The Divorce of Cup and Saucer

Started by Markus, August 14, 2019, 11:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

Quote from: Josephine87 on August 17, 2019, 09:05:53 PM
How is drinking tea from a cup and saucer a good Catholic custom? It all originated in pagan Asia and Protestant England. My medieval European Catholic ancestors weren't swilling tea and they didn't use saucers. I stand by my bourgeois comment. Marx wasn't wrong about everything.

In this case drinking coffee is evil too, since the moslems started this habit and it came to europe via the ottomans.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Markus

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 19, 2019, 09:55:10 PM
this article is gayer than Elton John dressed in drag impersonating Barbra Streisand

If you can call my article "gay", surely you won't be offended if I call you a marrano?

Chestertonian

Quote from: Markus on September 04, 2019, 12:15:13 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on August 19, 2019, 09:55:10 PM
this article is gayer than Elton John dressed in drag impersonating Barbra Streisand

If you can call my article "gay", surely you won't be offended if I call you a marrano?
I didn't call you gay, I called your piece of writing gay.  Specifically,gayer than Elton John dressed in drag impersonating Barbra Streisand. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Fleur-de-Lys

Only a marrano would attack a fundament of civilization such as fine china.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 04, 2019, 03:43:05 PM
well when i was growing up my mother did always tell me I was a bull in a china shop

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 04, 2019, 03:54:58 PM
well when i was growing up my mother did always tell me I was a bull in a china shop

Naturally, your mother could tell from the get-go the Jewish perfidy in you that Markus has now disclosed.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

mikemac

I got the same.   :)
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Chestertonian

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 04, 2019, 04:40:31 PM

Naturally, your mother could tell from the get-go the Jewish perfidy in you that Markus has now disclosed.

you'll be happy to know that she always brought out the fine China every Shabbat

2Towers

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 16, 2019, 04:50:39 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on August 15, 2019, 08:52:50 PM
- The gaiwan is Chinese.
- Japanese matcha tea is served in bowls, not cups.
- Japanese sencha tea, on the other hand, can be served in cups with saucers.

I have a traditional Japanese sencha set that I bought from Japan on ebay which came with matching cups and bronze saucers. Sencha cups don't always come with saucers, but these did.

Thank you.  My set would be for sencha tea, then.  It does have a slatted bamboo board on which the pot and cups are (presumably) placed, so the functional quality of a saucer at least is retained, even though there are no saucers.  Whether this is common or traditional to sencha tea sets, I do not know.

I should say that not all European tea sets are ugly.  My mother once received a Hungarian tea set as a gift, and it has very nice and intricate geometric patterns: crimson & gold on white.  My own cups and saucers are monochromatic, plain white.  Outside of a lobotomy, I don't think I could ever come to truly appreciate the floral designs on European sets.  I drink green tea throughout the day, but in the evening after dinner I like to drink Earl Grey or chai tea.  Chai is probably my favorite tea.  I make it with a 1:1 ratio of chai tea to vanilla soy milk.  The Indian subcontinent is the source of most of my gustatory pleasures.
Your tastes brought to my mind a tea I thought you might like, Prince of Wales, made by Twinings.  You may have heard of it.  It is a black tea, but the flavor is subtle.
The Kingdom of hope, knows no winter.
-Daniel SG-1

Mono no aware

Quote from: 2Towers on September 07, 2019, 11:27:16 PMYour tastes brought to my mind a tea I thought you might like, Prince of Wales, made by Twinings.  You may have heard of it.  It is a black tea, but the flavor is subtle.

Gracias for the recommendation.  I have never had that, but Twinings has an Irish Breakfast blend that I like, so perhaps I'll try their Prince of Wales.

Bernadette

Quote from: Pon de Replay on September 08, 2019, 05:51:20 AM
Quote from: 2Towers on September 07, 2019, 11:27:16 PMYour tastes brought to my mind a tea I thought you might like, Prince of Wales, made by Twinings.  You may have heard of it.  It is a black tea, but the flavor is subtle.

Gracias for the recommendation.  I have never had that, but Twinings has an Irish Breakfast blend that I like, so perhaps I'll try their Prince of Wales.

Their Irish Breakfast tea was the only tea I would drink for years. It's superb.
My Lord and my God.