Do you iron your quilt tops?

Started by Bernadette, September 15, 2016, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

To make all the seam edges lie nice and flat, before making the "sandwich"? Or do you use a seam-presser? I've been toying with the idea of getting a mini iron http://www.clover-usa.com/en/mini-iron/532-mini-iron.html to make the job easier, but I'd rather not be so dependent on another gadget... I'm conflicted.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Yes but I iron as I go along, as blocks are joined, as rows are joined, etc.

I wouldn't find a mini-iron helpful for that.

By the the time the top is finished, you're just giving it a final pressing.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

I'm too lazy to iron as I go.  :-[ Plus, I'm working with such tiny seams and pieces. I do make doll clothes for my doll collection, too, so maybe a mini iron would be worth it...
My Lord and my God.

verenaerin

I do the same a Lynne. Every seam is pressed as I go along.

MundaCorMeum

I'm only working on my third quilt ever right now, and the second one wasn't even pieced....i just quilted two crib sized pieces of fabric and batting together, so my experience hardly carries much weight. But, I do the same as Lynne as Verena....I iron as I go.

Lynne

But, the quilt police are not going to inspect your top before you sandwich it!  :cheeseheadbeer:

So, whatever floats your boat...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

I don't iron much at all.

Formal wear, holiday money, transfers onto T-shirts.  That's about it.  We hang stuff straight and let gravity get the creases out.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bernadette

Oh, I don't iron much, either. But I make an exception for the quilt top before adding the batting and backing.
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

I actually like the puckering and such. On a quilt, not my clothes.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

verenaerin

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 25, 2016, 08:34:48 AM
I actually like the puckering and such. On a quilt, not my clothes.

That happens when you don't prewash the material and batting, sew and quilt the whole thing, then wash and dry it. The cotton shrinks and gives the puckered effect.