Dog ruined Rosary

Started by Heinrich, October 14, 2020, 05:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

I left a Rosary out on the coffee table overnight. One of my dogs got ahold of it and pretty much ruined it. Since I have had it(bought it in an antique shop in Salida, CO), I don't think I had it blessed. What should I do with the pieces? Thanks.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Fleur-de-Lys

I believe the custom is to burn or bury blessed items. Even if the rosary wasn't blessed, I'd still bury the pieces rather than just throw them away.

Daniel

If you bought it from an antique shop, I'd be careful. The previous owner might have had it blessed.

Quote from: Heinrich on October 14, 2020, 05:07:48 PM
What should I do with the pieces?

If the pieces are in good condition, maybe make them into a rosary. (Or sell/give them to somebody who makes rosaries)

Apart from that, I think Fleur-de-Lys is right... but I am not sure how that would work for something that's made out of non-burnable material. Do you just bury it without burning it?

mikemac

Bury it and burn the dog.  Or visa versa.

Just joking.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Heinrich

Quote from: Daniel on October 14, 2020, 06:30:44 PM
If you bought it from an antique shop, I'd be careful. The previous owner might have had it blessed.

Why should I be careful if the previous owner had it blessed? The efficacy of blessing stays with the intending owner and died with him. There must be an appropriate description for this which I (attempt) to speak of. Michael Wilson, you got your ears on, good buddy?

As a personal anecdote with this particular Rosary, a most charming wink from Heaven came with it: in 2017, while in Europe, said Rosary had been the de rigueur accompaniment for a weeks, but then frustratingly became knotted. Really balled up it was. To no avail no straightening attempts were successful. I used the first ten beads as repetitious counters since that was the only linear element of it. Alas, in the Cathedral of Our Lady in Munich(die Frauenkirche), it came undone as soon as I pulled it out of my pocket.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Acolyte

I'd just bury it. If the crucifix is intact, it can be worn with a chain or reused on another rosary.

You could leave the crucifix at your church next time you go to Mass. 
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Greg

At least you know the dog is 'on the team' .
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Daniel

Quote from: Heinrich on October 14, 2020, 07:42:38 PM
Why should I be careful if the previous owner had it blessed? The efficacy of blessing stays with the intending owner and died with him.

Well I'm not sure, but I don't think it works that way. I've always been under the impression that as long as nobody burns the item, desecrates the item, or attempts to buy or sell the blessing, the blessing will remain upon the item as it moves from owner to owner.

paul14

Quote from: Greg on October 14, 2020, 09:59:02 PM
At least you know the dog is 'on the team' .

Perhaps it's a traditional catholic version of 'The dog ate my homework'.

Greg

Rename your hound "The Dogma of the Faith"
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Prayerful

Is it comparable to the cat peeing on a box where I have a spare missal or two and related things?
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

mikemac

Quote from: Daniel on October 15, 2020, 04:53:00 AM
Why should I be careful if the previous owner had it blessed? The efficacy of blessing stays with the intending owner and died with him.

Well I'm not sure, but I don't think it works that way. I've always been under the impression that as long as nobody burns the item, desecrates the item, or attempts to buy or sell the blessing, the blessing will remain upon the item as it moves from owner to owner.

That's what I thought too.  I have been using my mother's Rosary for years.  I don't remember ever getting it re-blessed.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Heinrich

Quote from: mikemac on October 15, 2020, 10:12:00 PM
Quote from: Daniel on October 15, 2020, 04:53:00 AM

That's what I thought too.  I have been using my mother's Rosary for years.  I don't remember ever getting it re-blessed.

I have it from a very good and knowledgeable source(layman) that the blessing leaves with the original querier for a blessing.

TheReturnofLive

I think we have definitive proof that the dog is a Zionist banker.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Acolyte

He certainly isn't Dominican 😃
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III