Dog breeds for family

Started by Jayne, April 27, 2017, 06:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

I see my prediction is working out to be true. lol.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Jayne

Quote from: Lynne on April 27, 2017, 10:24:31 AM
And there are 2 big issues; do you want a puppy or an older dog? And do you want a purebred (i.e. from a breeder) or a rescue dog which will probably be a mix.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these features? 

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: Gardener on April 27, 2017, 10:57:40 AM

I am finding just about all the comments helpful other than yours.

Lynne

Quote from: Jayne on April 27, 2017, 11:01:06 AM
Quote from: Lynne on April 27, 2017, 10:24:31 AM
And there are 2 big issues; do you want a puppy or an older dog? And do you want a purebred (i.e. from a breeder) or a rescue dog which will probably be a mix.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these features?

Just speaking for myself and my family, I wanted a purebred because, being new to dogs (I did not grow up with one), I wanted to pick and choose, to a certain extent, which traits I wanted in a dog. A Malamute would be a bad choice for someone not familiar with dogs because it is a dominant bred and may try to be the leader of the pack. Labs, golden retrievers are easier for first-time dog owners because they like to please. Rescue dogs are usually a mix of different breeds.

I wanted a puppy because I wanted to make sure that the dog did not have an unfortunate history. If a dog was mis-treated and you adopt the dog, he may have certain reactions to something that happens in the household, a trigger so to speak. Our daughter was 4 and a half when we got our corgi. We made sure that the puppy and our daughter respected each other as they grew up.

Owning a dog is a big commitment, annual vet visits, special equipment (a crate for at least the first few months), toys, leashes, grooming visits. It is kind of like getting a kid. Will you need to board the dog if you go away? Dog training classes.

I'm getting tired just writing all that. My husband would love to get another dog but they are a certain amount of work that I just can't get excited about at this point in my life.

But(!) they are a lot of fun and a good companion.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Armor of Light on April 27, 2017, 08:04:29 AM
Collie. Regular sized, not the small ones!

Amen.  Ah I love standard collies.  But not good for your situation Jayne, unless you are ok with a lot of barking, which doesn't bother our family, and lots of grooming. 
As Gardener noted, you'll get everyone's preference, but it's based on each one's experience and that's very valuable.  For example, I echo the sentiment about Boston terriers.  They are great for some folk but wouldn't work in our family.

Maybe you could drill down a little re: your preferences? 
As Lynne mentioned, do you prefer a puppy or are you open to an older dog?  Both have advantages. 
Is low maintenance important?  If so, grooming / shedding has to be taken into account.   
Also, smell.  Retrievers are the best!!!  but they have a special scent to them.
Another thing, you're very intelligent.  You'd enjoy a dog of high intelligence, imho. 
And if it's too low energy, walking with your father and playing with the grandchildren will be a little stunted.

All tolled, I'd recommend a dog like a standard (large) or miniature poodle (but NOT a toy poodle).
This breed is super intelligent (in the top 3 of breeds), very eager to please, easy to train and fun.  They are considered one of the best hypoallergenic breeds, and shedding is close to nil. Also  great with kids (except toy poodles).  If you're not prissy about taking it to the dog beauty salon for poodle cuts, you can just groom at home. 
You'd think I'd owned one, right?  But no.  I've worked with so many different breeds and this one is just such a good family dog.   But there are others!

Another important factor is cost.  Since you're in Canada, I know for certain that $$$ is outrageous, whether the dog is pedigree or even a cross breed.  May I suggest the following:

1. Animal shelters  - call around for dog / age you desire.  If not available, ask if they can call you when a dog arrives that meets your requirements.  I've found them to be fastidious about re-homing and they will appreciate your care in selecting properly.

2.  Search Kijiji each day (for US readers, that's Canadian Craigslist) with "free dog" keywords.  People give up good pets due to divorce, allergies and moving.

3.  If you decide on a particular breed and prefer a pedigree, contact reputable breeders to see if they may be re-homing their champions.  Some kennels "retire" their dogs at around 6 or 7 and will give them to a good home.  I have a neighbor who adopted a spectacular male collie with Best in Show awards this way.

4.  Breed rescue groups - you can often view their adoptable animals on their websites, like SPIN (canadian)  http://www.standardpoodlesinneed.com/dogs-for-adoption.html

To sum up, think through what would be best for ya'll.  Then start researching with key words pertaining to your needs. The process of finding the right dog and subsequent adoption is fun!  Keep it happy and anticipatory.  Mr./Mrs. Right is waiting for you with wagging tail and unconditional love.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Bernadette

I've always let my dogs sleep in my bed. My sister has hers crate-trained, since he stays alone during the workday. I don't often feed people food to my pets; my sister's husband gave their chihuahua some of whatever he happened to be eating. It's a spectrum, like with anything else.  :shrug: I think it's important to have a lot of self-knowledge before picking a dog. I know that I have more success with calm dogs, than with hyper, "needy," pushy ones. Probably due to my own temperament. I'm easily overwhelmed by too much activity all at once. If I were to get another dog, I'd make sure it was calm enough to be able to go and lie down somewhere for an hour or so, without needing constant interaction with me.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on April 27, 2017, 11:31:35 AM
Quote from: Armor of Light on April 27, 2017, 08:04:29 AM
Collie. Regular sized, not the small ones!

