Any good books or resources on integralism? (Doctrine on Catholic States)

Started by trentcath, April 17, 2020, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: trentcath on May 09, 2020, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: Geremia on May 08, 2020, 11:53:49 AM
Fr. Fahey's books are the best on the Social Kingship of Christ.
Fr. Fahey and Abp. Lefebvre, both Holy Ghost Fathers, both studied under the great seminary professor Fr. Le Floch (who was later removed, like Cdl. Billot, during the Pius XI Action Française "purge"...).

cf. Fr. Crean, O.P.'s article critical of Vatican II's Dignitatis Humanæ

Isn't Fr Fahey also the EENS one or am I getting confused?
Feeney

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: trentcath on May 09, 2020, 02:43:29 PM
Quote from: rosenley on May 08, 2020, 07:40:14 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 08, 2020, 05:11:02 PM

Fimister or Crean?

Alan Fimister. Here is a link to the article: https://catholicherald.co.uk/why-racism-is-a-heresy/

If I recall, Fimister is against the death penalty too. Regardless, I've heard nothing but good things about this new book. It contains a lot of information on the Church's role in public life.

Thanks for answering, I was distracted aha.

I have also heard good things about the book, but the level of idiocy it takes to elevate racism to a heresy makes me worry about its soundness. Oftentimes, a thing may have hidden flaw or issues that we don't realise until its too late, the "equality" rubbish in the modern age is a good example. Still, I'll consider getting it when the, much reduced in price, paperback edition is out.
I think his definition of racism dictates the accuracy of the heresy claim - however, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with him, only if he narrowed the definition of racism, though.  I think his definition of racism is too broad.  Given that he wrote for the UK audience, though, I don't blame him.

Everything else I've seen by or heard from him is pretty good, though. 

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

trentcath

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 09, 2020, 02:53:13 PM
Quote from: trentcath on May 09, 2020, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: Geremia on May 08, 2020, 11:53:49 AM
Fr. Fahey's books are the best on the Social Kingship of Christ.
Fr. Fahey and Abp. Lefebvre, both Holy Ghost Fathers, both studied under the great seminary professor Fr. Le Floch (who was later removed, like Cdl. Billot, during the Pius XI Action Française "purge"...).

cf. Fr. Crean, O.P.'s article critical of Vatican II's Dignitatis Humanæ

Isn't Fr Fahey also the EENS one or am I getting confused?
Feeney

My bad. I'll definitely take a look at his stuff though.

trentcath

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 09, 2020, 02:56:31 PM
Quote from: trentcath on May 09, 2020, 02:43:29 PM
Quote from: rosenley on May 08, 2020, 07:40:14 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 08, 2020, 05:11:02 PM

Fimister or Crean?

Alan Fimister. Here is a link to the article: https://catholicherald.co.uk/why-racism-is-a-heresy/

If I recall, Fimister is against the death penalty too. Regardless, I've heard nothing but good things about this new book. It contains a lot of information on the Church's role in public life.

Thanks for answering, I was distracted aha.

I have also heard good things about the book, but the level of idiocy it takes to elevate racism to a heresy makes me worry about its soundness. Oftentimes, a thing may have hidden flaw or issues that we don't realise until its too late, the "equality" rubbish in the modern age is a good example. Still, I'll consider getting it when the, much reduced in price, paperback edition is out.
I think his definition of racism dictates the accuracy of the heresy claim - however, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with him, only if he narrowed the definition of racism, though.  I think his definition of racism is too broad.  Given that he wrote for the UK audience, though, I don't blame him.

Everything else I've seen by or heard from him is pretty good, though. 

Well, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then  :laugh: I see no world in which claiming there is infallible teaching on racism by the Church is backed up by reality, hence why I disagree so vehemently with his claim. I also think its a concession to the modern world, "Yes, we believe only the Catholic religion should be promoted and protected by the State but, look, we aren't racist and all racists will burn in hell"  ::)

AidanK

Quote from: trentcath on April 17, 2020, 10:25:00 AM
I've long struggled with why the majority of my conservative views are based on Protestant conservative authors, or American catholic's setting out a view which is broadly compatible with the enlightenment, and wondered if there was a purely catholic alternative. Recently I've come across integralism, which is allegedly based on the traditional teachings of the church, in particular the kingship of Christ, Leo XIII'S encyclicals etc... I'm aware of Fr Cahill's work, framework of the Catholic state, and I was recommended this book by Thomas Crean and Alan Fimister
https://www.amazon.ca/Integralism-Thomas-Crean-ebook/dp/B086WNJLBL but as one of the co-authors claims racism is a heresy I am not keen to read it. Consequently I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternative books or resources? I know about Chris Ferraras  work as well as this book by Brian McCall https://www.amazon.ca/Build-City-God-Catholics-Secular/dp/1621380734 but would be keen for any other books, comments if anyone has read those books etc...

