Dove Bar Tyranny

Started by Alphonsus Jr., April 09, 2013, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alphonsus Jr.

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on April 10, 2013, 05:19:36 AM
I don't want to see average models in a beauty ad anymore than I want to see average homes in a decorating magazine.

Exactly! Yet I do fear that today's militant mediocrity and concomitant proletarian miserablism is just getting started.
Age, thou art shamed.*
O shame, where is thy blush?**

-Shakespeare, Julius Caesar,* Hamlet**

erin is nice

Quote from: Alphonsus Jr. on April 10, 2013, 07:39:31 AM
Quote from: erin is nice on April 10, 2013, 05:41:17 AM
The Dove models aren't "fat".

I have seen some fatties among them. Very fat indeed. Notice: not "fat."

I don't think the word "fatties" is appropriate.

Bonaventure

Quote from: erin is nice on April 10, 2013, 09:22:54 AM

I think we know Alfie's preferences...

:laugh:
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

kayla_veronica

Who cares? Overweight and obese people exist, nothing to be scandalized over. :p
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

kayla_veronica

Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 10, 2013, 03:29:25 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on April 09, 2013, 09:53:44 PM
You think that's bad, you should see their beauty product ads.

I have, and I've concluded that their products make one fat and ugly.   :tongue:

Oh that's what it is.....darn soap.... ;D

Seriously though, they are trying to do is use more average looking women for their advertising to make a point. They all have very nice skin. I think it works.

Companies that try to make a point like this annoy me.  Just admit it -- you're selling a product.  Seems more honest to just be up front that you're selling a beauty product.  Don't try to sell size acceptance or what not.  I don't want to see average models in a beauty ad anymore than I want to see average homes in a decorating magazine.

You're right. We need more Victoria's Secret models in advertising. Not.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Alphonsus Jr. on April 09, 2013, 09:36:10 PM
The toxicity of this age really is unavoidable! Just now I finished a Dove bar. On the inside of the wrapper I was then greeted with the following Oprahism:

"Forget the rules and follow your heart."

I had a Dove Bar and the message said, "The Surest Steps Towards Happiness Are the Steps of the Church". That one must have slipped by the censors and proof readers.

This message is completely sinister because the Dove is sometimes used to symbolize the Holy Ghost.

But thanks for that warning. I am now going to open and examine every wrapper and not allow my children to be scandalized by such diabolical disorientation.

I think this current evil had its genesis in Bazooka Joe bubble gum, or maybe Dixie Riddle Cups. Must do more research.

Thanks for the tip.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

erin is nice

Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 10, 2013, 09:52:31 AM

This.  :lol:

LouisIX

They must have taught this in seminary to all of the pedophile priests.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 10, 2013, 09:52:31 AM
Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 10, 2013, 03:29:25 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on April 09, 2013, 09:53:44 PM
You think that's bad, you should see their beauty product ads.

I have, and I've concluded that their products make one fat and ugly.   :tongue:

Oh that's what it is.....darn soap.... ;D

Seriously though, they are trying to do is use more average looking women for their advertising to make a point. They all have very nice skin. I think it works.

Companies that try to make a point like this annoy me.  Just admit it -- you're selling a product.  Seems more honest to just be up front that you're selling a beauty product.  Don't try to sell size acceptance or what not.  I don't want to see average models in a beauty ad anymore than I want to see average homes in a decorating magazine.

Victoria's Secret models are immodest.  So are the Dove models, quite a lot of the time.  As far as their physicality, I don't have a problem with it.  People would get a lot further in life if they would simply understand that certain professions require certain body types and get over it if it isn't them.  As the shortest cousin in a family of basketball players, I learned that one early.   :tongue:

Now, I do understand that when you have an undergarment catalog, you need to have pictures of women in their unmentionables.  Okay, fine, but keep it out of the realm of the seductive.  It's immodest and just plain odd when sold to women.

