Author Topic: Thoughts on language acquisition as an adult, a realization, and a conclusion.  (Read 570 times)

Offline Kephapaulos

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Thank you for sharing your linguistic history, Bernadette. I am an avid learner and lover of various languages myself.

Have you by chance heard of Cardinal Mezzofanti? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Caspar_Mezzofanti
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:31:10 AM by Kephapaulos »

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
No, I've never heard of him. My great-grandma spoke eight, and my grandma was proficient in at least 3, as was my aunt and as is my sister, so it seems to run in the family.  :P
St. Therese, pray for me. You who knew such dryness and spiritual anguish, take pity on me.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce." A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act III Scene ii

Offline Matamoros

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
Very interesting, Bernadette!  I have studied almost 20 languages, almost always in a classroom setting, and that has always worked well for me. But the exciting stage is definitely when you can learn from the environment. I haven't had much opportunity to do that yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Matamoros

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
With regard to Japanese, I was also intimidated by the writing system. I started a course, which began by teaching hiragana, and I thought, this isn't so hard! Then I realized that I still had to learn katakana and kanji, and I confess, I gave up.  :(  I wish the teacher had introduced more of the spoken language early and not insisted so much on mastering the written forms first.

Offline Matamoros

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
I had a similar experience with Chinese. I attended a school where they had this idea that teaching American children Chinese, particularly the written characters, would make them smarter. (This while discouraging the Hispanic children from speaking Spanish.  :rolleyes:) At first I thought learning Chinese would be fun, but memorizing dozens of intricate characters by rote was, to me, mind-numbing. Fortunately I was able to pick up some oral Mandarin and Cantonese later. But that early experience left a bad impression and has kept me from wanting to study the language more diligently. It's a shame, because I really like the sound of Chinese with all its tones.

Offline Matamoros

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
I could go on, but I'm worried I might be hijacking your thread, Bernadette.  :D

Offline Matamoros

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
I think I'll start another thread.  :)