogenesis and in protecting existing neurons and encouraging synapse formation.

Bacteria can also produce false neurotransmitters that would interact with neurons and they may interfere with enzymes that are needed to break down neurotransmitters. For example, the bacteria called clostridia is associated with conduct disorders, autism, depression, schizophrenia and even psychoses by altering neurotransmitters in the brain. Certain species of Clostridia can inhibit an enzyme called dopamine beta hydroxylase needed to convert dopamine into norepinephrine. Dr. William Shaw explains that this "results in an excess of dopamine and a deficit in norepinephrine, leading to obsessive, compulsive, stereotypical symptoms associated with dopamine and reduced exploratory behavior and learning in novel environments" associated with a norepinephrine deficit commonly seen in autistic children. Excess dopamine is also associated with schizophrenia and psychoses. These disorders often respond favorably to treatment with the antibiotic vancomycin, which targets clostridia.

Furthermore, a phenomenon called molecular mimicry may occur. For example, Rheumatic Fever is a condition that develops after an infection with a group A streptococcus bacteria, because proteins in the cell wall of the bacteria are similar to proteins that exist in various places throughout the body like the heart, brain, and joints. The immune system mistakes human tissue for the bacteria protein and attacks them. Inflammation and damage to these tissues can then lead to heart disease, arthritis and/or abnormal movements called Sydenham's Chorea or St. Vitus Dance. Another disorder called PANDAS, which develops in children after an infection with streptococcus, manifests as obsessive compulsive disorders (OCD), behaviors, or tic disorders. So it is believed that PANDAS develops in a similar manner as Rheumatic Fever develops, the immune system is attacking tissue in the brain, which causes inflammation and affects the way the brain functions.

Additionally, one of the byproducts produced by some species of bacteria (predominantly gram negative anaerobes like Enterobacteriaceae, Proteus, and Clostridium species) when they utilize protein, is ammonia. Ammonia is a neurotoxin when in excess and can lead to, neuroinflammation, impairment of neurons, brain fog, mental confusion, impaired cognitive functioning, hepatic encephalopathy and more. High levels of ammonia deplete alpha keto glutaric acid, which is needed to detox ammonia out of our central nervous system, which then allows ammonia to build up to toxic levels. High levels of ammonia can overload the liver and kidneys as well and may produce a wide range of other symptoms like headaches, irritability, fatigue, diarrhea, and nausea. Utilizing protein can also lead to protein deficiencies and compromise the immune system even more.

Some bacteria produce histamine out of the amino acid histidine in the diet, which can cause an elevation of histamine. High histamine can lead to a wide variety of psychological disturbances like OCD, addiction, abnormal fears, brain racing, schizophrenia and more, as well as physical symptoms like hives, itching, weepy eyes, runny nose, gastrointestinal symptoms and more.

If overgrowth involves D-Lactate producing bacteria, they may cause elevated levels of D-Lactate, which is neurotoxic and may lead to neurological symptoms like brain fog, disorientation, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorders, depression, confusion and more.

Dr. Emeran Mayer, a professor of medicine and psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that connections between regions of the brain differ depending on what species of bacteria is dominate in a person's gastrointestinal tract. Mayer states that this suggests that "what kind of brains we have — how our brain circuits develop and how they're wired." may be partly determined by the particular microbes that are present in our gut.

Researchers at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario discovered that if they replaced the gut bacteria from mice that were fearless into mice that were anxious then the anxious mice become less anxious and more gregarious and if the replaced the but bacteria of the fearless mice with the bacteria from the anxious mice, then the fearless mice became more timid. Additionally, aggressive mice would become calm when their gut bacteria was altered with diet, probiotics, and antibiotics. While researchers in Ireland found if they cut the vagus nerve in mice, then the brain would no longer respond to changes in the gut biome.

Dr Mark Lyte of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in Abilene studies how microbes affect the endocrine system and he has been quoted as saying, "I'm actually seeing new neurochemicals that have not been described before being produced by certain bacteria. These bacteria are, in effect, mind-altering microorganisms." Athena Aktipis, Ph.D., evolutionary biologist and psychologist with the Arizona State University Department of Psychology explains that "Microbes have the capacity to manipulate behavior and mood through altering the neural signals in the vagus nerve, changing taste receptors, producing toxins to make us feel bad, and releasing chemical rewards to make us feel good."

Since we know bacteria can have this impact on the brain, it is logical to assume that bacteria involved with SIBO would have the same capabilities. Furthermore, if SIBO has lead to nutritional deficiencies, like B12, iron, calcium and magnesium, this can also lead to a wide variety of psychiatric symptoms as these nutrients are vital for proper brain function and neurotransmitters that moderate our thoughts, mood, and behavior.

