The Church Courtyard > General Catholic Discussion

Forum Views on Saint Thomas Aquinas

(1/10) > >>

Insanis:
Would you ever argue against the theology taught by Saint Thomas Aquinas?

What are your views on his works?

truly-a-philosofan:
I just want to put out this relevant passage from Denzinger no. 2192:
--- Quote --- Naturally among lovers of St. Thomas, such as all the sons of the Church who are concerned with the highest studies should be, We desire that there exist that honorable rivalry with just freedom from which studies make progress, but no detraction which is not favorable to truth
and which serves only to break the bonds of charity. Therefore, let what­ ever is prescribed in the Code of Canon Law be sacred to each one of them, that "the professors may carry on the study of rational philosophy and of theology and the instruction of their students in these disciplines according to the method, doctrines, and principles of the Angelic Doc­tor, and may hold them sacred," and that all so conduct themselves ac­cording to this norm as to be truly able to call him that master. "But let not some exact from others anything more than this which the Church, the mistress and mother of all demands of all; for in those matters about which there is wont to be varied opinions among teachers of higher dis­ tinction among our Catholic schools no one is to be prevented from following the opinion which seems to him the more probable."
--- End quote ---

dellery:

--- Quote from: Insanis on June 07, 2021, 10:35:13 PM ---Would you ever argue against the theology taught by Saint Thomas Aquinas?

What are your views on his works?

--- End quote ---

No. People like me aren't qualified to have opinions on these matters.

It looks like you're looking for an argument here, Insanis.

Insanis:

--- Quote from: dellery on June 08, 2021, 07:16:13 AM ---No. People like me aren't qualified to have opinions on these matters.

It looks like you're looking for an argument here, Insanis.

--- End quote ---

That is an interesting perception.

I am not looking for an argument: I am, like some of my other polls, asking a question that Catholics should answer in a particular way, to see if dissent is present.

This forum has unusual patterns of activity, so it is hard to judge a forum's overall view on something because the activity on any given day is usually dominated by a small number of posters, and those posters can change day to day.

mikemac:
I have never read the Summa or much of Saint Thomas Aquinas works, other than what members here have suggested or quoted.  Although I don't imagine the Church calls him the Angelic Doctor for nothing.

The only thing that I would disagree with Saint Thomas about is the Immaculate Conception.  As did St. John Duns Scotus and finally the Church itself. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version