I also realise given how crazy the world currently is looking at how a Christian state should be governed is bit like thinking about the number of angels that could fit on the head of a pin, but, I am an academic after all  :laugh:
I strongly recommend you read up on the social theory of Distributism much written about by GK Chesterton, Hilaire Belloc et al

truly-a-philosofan

I have just learned about a certain booklet called Politics and Government: Catholic Principles by Cardinal Verdier, Archbishop of Paris. Unfortunately, I do not have a physical copy or a pdf copy.
Christ as the Source of all beauty:
« What surprised him (Blessed Henry Suso) most was to see Eternal Wisdom now under the aspect of a young maiden, the prodigy of heavenly and earthly beauty; now under the form of a young man whose countenance reflected all the beauties to be found on earth. »
St. Louis de Monfort, The Love of Eternal Wisdom, Chapter 11, no. 132.

trentcath

Quote from: truly-a-philosofan on August 04, 2020, 12:03:24 PM
I have just learned about a certain booklet called Politics and Government: Catholic Principles by Cardinal Verdier, Archbishop of Paris. Unfortunately, I do not have a physical copy or a pdf copy.

Thanks!

I'm currently reading "Why Liberalism Failed" which, if not completely catholic, is very good so far!

Geremia

Quote from: trentcath on April 17, 2020, 10:25:00 AMone of the co-authors claims racism is a heresy I am not keen to read it.
Racism falls under violations of the 5th commandment. "Racis*" doesn't appear anywhere in Integralism: A Manual of Poilitical Philosophy, which is a fairly good overview of Catholic political theory. It's a bit unnecessarily verbose at times, but very good sources are cited and quoted (Grenier, Ottaviani, anti-Liberal popes, St. Thomas, St. Robert Bellarmine, et al.), although here and there some post Vatican II documents are quoted.

trentcath

Quote from: Geremia on October 20, 2020, 03:34:00 PM
Quote from: trentcath on April 17, 2020, 10:25:00 AMone of the co-authors claims racism is a heresy I am not keen to read it.
Racism falls under violations of the 5th commandment. "Racis*" doesn't appear anywhere in Integralism: A Manual of Poilitical Philosophy, which is a fairly good overview of Catholic political theory. It's a bit unnecessarily verbose at times, but very good sources are cited and quoted (Grenier, Ottaviani, anti-Liberal popes, St. Thomas, St. Robert Bellarmine, et al.), although here and there some post Vatican II documents are quoted.

Well, that's good to hear. I will buy it then!

Not sure how racism would fall under the 5th commandment mind...

Geremia

Quote from: trentcath on October 21, 2020, 01:02:35 PMNot sure how racism would fall under the 5th commandment mind...
Racism is s a sin of hatred.

Sin of Adam

Lumen ad revelationem gentium: et gloriam plebes tuae Israel.

Geremia

Quote from: Sin of Adam on October 22, 2020, 03:52:58 PMDefine "racism."
Racism is the hatred of other races.

This is very different from the definition of the Modernist Novus Ordo Catechism:
Quote[Racism is the] Unjust discrimination on the basis of a person's race; a violation of human dignity, and a sin against justice

Justin Martyr

Quote from: Geremia on October 22, 2020, 03:57:46 PM

This is very different from the definition of the Modernist Novus Ordo Catechism:
Quote[Racism is the] Unjust discrimination on the basis of a person's race; a violation of human dignity, and a sin against justice

I find it funny how it said both Unjust discrimination and sin against justice in the same sentence. Its just clunky and redundant. And I still don't know what the heck "human dignity" is supposed to mean (atleast based on how modernists use it). Seems to mean whatever someone wants it to in the moment so they can twist established doctrine like a pretzel.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Sin of Adam

Quote from: Geremia on October 22, 2020, 03:57:46 PM

Well said.
Lumen ad revelationem gentium: et gloriam plebes tuae Israel.

Geremia

Quote from: Justin Martyr on October 22, 2020, 05:52:54 PMI still don't know what the heck "human dignity" is supposed to mean (atleast based on how modernists use it).
Being created in God's image and likeness?