Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 4670 times)

Offline dolores

• Korporal
Flat Earth
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »
Over at CI, there are several threads devoted to debating whether or not the earth is flat.  I have never encountered anyone is real life who honestly believes that the earth is flat; has anyone else?  I initially thought that these posters on CI were just trolls, but the threads go on for hundreds of pages.

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
I've met at least 1 and know of several more but have never spoken to them.

I asked them to explain geostationary satellites.  They suggested that they could be very long poles (I am not making this up!)

I explained that I had actually set up a satellite disk in my garden and as I moved the receiver closer and closer to the correct angle that the signal strength increased visibly.  I asked how this was possible.  Again, very long poles was the explanation.  The location of this 'very long pole' is of course a mystery.

I have seen a thread where somebody posted a picture of dozens of satellite dishes in a Indonesian village close to the equator.  They were all pointing straight up.  Here the explanation was that they were not actually satellite dishes and that it was some kind of art exhibit.   Obviously the very long pole explanation would not work at the equator.

Is the Pope Catholic ?  (shouldn't that be: Are the Pope's Catholic ?)

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
I think Matthew has a policy of allowing a certain few lunatics to stay occupied in a thread or two, and leave the rest of Cath Info alone. Care in the Community (a UK mental health policy where the disturbed were treated outside hospitals in residential settings but it ended up a way to close hospital more than anything)?
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema.

Galatians I, 4

Offline dolores

• Korporal
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »

I asked them to explain geostationary satellites.  They suggested that they could be very long poles (I am not making this up!)

I explained that I had actually set up a satellite disk in my garden and as I moved the receiver closer and closer to the correct angle that the signal strength increased visibly.  I asked how this was possible.  Again, very long poles was the explanation.  The location of this 'very long pole' is of course a mystery.

I have seen a thread where somebody posted a picture of dozens of satellite dishes in a Indonesian village close to the equator.  They were all pointing straight up.  Here the explanation was that they were not actually satellite dishes and that it was some kind of art exhibit.   Obviously the very long pole explanation would not work at the equator.

Fascinating.  The ones over at CI seem to based most (all?) of there opinion on the following:

NASA says nothing but lies.  NASA says the earth is round.  Therefore, the earth is not round.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:52:00 PM by dolores »

Offline dolores

• Korporal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
I think Matthew has a policy of allowing a certain few lunatics to stay occupied in a thread or two, and leave the rest of Cath Info alone. Care in the Community (a UK mental health policy where the disturbed were treated outside hospitals in residential settings but it ended up a way to close hospital more than anything)?

I also believe that to be the case.  For the record, the point of this thread was not to attack CI, or the people participating in the flat earth threads over there.  I was just curious if flat-earthers are real, or if those pushing it are just trolls.  Sounds like there are at least a few real ones.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:52:14 PM by dolores »

Offline Quaremerepulisti

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
Over at CI, there are several threads devoted to debating whether or not the earth is flat.  I have never encountered anyone is real life who honestly believes that the earth is flat; has anyone else?  I initially thought that these posters on CI were just trolls, but the threads go on for hundreds of pages.

You mean CI isn't the complete voice of reason and sanity?

Say it ain't so!!!
The real purpose of traditionalist polemics is not to find truth, but to attempt to construct an epistemological fortress rendering one's worldview impervious to attack.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Lynne, Chestertonian

Offline JubilateDeo

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
I have never met a single flat earther or geocentrist in real life. 

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »
You should get out more.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, LouisIX, Padraig

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »
You should get out more.

Do they get out? I've only found them on the internet, for example a Youtube body builder seems to believe it strongly, because the government lies and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:10:03 PM by Prayerful »
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema.

Galatians I, 4

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Offline moneil

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 07:24:48 PM »
I have never met a single flat earther or geocentrist in real life.

You should get out more.

Greg is correct, there is seemingly a vast population of "unscientific history denying loonies" on the planet  ;)

I do observe these types more on internet forums then in real life but then using a proper prudence I try to keep an appropriate custody of my eyes, mind, and soul regarding who I associate with.

I've never knowingly met a real "flat earther", I've suspect some acquaintances may be geocentric but we "don't go there" in conversation.  I do on occasion encounter in real life genuine neo Nazis (whom I wouldn't be surprised to find out are also "flat earthers" and / or "geocentrists"), but on such occasions I stick to whatever business caused us to meet, and quickly conclude that matter while avoiding any side topices

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, dymphna17

Offline John Lamb

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 01:22:16 AM »

I've not heard flat earthers say that satellites are long poles. I have heard them say that so-called satellite communications are in fact ground-based technologies. I think they say that if your receiver is pointing up to the sky, it is probably to receive signals that are being bounced off the inner-side of the "dome" that are being sent by a ground-based transmitter hundreds of miles away.
As many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. (John 1:12)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 01:44:25 AM »
It takes a special sort of stupid to believe in some things....
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: LouisIX, LausTibiChriste, Chestertonian, JubilateDeo

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 02:23:14 AM »
They don't believe it.  They are simply contrary.  They have no power or respect in the real world and therefore manufacture their own reality in order to justify why they live the life they do.

Some people go along to get along.

Flat Earthers, by nature, cannot get along, so they figure, what is the point of going along?  I can have self respect, if I turn the entire model on its head and pretend everyone around me cannot see the Emporer naked.  The problem, in this case, is that the Emperor is not naked.

This is true of most other conspiracy theorists too.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, moneil, Chestertonian, JubilateDeo, Carleendiane

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:29 AM »
The internet also manufacturers idiots. Before the internet, the number of people who still thought the Earth was flat was like 0.0001%. Now it has grown ten times. It allows wilful ignorance to be published.

Before the internet, you either had to be rich to self publish, or your work was scrutinized and verified before a publisher would accept it.

But today, any idiot can upload a video to YouTube, or run a blog, and be seen by others within minutes. The feeble minded, are far more susceptible to wishing to believe this hogwash today because with Google confirmation bias is much easier to fall into than with the Dewey Decimal System.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, LouisIX, Non Nobis, Lynne, Chestertonian, JubilateDeo, Carleendiane