Beauty products, on the other hand, don't require the underwear shots, so I don't get the photos of women in their underwear.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

piabee

I wouldn't consider deodorant and soap beauty products.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: piabee on April 10, 2013, 12:44:24 PM
I wouldn't consider deodorant and soap beauty products.

They grouped them together when I was in ad school.

erin is nice

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on April 10, 2013, 12:16:20 PM
Now, I do understand that when you have an undergarment catalog, you need to have pictures of women in their unmentionables.  Okay, fine, but keep it out of the realm of the seductive.  It's immodest and just plain odd when sold to women.

It's not really odd when you think about the purpose, which is to make women feel dissatisfied so they will spend a lot of money (on very poorly made underwear). It says "this is what you should look like, so spend spend spend".

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: erin is nice on April 10, 2013, 01:08:45 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on April 10, 2013, 12:16:20 PM

It's not really odd when you think about the purpose, which is to make women feel dissatisfied so they will spend a lot of money (on very poorly made underwear). It says "this is what you should look like, so spend spend spend".

They just look slutty.  And when they're giving those slutty looks to other women, it just gets creepy.

Alphonsus Jr.

Quote from: erin is nice on April 10, 2013, 09:22:54 AM

Yet I propose that it's more appropriate than ever to call fatties fatties. As today's Orwellian processing accelerates, it becomes ever more important to reject all linguistic sterilization by rigorously calling things what they are. Thus, for instance, I call sodomites sodomites. And I call fatties fatties. Charity of course demands that I don't say this to any particular fatty, but when speaking of fatties in general I'll continue to go ahead and call fatties fatties. Of course if I'm around a fatty I won't refer to other fatties as fatties. But if she asks me if she looks like a fatty and additionally says, "Don't lie for the sake of charity," I'll then answer by saying something like, "Alas, you do exhibit certain fatty tendencies."

Similarly:

1) An abortion (rather: surgical infanticide) isn't "had," "gotten," or "performed." It's inflicted, committed, perpetrated.

2) Surgical infanticide is inflicted, committed, and perpetrated not upon a mere fetus, but upon a fetal human.

3) Like Josef Mengele, those who inflict, commit, perpetrate surgical infanticide are no longer worthy of the name of doctors. Rather, let's call them surgical hitmen or surgical terrorists.

4) Nor are those who hire surgical hitmen/terrorists to be called victims. They're co-conspirators.

Putting it all together, we get something like this:

"Jane and Tom took out a contract on their baby's life by hiring a surgical hitman to commit infanticide."

Or:

"Shaquilla is considering hiring a hitman to perpetrate surgical infanticide."

The reverse is true as well. Things are rigorously not to be called what they're not. For example, sodomite "marriage." Notice the quotes, which serve to communicate the impossibility of any such thing, along with the bonus of providing a little stab of mockery at this absurdity. Notice also the refusal to a) morally neutralize the situation, and b) wage further war upon that most abused and formerly cheerful little word, gay. When speaking, by they way, the quotes are best supplied by the fingers, a slight furrowing of the brow, and a withering tone of voice.

Age, thou art shamed.*

Alphonsus Jr.

Quote from: Innocent Smith on April 10, 2013, 10:15:39 AM
The toxicity of this age really is unavoidable! Just now I finished a Dove bar. On the inside of the wrapper I was then greeted with the following Oprahism:

I had a Dove Bar and the message said, "The Surest Steps Towards Happiness Are the Steps of the Church". That one must have slipped by the censors and proof readers.

This message is completely sinister because the Dove is sometimes used to symbolize the Holy Ghost.

But thanks for that warning. I am now going to open and examine every wrapper and not allow my children to be scandalized by such diabolical disorientation.

I think this current evil had its genesis in Bazooka Joe bubble gum, or maybe Dixie Riddle Cups. Must do more research.

Thanks for the tip.

You're most welcome indeed. I salute you.
Age, thou art shamed.*