The Church Courtyard > General Catholic Discussion

Australian priest bites off fellow priest's ear

(1/5) > >>

Bonaventure:
Australian Priest, 80, Bites off Fellow Clergyman’s Ear in Parking Row

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/427026/20130123/australia-priest-ear-bite-perth-byrne.htm

By UMBERTO BACCHI
January 23, 2013 1:30 PM GMT

An 80-year-old former Australian Catholic priest is to plead guilty to assault after he bit off a fellow clergyman's ear during a row over a parking spot.

Thomas Byrne appeared before Perth magistrates court where his lawyer, Seamus Rafferty, told the judge that his client would plead guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm.

Rafferty was given an adjournment to seek more information in the case, the West Australian reported.

In November, Byrne attacked his neighbour, Fr Thomas Smith, 81, at their retirement home in the Perth suburb of Dianella, when a row broke out over a parking space.

After they calmed down, Byrne reportedly told Smith to pick up something he had lost during the brief scuffle. That something turned out to be a part of Smith's ear, the court heard, but he did not realise that until he got back to his room and took the object out of his pocket.

Mithrandylan:

--- Quote ---That something turned out to be a part of Smith's ear, the court heard, but he did not realise that until he got back to his room and took the object out of his pocket.
--- End quote ---

These are some old priests.  Guessing they're "real" priests, Philly?

tmw89:
Has to be going on the tombstone:  Fr. Thomas "Mike Tyson" Byrne.

Also:

--- Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 05:50:16 PM ---These are some old priests.  Guessing they're "real" priests, Philly?
--- End quote ---

Kind of odd to bring that up in this thread!  It's like seeing a car accident, and realizing the cars involved are both Mercedes  ;D

(or maybe more apt:  that the cars which crashed are, in fact, cars, and not rickshaws  :P )

Mithrandylan:

--- Quote from: tmw89 on January 23, 2013, 06:11:26 PM ---Has to be going on the tombstone:  Fr. Thomas "Mike Tyson" Byrne.

Also:

--- Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 05:50:16 PM ---These are some old priests.  Guessing they're "real" priests, Philly?
--- End quote ---

Kind of odd to bring that up in this thread!  It's like seeing a car accident, and realizing the cars involved are both Mercedes  ;D

(or maybe more apt:  that the cars which crashed are, in fact, cars, and not rickshaws  :P )

--- End quote ---

I was born to make observations.  I'd be a detective in another life.  First thing I ever said (to the doc in the delivery room with his hands on my bum) "give it another month or two and those calluses will be gone and you'll be glad you started taking those classical guitar lessons, yes I see the Santana CD on the other side of the room."

Mithrandylan:
Additionally, I see you refer to him as "Fr..." on his tombstone, so I think my question is answered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version