Some of the most common symptoms experienced in the brain by people with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth include, but are not limited to:

Brain fog (can be quite severe)
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (many people with SIBO have OCD or OCD tendencies.)
Attention deficit
Hyperactivity
Depression
Anxiety
Impaired memory and problem solving abilities
Unexplained fear or paranoia
Thought process being choppy instead of smooth
Tourettes or Tics
Dyslexia
Loss of overall feelings of well-being
Songs or phrases getting stuck in head, but not in a normal or pleasant way.
When SIBO is more severe it may produce the following:

Weight loss (can be severe)
Malabsorption
Malnutrition/ Nutritional deficiencies (with iron and B12 being most common)
Anemia (duet to B12 deficiency or low iron)
Failure to thrive
Hepatic encephalopathy
(Possibly severe mental health issues like schizophrenia, psychoses etc.)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Heinrich

Sounds like it is time for sauerkraut and sausage, my friend. As a Pole, you should be right familiar.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

martin88nyc

Sauerkraut would make me worse at this point. I first need to kill "bad bacteria" and then restore my intestinal flora. In SIBO the bacteria from large intestine go into the small intestine and there they wreak havoc. They are not supposed to be there. Perhaps my immunity is weak or I have motility problems or thyroid. These, more or less, have been ruled out but my thyroid was a little low but within referance range so perhaps I should talk to my doc about thyroid meds.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Heinrich

Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2017, 07:39:16 AM
Sauerkraut would make me worse at this point. I first need to kill "bad bacteria" and then restore my intestinal flora. In SIBO the bacteria from large intestine go into the small intestine and there they wreak havoc. They are not supposed to be there. Perhaps my immunity is weak or I have motility problems or thyroid. These, more or less, have been ruled out but my thyroid was a little low but within referance range so perhaps I should talk to my doc about thyroid meds.

Wait, whaaat? Kraut has good bacteria. No pain, no gain. To paraphrase Gordon Gecko: "Grease is good."
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

martin88nyc

I know it is good bacteria but when sibo strikes hard, the intesties become inflamed and brush border enzymes are gone. Then everything becomes hard to digest and lots of gas  is produced in effect. Bad bacteria or rather bacteria from colon populates the small intestine and adding probiotics makes everything worse at this point/

Carleendiane

Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2017, 08:40:50 AM
I know it is good bacteria but when sibo strikes hard, the intesties become inflamed and brush border enzymes are gone. Then everything becomes hard to digest and lots of gas  is produced in effect. Bad bacteria or rather bacteria from colon populates the small intestine and adding probiotics makes everything worse at this point/

No way would we want your"intesties" to become enflamed. 8)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Pacebene83

"Moesha——-ve need more hot chicken soup, darlink."

This topic is upsetting to all the Sodomites, it's homophobic,  good grief.

I have to leave this topic, I getting behind in my chores.

IBS

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Pacebene83

Jayne,

YES——-every 2 hrs Moesha vill make hot chicken soup mit a matzo ball.....no pork, no, no, just chicken. Oui Vey.  So you can see the diet of hot chicken soup must be taken every zwie hours....so data da GAP——

Moesha—-couple of schmucks on dis panel,   dummin aezle.  Schalom— or is it—- Hag Go Nay.   Zo vat's the diffrence?

IBS

Pacebene83

Of course you all know that this uhhhhh, this   "bowel " stuff is very upsetting to the Sodomites—————and it better not reflect any anti homophobic attitude——so there,       uhhhh   while I get my   GASSS X tabs..

LouisIX

Quote from: Heinrich on April 15, 2017, 07:41:57 AM
Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2017, 07:39:16 AM

Wait, whaaat? Kraut has good bacteria. No pain, no gain. To paraphrase Gordon Gecko: "Grease is good."

From what I've heard, raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut is one of the most potent sources of probiotics in the world.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Pheo

Yeah fermented foods in general are great.  And sauerkraut is pretty fun to make with family.  It doesn't take a huge serving to get 10 or 100x more probiotics than you do out of a capsule.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

LouisIX

Quote from: Pheo on June 06, 2017, 04:37:59 PM
Yeah fermented foods in general are great.  And sauerkraut is pretty fun to make with family.  It doesn't take a huge serving to get 10 or 100x more probiotics than you do out of a capsule.

Plus, it tastes fantastic.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

JubilateDeo

Despite being Irish and Eastern European, I have never been able to get myself to like anything with cabbage.

martin88nyc

While fermented foods are a great source of beneficial gut bacteria, they tend to cause more problems for SIBO sufferers as they have an overgrowth of bacteria. First line of defense is antibiotics or herbal antimicrobials that work just as good or even better. A sibo patient needs to go through a couple of rounds of antibacterial agents before desired results are noticed. This is a very complicated problem that needs more than just a diet and antibiotics. Timing is very important and maintenance is the key to success.
SIBO is also treated with a specific SIBO diet( low fodmaps + GAPS or SCD diet) this is very restrictive and not intended for lifetime. 1 to 2 years in severe cases. Of course these gut disturbances are usually a result of something else like motility issues or sluggish thyroid, genes r illeocecal valve disorders.