Linux Users

Started by Hat And Beard, February 03, 2017, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat And Beard

Hey all,
Are there any other Linux users here? If so, post your setup.

Thinkpad:
Debian Testing(soon to be Stretch)

Desktop Tower:
CentOS, but I'll probably switch it to Debian whenever I start using it more often

Chestertonian

I used to use kubuntu when I built a  desktop computer but that was over 10 years ago
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

PerEvangelicaDicta

Linux Mint Rosa - Cinnamon
Unfortunately it's installed on 2 year old Acer laptop that came with Windows 10, and was pretty much a lemon out of the box.  Closeout sale, so not returnable :(    Linux is great, but I'm counting the days until I can replace the laptop.

Bottom line:  my setup is lame lol
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Hat And Beard

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on February 04, 2017, 11:44:33 AM
Linux Mint Rosa - Cinnamon
Unfortunately it's installed on 2 year old Acer laptop that came with Windows 10, and was pretty much a lemon out of the box.  Closeout sale, so not returnable :(    Linux is great, but I'm counting the days until I can replace the laptop.

Bottom line:  my setup is lame lol
Have you ever thought about getting a used laptop? You can get some awesome deals on used thinkpads(if you know where to look and don't mind rolling the dice).

Kaesekopf

If all you're doing is Word Processing and Interneting, I found even my 8 year old ($150) laptop works like a peach (it even runs MATLAB and Xilinx!) 

Doesn't have Win10, though (more of a selling point, tbh). 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 04, 2017, 04:47:00 PM
If all you're doing is Word Processing and Interneting, I found even my 8 year old ($150) laptop works like a peach (it even runs MATLAB and Xilinx!) 

I have a thinkpad x200 that's from 2008 that can do anything I need it to. I paid $75 for it, and had to buy a new battery, but it has put up with everything I've thrown at it like a champ. The only thing it can't do is gaming.

Bernadette

Quote from: Hat And Beard on February 04, 2017, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 04, 2017, 04:47:00 PM

I have a thinkpad x200 that's from 2008 that can do anything I need it to. I paid $75 for it, and had to buy a new battery, but it has put up with everything I've thrown at it like a champ. The only thing it can't do is gaming.

I'll keep this in mind for when my transformer book dies. Still going strong after two years, so I'm pleased overall.
My Lord and my God.

Quenyen

Yep.   I use Linux exclusively at work and at home.  My distribution of choice is Manjaro which is an Arch Linux offshoot.  Lately I haven't any reason to use any other operating system.

Mac_Benny

I never caught on to using Linux for workstations, but use RHEL extensively at work and have RHEL test servers at home. I did have a MAC in school a couple of years ago and miss the heck out of it. Would of kept it if Apple would be realistic about their memory pricing and upgrading (My MBA couldn't be upgraded). I just have a couple of old games (Cossacks and Capitalism II) that I play when I need to zone out that require Windows and I do not know if they will run in VM.

I'm getting close to ditching Win10 though. One issue I ran into in playing with Ubuntu Desktop recently was I kept getting errors trying to install VMware Player. I have several VMs for testing and need that to run like a champ.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Mac_Benny on March 28, 2017, 03:16:01 PM
Would of kept it if Apple would be realistic about their memory pricing and upgrading (My MBA couldn't be upgraded).

This is the worst thing about Apple imo. I love the aesthetic/weight of the macbook air and would totally buy one were it not for this(it's so much to get a reasonable amount of RAM from them). I buy used thinkpad x series instead and upgrade RAM/SSD myself(if only there was a market for used 2GB RAM sticks :laugh:).

Der Polka-König

Quote from: Hat And Beard on March 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: Mac_Benny on March 28, 2017, 03:16:01 PM
Would of kept it if Apple would be realistic about their memory pricing and upgrading (My MBA couldn't be upgraded).

This is the worst thing about Apple imo. I love the aesthetic/weight of the macbook air and would totally buy one were it not for this(it's so much to get a reasonable amount of RAM from them). I buy used thinkpad x series instead and upgrade RAM/SSD myself(if only there was a market for used 2GB RAM sticks :laugh:).

I feel the same. Apples look nice, are quite dependable, etc, and at least are *NIX-based, but so, so, so overpriced. When the new MacBook Pro came out last fall, I priced one with the same hw specs as my ThinkPad which I bought over the summer. $2400 for the MacBook, whereas my ThinkPad cost $900. Again, exact same hw specs (well, no, not really. My ThinkPad has way more ports -- including VGA, HDMI, USB 2 and 3.... but that's another issue).

RAM isn't much of an issue for me though. My ThinkPad has 16gb, and using it for programming running Arch Linux (Cinnamon desktop) with multiple monitors and workspaces, VMs, etc, it's still never gone above 8gb. For everyday web browsing, email, etc, I've gone back to primarily terminal-based apps (w3m, Mutt, Newsbeuter, etc) to cut down on the aggravating noise of constant adverts and autoplay-videos that have become so pervasive on the web. It's also kind of fun for the 90s nostalgia, as an added bonus.
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

martel

I've tried a few Linux distros but settled on Linux Lite a few years ago. The latest release is LL 3.4 but I'm planning onstaying with version 2.8
Does everything for me that I need and is very fast. Version 2.8 has long term support until at least 2020 - then I might upgrade.

I should add that Linux Lite support forums are just excellent.

CaptCrunch73

I run

- Ubuntu 13 in vagrant on my iMac at home
- Ubuntu 13 and busybox on Dell, Linux, HP and Cisco Servers in work
- Wind River Linux 8 on embedded hardware in work
"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

clau clau

2 raspberry Pi's (Model B and Raspberry PI 2).  One used as a media server using osmc (Linux media server).  The other is running raspbian (or it might be server only debian).

Dell PC tower running Windows XP and Linux mint 2 partitions.
HP PC tower running Windows 7 and Linux mint 2 partitions.

My son has about 10 different version on various computers (Mint, Debian, Ubuntu etc...).  I think his favourite is Puppy Linux.

All are connected via a Lan at home with several bridging routers.

Edit: If you are counting work then include Redhat Linux running on loads of servers for various dev/test/production environments.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

james03

Suse.  Can't remember why, but I got sick of gnome and wanted to try out KDE.  Been running the distro for a year or 2 and it works well.  Gnome apps are more polished, but I like the simplistic desktop of KDE.  Tried Xubuntu for awhile, but that was a little too primitive.

Been on Linux for about 10 years.  I hate using Windows at work.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"