Unusual devotions

Started by Relicario, July 23, 2014, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relicario

What are some unusual devotions that you have encountered?
There is a statue of the Christ Child in Mexico called El Niño Dios Cieguito . The story says a thief broke into the church where the image was located and stole it along with other treasures. The statue supposedly came alive and the thief destroyed it. A few days later they found the broken statue and repaired it but they never found the eyes.

Gardener

The eyes are on the fan. Are they blind?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Relicario

Quote from: Gardener on July 23, 2014, 03:26:31 PM
The eyes are on the fan. Are they blind?
;D The image is very popular with those who suffer eye problems by the way.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Relicario on July 23, 2014, 03:18:18 PM
What are some unusual devotions that you have encountered?
There is a statue of the Christ Child in Mexico called El Niño Dios Cieguito . The story says a thief broke into the church where the image was located and stole it along with other treasures. The statue supposedly came alive and the thief destroyed it. A few days later they found the broken statue and repaired it but they never found the eyes.

That is seriously creepy looking
Almos mermaid ish
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Dom Passerini

what's with the big blonde wig?
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Relicario

Quote from: Dom Passerini on July 23, 2014, 09:39:57 PM
There is another image that has the Child with a black wig.

AugustineA

I don't trust some of these creepy things coming out of Mexico. Haven't a bunch of Mexicans started worshiping a Saint Death or something similar. Smells weird, wouldn't want any part of it.
He has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem. -Isaiah 61

Elizabeth

Quote from: Relicario on July 23, 2014, 10:32:04 PM
Quote from: Dom Passerini on July 23, 2014, 09:39:57 PM
There is another image that has the Child with a black wig.

It doesn't do anything for my poor eyes at all.

Arun

Quote from: AugustineA on July 24, 2014, 01:54:43 AM
I don't trust some of these creepy things coming out of Mexico. Haven't a bunch of Mexicans started worshiping a Saint Death or something similar. Smells weird, wouldn't want any part of it.

Santa muerte, it's connected mainly with the cartels and drug smugglers. i think there is a lot of Mexican Catholics who don't associate with it because of this, though. even in Lowrider Arte you tend to mainly see either Day of the Dead stuff or Our Lady but you don't really see santa muerte which suggests that maybe the Catholic culture is separated from it somewhat. that being said they do say popularity of the cult is growing.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Bernadette

That statue is really creepy. I'm glad we don't go in for weird stuff like that in the U.S.
My Lord and my God.

Relicario

The image of the Nino Dios Cieguito has been practiced since 1744. I'm surprised the bishops of the diocese have never said anything about it.

La santa muerte cult has been condemned by the Church. The sad thing is that people say the la Muerte is more powerful than the Blessed Virgin because she doesn't judge you.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Bernadette on July 24, 2014, 06:40:54 AM
That statue is really creepy. I'm glad we don't go in for weird stuff like that in the U.S.

Lol, such Anglo sensibilities.

(I agree.)

Bernadette

Quote from: The Harlequin King on July 24, 2014, 10:22:34 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on July 24, 2014, 06:40:54 AM

Lol, such Anglo sensibilities.

(I agree.)

If he had his eyes, OR if he were just holding tem without the blood running down his face, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
My Lord and my God.

AugustineA

Quote from: Arun on July 24, 2014, 04:45:54 AM

Santa muerte, it's connected mainly with the cartels and drug smugglers. i think there is a lot of Mexican Catholics who don't associate with it because of this, though. even in Lowrider Arte you tend to mainly see either Day of the Dead stuff or Our Lady but you don't really see santa muerte which suggests that maybe the Catholic culture is separated from it somewhat. that being said they do say popularity of the cult is growing.

Syncretism.. We're better off with it as it really is, a false and separate religion. It's sad that Catholics would fall for it.
He has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem. -Isaiah 61

angelcookie

It doesn't matter to me how old that devotion is, it's quite disturbing and the story even sounds like the people still applied magical thinking to objects- like the Santerias do- I think that's them or is it the voodooans? What's even stranger on a recent trip my family took, there was a toy marketed to youth now of a voodoo doll- it was in one of those arcade machines with the arm to catch a stuffed animal. I couldn't believe it! How evil!

I still don't support that Medjorje or however it's spelled, that devotion just irks me.

All I know is I was watching Fr Mitch Pacwa a few weeks ago and had to turn the tv off because they spoke about how the Mexican drug cartels are bringing back many pagan Aztec stuff along the lines of human sacrifice, including babies and children, as well as cannabalism. Scary stuff and made me want to vomit. Someone had called in asking how we can end the abortion of today? His answer was to continue to teach that it is wrong and show people the truth, and that is how the pagan Egyptians etc stopped doing their infanticide etc. (I didn't know the pagan Egyptians did this.)