When praying the Salve Regina/Hail Holy Queen

Started by Lynne, January 14, 2015, 05:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CamelliaSinensis

Quote from: Clare on January 17, 2015, 02:35:12 AM
Quote from: CamelliaSinensis on January 16, 2015, 10:52:47 PM
Quote from: Clare on January 15, 2015, 08:23:42 AM
Quote from: zork on January 14, 2015, 05:26:00 PM
I used to during the Major Elevation and during that part of the "Hail Holy Queen" prayer, but I stopped long ago when I realized those were incorrect and inappropriate. Now I just do so during the Confiteor and the Centurion's Declaration right before Communion.
How about at "Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us" x3?
When we do that prayer after the rosary and when the priest says Ecce Agnus Dei are the only times I strike my breast.
Not at the mea culpas and the Domine non sum dignus?
The Domine non sum dignus is what meant to say, not the Ecce Agnus Dei. I've only seen one guy do it at the mea culpas of the second confiteor, so I just never did it then. When I was a newbie, I did what everyone around me was doing. Sort of like making the sign of the cross with the priest at the prayers at the foot of the altar. I still don't know if we are supposed to do it, I just presumed because many people around me do it.

INPEFESS

I suppose I don't know if it is liturgical correct, but it makes sense to me to strike the breast during the elevation of the Precious Blood, because that is the liturgically symbolic moment that the propitiatory Sacrifice actually takes place, which is the moment that corresponds most with the entire purpose we attend the Sacrifice of the Mass: to receive propitiation for our sins by offering them to God through the offering of the priest in persona Christi. Would that be inappropriate?
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

Gardener

Quote from: INPEFESS on January 17, 2015, 11:09:21 PM
I suppose I don't know if it is liturgical correct, but it makes sense to me to strike the breast during the elevation of the Precious Blood, because that is the liturgically symbolic moment that the propitiatory Sacrifice actually takes place, which is the moment that corresponds most with the entire purpose we attend the Sacrifice of the Mass: to receive propitiation for our sins by offering them to God through the offering of the priest in persona Christi. Would that be inappropriate?

It would seem more proper to fix this intention at the offertory.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

zork

It doesn't say to do that in the 1945 St. Andrews Missal I have. Also, at Mass today (SSPX) there was a new rubrics card for liturgical responses. Striking the breast during the consecration was specifically discouraged. So don't do it, man, lol.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

aquinas138

Quote from: VeraeFidei on January 16, 2015, 08:34:02 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on January 16, 2015, 06:35:37 PM
when i was on a [wacky charosmatic] retreat early in my conversion i saw people making the sign off the cross during the glory be prayer and i thought that was the way all catholics did it then i realized out was not the case
Eastern Catholics and Orthodox usually make the Sign of the Cross at any invocation of the Holy Trinity, I think.

Yes, in the Byzantine rite, it is customary any time the three Persons of the Trinity are named. Some will do it any time "Holy Trinity" is said, or when "Theotokos" is said, in honor of the Incarnation. The Byzantine tradition is a bit more flexible than the Roman on gestures, generally speaking, but there are definitely times everyone does, such as the Trisagion. Whether it is accompanied by a bow or prostration is also flexible and varies considerably.

In the Coptic tradition, one is seemingly always crossing himself at the services - left to right, like the Roman fashion. Besides the names of the Divine Persons, collectively or individually, one also crosses himself perhaps hundreds of times during the Divine Liturgy - whenever we "give glory," "bless," "worship" or any form of reverence to God, when the priest says "the Lord be with you," at the beginning of the Lord's Prayer, at the Trisagion, when we say "Kyrie eleison" (many, many times in a Coptic service!), when we kiss an icon or relic, entering or exiting a Church, etc. There's never a wrong to time to cross yourself if you're a Copt!  :laugh:
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

INPEFESS

Quote from: zork on January 18, 2015, 02:25:54 PM

It doesn't say to do that in the 1945 St. Andrews Missal I have. Also, at Mass today (SSPX) there was a new rubrics card for liturgical responses. Striking the breast during the consecration was specifically discouraged. So don't do it, man, lol.

Hmm, that is interesting.
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

John Lamb

That's fine, I'll just do it with an open palm instead of a fist. Then the rigorists can't complain.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Pacebene83

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa————many gestures were made in the old days, traditional.  The nuns were very emphatic about certian gestures,  the pounding at the breast (heart) just emphasized the idea or ideas. At one time when you went to Benediction and the Eucharist was on display,,one knelt with both knees upon entering and leaving rather than the common genuflect.  Striking the breast with fist, or open hand is a gesture suggesting sincerity, standing, kneeling, sitting, bowing, certain kisses, sign of the cross.,  etc———do what is in your heart.

AMDG.