The Church Courtyard > General Catholic Discussion

The Inquisition is a Good Thing

(1/12) > >>

Insanis:
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith used to be called Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition.

Current situations aside, and any particular use of the word in other circumstances, this is a good thing. Inquiring into propositions, people, teachers, claims, etc, to discern their orthodoxy and to root out heresy and blasphemies are good goals.

It can be easy to be influenced by negative impressions about some scary "Inquisition", usually, as a result of anti-Spanish English propaganda being repeated from the past, but the idea that people should live their own private lives, accepting novelties, and spreading them is a hateful thing to the true faith. Why should every single Catholic have to constantly be on their guard for such things? Imagine the best saints who weren't the best educated, and their faith. How could that faith be if they were constantly bombarded with heresies from "smarter" people?

Of course, we don't live in a small Catholic village in Europe, so we have to adapt to the circumstances: if we engage with others, we need a higher level of education at least to understand that heresies are in fact heresies.

It is almost a Holy Paranoia: to be suspicious of things that seem to be unsound and to ensure that one is not being misled.

The faith is simple. One doesn't need literacy or an education other than a basic understanding of the Creed of what we believe, and an appreciation of one's responsibilities in one's life.

But simple needs aside, if we confront the complexities of the world, we need to be prepared.

--- Quote from: Matthew 10:16 ---Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves."

--- End quote ---

This was for the Church specifically, not necessary individuals, but the advice is sound: we need to be on guard.

And not just for Vatican II and politicians: apparent infiltrators who want the "identity" of something without being that something.

And beware of those who resist the idea that there is a need for this!

Insanis:
I'll wait for results and re-evaluate.

Vetus Ordo:

--- Quote from: Insanis on June 09, 2021, 01:50:53 PM ---Current situations aside, and any particular use of the word in other circumstances, this is a good thing. Inquiring into propositions, people, teachers, claims, etc, to discern their orthodoxy and to root out heresy and blasphemies are good goals.
--- End quote ---

Inquisition as the duly installed ecclesiastical tribunal with jurisdiction to investigate and root out certain heresies that are affecting a population or a country, or the main ecclesiastical organ that regulates questions of doctrine in the Church, yes.

Inquisition as the illusion of authority of self-appointed laymen on the internet that single out people for questioning and think that they have the duty to cleanse forums of heresy is not. It's just pathetic and toxic.

Insanis:
People who have forums have a duty to maintain it, otherwise, it gets overrun with trolls, spammers, etc.

Your idea that everything is up for debate and any attempt to stifle it is somehow wrong, when you yourself are very critical of others, and even Church doctrines and teachings, is a bit strange.

And when someone makes a public comment that seems influenced by error, we can inquire further about it.

--- Quote ---Inquisition as the illusion of authority of self-appointed laymen on the internet that single out people for questioning and think that they have the duty to cleanse forums of heresy is not. It's just pathetic and toxic.
--- End quote ---

Self appointed? The admin runs the forum. The rest of us are just regular accounts.

It isn't a duty. It is "knowing the background of what I get in my new replies".

On this forum particularly there are a lot of weird things that I never expected. Others see it too.

Cleaning the forum of these issues will make it better for Catholics to interact.

It isn't just me.

And we all have a duty to be on our guard against errors.

DigitalLogos:

--- Quote from: Insanis on June 09, 2021, 03:07:54 PM ---People who have forums have a duty to maintain it, otherwise, it gets overrun with trolls, spammers, etc.

--- End quote ---

As I've noted before, the frequency of your posts would qualify as a spammer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version