Flat Earth

Started by dolores, September 15, 2016, 11:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: inlaetitia on July 31, 2017, 05:28:40 AM

Source looks like potato

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

clau clau

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 30, 2017, 06:13:07 PM
Zoom in on Saturn and it looks like what nasa claims. 

It's funny you should mention Saturn.  My Dad brought home a fairly powerful telescope from work years ago.  My brother and I set it up in the back garden.  We set the magnification to something fairly high (I think it was 40 times).  Purely by chance we pointed the thing directly at Saturn and it looked exactly like the image below.

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

inlaetitia

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on July 31, 2017, 07:21:29 AM
Quote from: inlaetitia on July 30, 2017, 03:26:58 PM
Well its obvious by your tone, that you don't seriously want the answer, but I will answer for those genuinely curious. The sun expands and contracts its orbit for the seasons. Starting say in the north for the summer solstice, where its orbit is the smallest, it gets faster and faster getting wider and wider, until it gets to the summer solstice where it "turns back" and starts getting slower and slower, until it gets back to the original point.

You are so full of bullshit.  If the sun's orbit were farther away in winter from a flat earth, the entire earth would be colder.  Yet the southern hemisphere is warmer when it is winter in the northern hemisphere.

You're misunderstanding the theory. It is not that it is farther away as a whole, but that the circle with which it orbits expands. North pole in centre, Antarctic around the edges. Did you see the map in the video?

inlaetitia

Quote from: clau clau on July 31, 2017, 11:11:43 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 30, 2017, 06:13:07 PM
Zoom in on Saturn and it looks like what nasa claims. 

It's funny you should mention Saturn.  My Dad brought home a fairly powerful telescope from work years ago.  My brother and I set it up in the back garden.  We set the magnification to something fairly high (I think it was 40 times).  Purely by chance we pointed the thing directly at Saturn and it looked exactly like the image below.

If you say so.

red solo cup

Quote from: inlaetitia on July 31, 2017, 11:55:23 AM
Well its obvious by your tone, that you don't seriously want the answer, but I will answer for those genuinely curious. The sun expands and contracts its orbit for the seasons. Starting say in the north for the summer solstice, where its orbit is the smallest, it gets faster and faster getting wider and wider, until it gets to the summer solstice where it "turns back" and starts getting slower and slower, until it gets back to the original point.

You are so full of bullshit.  If the sun's orbit were farther away in winter from a flat earth, the entire earth would be colder.  Yet the southern hemisphere is warmer when it is winter in the northern hemisphere.
[/quote

You're misunderstanding the theory. It is not that it is farther away as a whole, but that the circle with which it orbits expands. North pole in centre, Antarctic around the edges. Did you see the map in the video?
Are you saying Flat Earth is only a theory?  ;)
non impediti ratione cogitationis

inlaetitia

About the sun and moon it is a theory.

About the earth, no.

Heinrich

Q, are you on the autism spectrum? If so, you get a pass. If not, clean up your act.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

Quote from: inlaetitia on July 31, 2017, 11:55:55 AM
If you say so.

Here's a subreddit full of people who like astronomy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Astronomy

Here's a search for people taking amateur photos of Saturn:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Astronomy/search?q=saturn&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Here's a photo of Saturn from some amateur dude:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kephapaulos

Positions on science today can be analogous to the positions of Catholics today. (Not that Catholics of each position hold to each correlating scientific position necessarily.)

Here we go with each spectrum:

Flat earther                     -    Sedevacantist, Resistance, Feeneyite

Geocentrist                     -    SSPX

Creationist/Acentrist        -    FSSP, ICKSP, Ecclesia Dei, etc.

Theistic Evolutionist         -    Novus Ordo

Atheistic evolutionist        -    Heretic, schismatic, apostate, pagan

John Lamb

If you've never once in your life believed that the earth is flat then you're close minded.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Clare

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 26, 2017, 08:46:29 AM
This indicates that the earth was created with the appearance of being older than it actually is.  It is an objective fact, for example, that there are appearances of geological strata.  There are rock formations with lines in them.  Either these rocks were created this way, giving only the appearance of age, or they were formed this way over a long period of time with layers of sediment being deposited gradually. ....
Or cataclysmic events like the Fall and the Flood caused the earth to age considerably in a short space of time. That's what I've always considered possible anyway.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

PerEvangelicaDicta

Keph, love ya man!  But I can assure you that so called "Feeneyites" have no association to the flat earth theory.  At least, not as a group.  Perhaps a rogue  :P
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Kephapaulos

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on September 27, 2017, 12:55:40 PM
Keph, love ya man!  But I can assure you that so called "Feeneyites" have no association to the flat earth theory.  At least, not as a group.  Perhaps a rogue  :P

It's not a association I meant necessarily. It has more to do with a correlation of the spectrum of Tradition as analogous to positions of science.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Kephapaulos on September 29, 2017, 03:23:38 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on September 27, 2017, 12:55:40 PM

It's not a association I meant necessarily. It has more to do with a correlation of the spectrum of Tradition as analogous to positions of science.

Got it.   Actually I enjoyed your correlation because, coincidentally, when I began reading this thread I had a similar thought!
But, speaking as one who leans toward the good Fr. F, and those I know who are much more stalwart defenders of him, not a FEer in the bunch.  Just for the record.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19