Amen.  Ah I love standard collies.  But not good for your situation Jayne, unless you are ok with a lot of barking, which doesn't bother our family, and lots of grooming. 
As Gardener noted, you'll get everyone's preference, but it's based on each one's experience and that's very valuable.  For example, I echo the sentiment about Boston terriers.  They are great for some folk but wouldn't work in our family.

Maybe you could drill down a little re: your preferences? 
As Lynne mentioned, do you prefer a puppy or are you open to an older dog?  Both have advantages. 
Is low maintenance important?  If so, grooming / shedding has to be taken into account.   
Also, smell.  Retrievers are the best!!!  but they have a special scent to them.
Another thing, you're very intelligent.  You'd enjoy a dog of high intelligence, imho. 
And if it's too low energy, walking with your father and playing with the grandchildren will be a little stunted.

All tolled, I'd recommend a dog like a standard (large) or miniature poodle (but NOT a toy poodle).
This breed is super intelligent (in the top 3 of breeds), very eager to please, easy to train and fun.  They are considered one of the best hypoallergenic breeds, and shedding is close to nil. Also  great with kids (except toy poodles).  If you're not prissy about taking it to the dog beauty salon for poodle cuts, you can just groom at home. 
You'd think I'd owned one, right?  But no.  I've worked with so many different breeds and this one is just such a good family dog.   But there are others!

Another important factor is cost.  Since you're in Canada, I know for certain that $$$ is outrageous, whether the dog is pedigree or even a cross breed.  May I suggest the following:

1. Animal shelters  - call around for dog / age you desire.  If not available, ask if they can call you when a dog arrives that meets your requirements.  I've found them to be fastidious about re-homing and they will appreciate your care in selecting properly.

2.  Search Kijiji each day (for US readers, that's Canadian Craigslist) with "free dog" keywords.  People give up good pets due to divorce, allergies and moving.

3.  If you decide on a particular breed and prefer a pedigree, contact reputable breeders to see if they may be re-homing their champions.  Some kennels "retire" their dogs at around 6 or 7 and will give them to a good home.  I have a neighbor who adopted a spectacular male collie with Best in Show awards this way.

4.  Breed rescue groups - you can often view their adoptable animals on their websites, like SPIN (canadian)  http://www.standardpoodlesinneed.com/dogs-for-adoption.html

To sum up, think through what would be best for ya'll.  Then start researching with key words pertaining to your needs. The process of finding the right dog and subsequent adoption is fun!  Keep it happy and anticipatory.  Mr./Mrs. Right is waiting for you with wagging tail and unconditional love.

All excellent points. I've heard very good things about poodles (and he/she doesn't have to get that frou-frou hair cut!)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Obrien

Labrador retrievers, golden retrievers or collie. Though I will say this make sure they have lots of exposure to your grandchildren. Though they may know your grandchildren they need to be completely adjusted to them to avoid a nip or two. In fact, I would suggest allowing the puppy to live with them (the grandchildren) during his first few months to get use to grandchild antics!

Gardener

Quote from: Jayne on April 27, 2017, 11:02:35 AM

This thread is filled with disparate breeds.

The solution to getting out and walking is getting out and walking, not adding an entire creature to a family's responsibility and money output.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Bernadette

Only Jayne knows for sure whether adding a dog to her family dynamic is a good decision. I would say yes, based on what I know of her situation.  :shrug:

And sometimes, people need a little extra incentive to get them to do what's best for them. Nothing wrong with that.
My Lord and my God.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Gardener on April 27, 2017, 12:02:46 PM

The solution to getting out and walking is getting out and walking, not adding an entire creature to a family's responsibility and money output.

But Jayne's father could also use a dog. There are too many things that a dog could help for them to not do it.

I never had a dog as a kid(long story), but I always wanted a golden retriever. I've never met one that I didn't like, either, so I third(or fourth?) golden retrievers for you and your family, Jayne.

Jayne

I appreciate all the posters who are responding to my question.  They are doing just what I expected and wanted.  I am not sure why you think it necessary to express your opinion of this thread.  It does not seem fair to be making critical comments in response to the good-willed people who are helping me.

Chestertonian

I would agree motuvation has to come within.. If you want a dog you should get one because you genuinely want to add a pet to the family
If he's not motivated to get in shape you may end up being the one to do all the walks
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Non Nobis

I use will-power (what there is of it) to walk and own a cat.  (Uh oh, am I getting myself and my cat into trouble here?)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

Quote from: Jayne on April 27, 2017, 12:32:01 PM

I appreciate all the posters who are responding to my question.  They are doing just what I expected and wanted.  I am not sure why you think it necessary to express your opinion of this thread.  It does not seem fair to be making critical comments in response to the good-willed people who are helping me.

Because they're not helping you, they're just providing suggestions -- their disparity in suggestions is proof positive they're not helpful precisely because a corgi != a golden retriever, etc. I see this a lot with dog and vehicle suggestions.

I'd recommend that if you truly want to add an animal to your domestic dynamic you speak with the local shelter; they will be able to get a good handle on your family dynamic and suggest a viable breed. They see dogs all the time where breed consideration was based on bad suggestions or bad decisions and the animal gets given up. They'll want to tailor the suggestions to what actually works, rather than live vicariously through you.