The Church Courtyard > General Catholic Discussion

The Holy Face Of Jesus | Pope Leo XIII

(1/2) > >>

Frank:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7dJ77U4uI
This video is of particular interest to me as I have just finished reading Ian Wilson's latest book on THE SHROUD. The commentator of the video seems to be unaware that the radioactive dating methods were flawed - possibly unintentionally - though from my experience of the scientific research world I would find them guilty until proved innocent.  ;D

Prayerful:
The conventual and parish church attached to a local Passionist Retreat has a very fine, if somewhat grimy, Holy Face image. The St Maria Goretti statue was repainted, perhaps they could look at it.

Aulef:
This book mentioned by the OP, althought written by a protestant, is a must read by those who are interested in this great relic.

TradGranny:

--- Quote from: Frank on October 09, 2021, 01:19:13 PM ---//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7dJ77U4uI
This video is of particular interest to me as I have just finished reading Ian Wilson's latest book on THE SHROUD. The commentator of the video seems to be unaware that the radioactive dating methods were flawed - possibly unintentionally - though from my experience of the scientific research world I would find them guilty until proved innocent.  ;D

--- End quote ---

The primary problem with the carbon dating is that they took a sample that was not a part of the Shroud itself.

A new, peer reviewed scientific paper by Raymond N. Rogers, retired Fellow of
the  Los  Alamos  National  Laboratory  w as  published  on  January  20,  2005,  in  the  latest  issue  of  the  journal  Thermochimica  Acta,  Volume  425,  Issues  1 -2,  Pages  189-194.

Titled  "Studies  on  the  radiocarbon  sample  from  the  Shroud  of  Turin".    The  paper concludes,  "As  unlikely  as  it  seems,  the  sample  used  to  test  the  age  of  the  Shroud  of Turin in 1988 was taken from a rewoven area of the Shroud. Pyrolysis-mass spectrometry results from the sample area coupled with microscopic and microchemical observations prove that the radiocarbon sample was not part of the original cloth of the Shroud of Turin. The radiocarbon date was thus not valid for determining the true age of the Shroud." 

In a press release earlier this week, Rogers stated, "The radiocarbon sample has
completely  different  chemical  properties  than  the  main  part  of  the  Shroud  relic.  The sample  tested  was  dyed  using  technology  that  began  to  appear  in  Italy  about  the  time  the Crusaders' last bastion fell to the Turks in AD 1291. The radiocarbon sample cannot be  older  than  about  AD  1290,  agreeing  w ith  the  age  determined  (for  the  sample)  in 1988. However, the Shroud itself is actually much older."

see more here:
https://www.shroud.com/pdfs/n61part6.pdf

TradGranny:
The veil of Veronica is a good image of the Holy Face of Jesus.
I am unable to paste image. Here's the link.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=veil+of+veronica&t=newext&atb=v242-1&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ancient-origins.net%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Flarge%2Fpublic%2FThe-Veil-of-Veronica.jpg%3Fitok%3Dcdg84qfW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version